NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Custom 1965 Correct Craft Mustang build

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1617181920 32>
Author
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2013 at 3:20pm
Your way ahead of me then Jim.What are you doing for side panels? I found that those were the most fiddly things to do,alot of time fitting cutting refitting. Looking at your setup if you use ones like originally were in there might give you fits too mostly by the rear seat bottom and maybe the front one too
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2013 at 8:48pm
Not a big fan of the side panels gary, I like the idea of plain black carpeting for the sides, I think it looks more clean cut that way.

I forgot to take pics of the steps I made so I included a pic of the improved seat back. I found some mahogany local, finally.

OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2013 at 9:01pm
You are doing nice work. The fun of custom is the creativity it allows. I love designing things on the fly, but the drawback is I almost always figure out something I could have done better as the project progresses. Thanks for all the pics, someone had to pic up the slack for Alan now that the Hurricane is complete.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2013 at 9:10pm
I like the look of the side panels Jim but they also take up more room than you can imagine. Until I put them in I had carpet too and black I think will go good with your hull colors.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2013 at 11:36pm
The seat work looks really nice. However I don't understand how the spotter will be able to keep an eye on the skier with everything facing forward?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2013 at 12:28am
He can do it the old school way,not all Correct Craft ski boats had rear facing seats

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2013 at 12:17pm
You Re making great progress. It looks very nice to me.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2013 at 12:26pm
We went with painted sides in place of the side panels. If you go that route, Bin it really well so they don't bleed through down the road. Your boat is looking great.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2013 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by Hussler Hussler wrote:

[/URL]

I will reiterate what Gary suggested- I would strongly encourage you to bring the level of the seat back down flush with the lower gunnel level, at most... setting it a bit below flush (~1/4") might be an even better idea.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2013 at 12:00am
Thanks guys, I've been really enjoying the project as of late. I'm glad to be done with a lot of the main structure of the craft, takes a big load off my mind.

As far as the rear facing seats, this thing will almost never be used for sking, I don't ski and everyone on my lake that does has a 20k+ correct craft/Mastercraft to do it with.

I do hope to have it in the ski show next year, it would be perfect for "the whip".

I got to wonder in this pic how are they skiing back and forth without ripping off the flag pole?

Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

He can do it the old school way,not all Correct Craft ski boats had rear facing seats

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2013 at 12:03am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I will reiterate what Gary suggested- I would strongly encourage you to bring the level of the seat back down flush with the lower gunnel level, at most... setting it a bit below flush (~1/4") might be an even better idea.

I'm not sure as to why? I don't like the idea of the rear body lines protruding above the seat.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2013 at 12:07am
Jim, I think its about the way the vinyl will pucker and pleat around the back. Ff that is just below the fiberglass it will all be hidden. You can even staple a welt cord to the back around that edge for a nice extra finish detail.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2013 at 12:09am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I like the look of the side panels Jim but they also take up more room than you can imagine. Until I put them in I had carpet too and black I think will go good with your hull colors.

Ever since you posted this I cant get the idea out of my head that side panels would be a great way to hide cupholders. I'd really like 4 cupholders but I dont want that **** showing.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2013 at 12:19am
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

Jim, I think its about the way the vinyl will pucker and pleat around the back. Ff that is just below the fiberglass it will all be hidden. You can even staple a welt cord to the back around that edge for a nice extra finish detail.

I was thinking about having a small backer piece sewn onto the back so no pleating or staples showing.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2013 at 3:56pm
Going to probably start breaking down the motor soon, damn shame to take apart something that runs, oh well I guess its part of the game.

Video VVV

Also test fit the exhaust manifold and valve cover to one of the new trickflows, interference of maybe 1/4" tops. I could grind off part of the valve cover but I really want chrome covers anyway (already enroute) If the cover didnt have the decrotive heat sink on top it would have been a non issue.

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2014 at 2:46am
Very interesting development today. Pulled the head on the bank with 50psi on one cylinder to find.... nothing. I was shocked to not see scored walls, as the blowby was quite severe. That was until I looked at the heads. Cracks in between the valves on the middle two cylinders! The plot thickens. Now I done see how those cracks could attribute to blowby. Any thoughts? I cant upload pics from my phone, my laptop literally caught fire in my lap (seemed the screen harness chafed on the hinge and shorted it out)
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2014 at 4:38am
Just kidding, apparently I can post pics from my phone.unfortunately the phonewouldn't pick up the cracks in the head

All the cylinders look very nice. I don't understand how there could be so much blow by.

Stock bore, always nice to see.

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2014 at 4:43am
Oh yeah, and I got my new valve covers. Very nice look to them. I'm also converting the
Motor from breather style to pcv

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2014 at 10:08am

Oh yeah, and I got my new valve covers. Very nice look to them. I'm also converting the
Motor from breather style to pcv

Jim, what's the advantage of going to a PCV valve instead of the breathers?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2014 at 3:51pm
No fumes can escape, keeps the spark arrestor cleaner. Not much really. I think it looks nicer too. I'm copying the way they did it on the marinized FE blocks so it should work out just fine
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2014 at 3:58pm
PCM 351w's were set up with PCV's from the get go. Sounds like someone modified yours if it only had breathers.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2014 at 9:35pm
This is a commander motor. Not sure why a company would go the breather route.

Question, if the cross hatching is gone but the walls are not scored could I still have blowby? Seemed to only happen when the motor was warm, which doesn't make sense to me
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2014 at 10:36pm
Blow by implies losing cylinder pressure through the piston rings. Perhaps you could tell us what symptoms led you to that diagnosis. Then we could poke holes in your theory rather than guess at what you're seeing.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2014 at 11:33pm
Well on my few runs in August after the motor warmed up, at full speed the motor was shooting oil out the breathers and the carb. Seemed to run fine though and could idle very, very low. It would show 120 psi on all cylinders except one, at 50psi. I deemed it a bad ring/piston. Open removing the head on that cylinder, the exhaust seat is completely worn down/gone and it is cracked between the valves. It was most definitely not closing. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2014 at 12:51am
"Shooting oil" is a pretty amazing amount of blow by. I wouldn't expect one cylinder at 50 psi to cause that amount of pressure in the crankcase, though I suppose at WOT it might. The carb though - that's a long path for oil! Has to get past the rings and be blown back up through the faulty intake valve.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2014 at 1:30am
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

"Shooting oil" is a pretty amazing amount of blow by. I wouldn't expect one cylinder at 50 psi to cause that amount of pressure in the crankcase, though I suppose at WOT it might. The carb though - that's a long path for oil! Has to get past the rings and be blown back up through the faulty intake valve.

To establish how much pressure their was, the filter elements in the breathers started to push their way out the tubes towards the arrestor!
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2014 at 5:56am
I would pull the suspect piston and examine it since that is the most likely culprit. Before you do so you should examine the heads and old intake gaskets / surfaces carefully. How were your intake gaskets? If the valve seat was destroyed and the valve was not closing / sealing it would be possible, but not likely, that the combustion pressures may have blown out the gasket between the intake manifold and the head causing the combustion pressures to escape into the valley, pressurizing the crankcase. If it was ruptured the intake cycle could draw air / oil into the port and the compression pressure could also force this mixture back into the intake manifold / carburetor. I would not think that this would occurr if the engine is capable of making 50# of compression. A completely destroyed valve guide could cause this condition as well, but it would be very visibly damaged to do this. Are your valve guide seals in the proper positions? If the seal on the dead cylinder has been forced up the valve stem it may indicate a valve guide problem significant enough to cause a problem. Is there a burn mark on the too of the piston? The leaking valve could conceivably cause the mixture to go lean and the resulting high temperature could damage the piston behind the compression ring. How was the plug when you examined it? These are all things that can be easily checked visually. I hope this helps.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2014 at 9:44am

Well on my few runs in August after the motor warmed up, at full speed the motor was shooting oil out the breathers and the carb. Seemed to run fine though and could idle very, very low. It would show 120 psi on all cylinders except one, at 50psi. I deemed it a bad ring/piston. Open removing the head on that cylinder, the exhaust seat is completely worn down/gone and it is cracked between the valves. It was most definitely not closing. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

So you have a cracked head and a valve seat that isnt sealing. It doesnt take much of a leap of faith to see how this might result in a pressurized crank case. Thats what youre experiencing... blow by isnt a symptom, but a potential cause.

Replace the head thats cracked, get a valve job done on the other (or just get a new set of heads) and I bet youre in business.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2014 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

I would pull the suspect piston and examine it since that is the most likely culprit. Before you do so you should examine the heads and old intake gaskets / surfaces carefully. How were your intake gaskets?

Head gasket looked good, intake gasket looked well sealed.

If the valve seat was destroyed and the valve was not closing / sealing it would be possible, but not likely, that the combustion pressures may have blown out the gasket between the intake manifold and the head causing the combustion pressures to escape into the valley, pressurizing the crankcase.

It was just the exhaust valve that went bad, intake had a crack in the seat but nothing that could cause a large pressure leak.

A completely destroyed valve guide could cause this condition as well, but it would be very visibly damaged to do this. Are your valve guide seals in the proper positions? If the seal on the dead cylinder has been forced up the valve stem it may indicate a valve guide problem significant enough to cause a problem. Is there a burn mark on the too of the piston? The leaking valve could conceivably cause the mixture to go lean and the resulting high temperature could damage the piston behind the compression ring. How was the plug when you examined it? These are all things that can be easily checked visually. I hope this helps.

Valve guides seem to be in good shape, but the valve seals definitely leak. Seals appear to be properly installed. All the pistons look good, minor carbon buildup on all but nothing that looks bad. All spark plugs look evenly washed.

And thanks!
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2014 at 11:03pm

So you have a cracked head and a valve seat that isnt sealing. It doesnt take much of a leap of faith to see how this might result in a pressurized crank case. Thats what youre experiencing... blow by isnt a symptom, but a potential cause.

Wellll the crack doesn't go all the way through to the valvetrain (guess I should have stated that, just a surface crack through the seats). And if the valves weren't seating/sealing it wouldn't cause air to somehow enter the crankcase, just the intake or exhaust.

Replace the head thats cracked, get a valve job done on the other (or just get a new set of heads) and I bet youre in business.

If you back up a couple posts youll see that I got new heads quite a while ago

Thanks for more insight!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1617181920 32>
  Share Topic