Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer Bearing and Seal Replacement?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
skitique179 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitique179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer Bearing and Seal Replacement?
    Posted: March-28-2012 at 1:06am
So I am checking off the to do list before the big boat trip this summer. Knock on wood I think we have our mechanical issues worked out(at least for now). Fit in a tow session after work yesterday and everything ran great!

One thing left on the list, however, is replacing the bearings and seals on the trailer. I am curious if anyone knows what a ballpark cost might be to have this done?

Also it seems relatively straightforward? Is it something to attempt DIY or be safe and have a pro do it. I would like to not have a bearing blow halfway to the lake...

Thanks!
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 1:18am
Very easy to do a bearing replacement. You can do it yourself. I want to say the bearings for my 1984 trailer were around $40 each but don't quote me on that. I got mine at NAPA.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Foot_Fungus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foot_Fungus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 11:19am
Pretty easy DIY, just requires patience to get the races out. All the tools you need are standard toolbox stuff. Figure about 30-40 for 2 sets of inner and outer bearings/races, 2 seals, and a lot of marine grade grease. Some people also replace the cotter pin and spindle nut depending on condition. If you want to save a bunch of time and don't mind spending a little more money(usually 50-70 a hub) places like etrailer and nothern tool sell preloaded ready to go complete hubs. All you do is take off the spindle nut, pull the old hub off and slide the new hub on.

Very good wrie-up here: Click Me
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 12:42pm
You can also have a local trailer place or auto shop press out and press in new races for you for very little $$$, might be worth it. The trailer shop here uses an air chisel to blast them out and a press to put them in FWIW.

That is a damn nice writeup if I do say so myself.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 3:14pm
easiest way to get the old races out is to run a bead of weld around them...they will come out with one or two taps from a punch.
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

That is a damn nice writeup if I do say so myself.

Meh.

The writeup is ok, I guess... but the boat sure is sharp looking!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic