Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Different Distributor for Different Heads??

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Different Distributor for Different Heads??
    Posted: January-26-2012 at 6:02pm
I stumbled across this item under Clearance on the Skidim website. It is a Prestolite, two wire (no ballast) distributor, that is said to be specifically for RH engines (obvious) that are High Output or have GT-40 heads (not so obvious).

It says that the advance curve is set specifically for these engines. I though it was interesting. Would the advance be more or less aggressive, or just greater in range? Why?

Clearance with Special Dizzy at the Bottom
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2012 at 10:53am
Brian - The advance curve they have is pretty mild. I think it is 18 degrees.

That is essentially the same dizzy I put in my boat. (Mine is LH).      It works great; but not satisfied with stock, I sent it to a dizzy shop & they put in a lighter spring & extended the guide slots(for the weights) so it would climb the advance curve faster & get 24 degrees of variable advance.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2012 at 11:18am
The science behind it is higher compression needs less total advance, the flame front moves faster in a denser charge, so peak combustion pressure happens sooner.
There is probably a small diference in total span from the std. unit.
I doubt one could tell seat of the pants or enough to hurt anything if crossed up.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic