Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1978 Nautique Mechanical Refurbishment

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1978 Nautique Mechanical Refurbishment
    Posted: November-08-2011 at 2:27pm
Belts and hoses,battery connections, impeller, plugs...   I was lookng for a list of things or parts to check or replace for an 1978 Ski Nautique besides the big items, such as an engine rebuild or transmission overhaul, or structural work. Also, what is the name of the part that allows one to hook up the motor to a hose and run it safely out of the water. Thanks,   Steve
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2011 at 2:59pm
You can use the Fake a Lake to run it in the driveway.
Along with the plugs I assume you're going to do wires, cap, rotor etc...

- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2011 at 3:09pm
Points still? If so, I'd suggest keeping another set in your inventory. We ran into some troubles this year and now keep a few extra sets around just in case.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2011 at 3:27pm
not just battery connections, all connections
tune up kit components (points, cap, condenser, rotor, plug wires)
Transmission fluid
alignment
filters (fuel, oil, raw water, but I dont think your boat has a raw water filter)

By flush part, I am guessing you are referring to the Perko Flush kit. Most people recommend against them. Not because they are so bad (tho there have been stories of failures) but because they are a $145 expense you dont need. Its easy enough to pull your intake hose at the thru hull and either clamp a garden hose into it, or extend it and drop it in a bucket and draw from the bucket (recommended on occasion so as to verify your raw water pump is good)

Some folks put a T fitting on their intake hose for about $15 in parts as an alternative that requires less fuss when you want to flush.

EDIT: I started this before all the other responses but got called away before I posted, so some duplication to above, but a few new things too, so I left it.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2011 at 3:11am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

EDIT: I started this before all the other responses but got called away before I posted, so some duplication to above, but a few new things too, so I left it.

work getting in the way of posting Larry?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2011 at 8:29pm
Be careful with the "Fake a Lake". I bought one and used it once. Found that I could not trust it to stay in proper position...tight against the hull. It would shift, especially when I got back up in the boat, and slide out of position not providing enough water.
Now I disconnect the the hose that draws water from the thru hull fitting. Run the garden hose into it and clamp it down. Got to make sure you have a garden hose that is sturdy and won't collapse (check for kinks in the hose, make sure you have consistent water flow).
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2011 at 8:39am
Opinions please on parts sources, skidim, marineparts.com ...    Thanks
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2011 at 4:06pm
I also would stay away from the fake a lake. You can get all the parts to build the one in the picture above from Lowes.

Might want to check your raw water impellar. There are some little brass fittings on the ends of your throttle cable. I have had those break.

Skidim is a great source for parts. you could also check My correct parts. They are a site sponsor.
83Ski
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2011 at 4:09pm
Get some pictures of your boat up Steve
83Ski
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2011 at 12:43am
Picking boat up tomorrow
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2011 at 11:00am
My PCM manifolds are green, does any one know what the color is, I want to repaint. I have seen photos of other boats on CCF with green, they are faded and I don't have a decent photo.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2011 at 11:20am
Like this?

Thats a waukesha engine then, That picture is keeganinos, you could PM him or Im sure someone will chime in where to get.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2011 at 11:45am
Waukesha became Pleasurecraft- so the parts are the same, and the colors should be too.

Im pretty sure Keegan or Marty eyeballed the green color they used on his manifolds... they look pretty good but are probably a little on the bright side. Try and get as close to the original color as possible! Faded is better than nothing... clean them up and use that as your sample to match.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2011 at 11:57am
If you could get a bolt out of the riser or something that had some paint on it you could take it in to an auto paint shop and they could probably match it.

Check out this search on summit

They have grabber green (maybe what keeg used) and kermit green.
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2011 at 1:14pm
Thanks guys, my motor is old Ford blue, the manifolds/risers are a darker green, closer to the grabber green by Rustoleum. I will try to post some photos, it is hard because I am primarily using an iPad which makes the photo uploading difficult.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2011 at 1:27pm
Are you sure its Old Ford Blue? I havent seen that color matched to green manifolds- at least not originally. Keegan's motor (above) is probably that color. The Waukesha's and early PCM's had dark blue (navy-ish) blocks, which had the green manifolds paired to them. Ive seen a few all-blue motors (manifolds included) that were a little lighter shade. By '79 or '80, PCM went to silver and black.
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2011 at 2:11pm
Tim, I am not sure of the blue color name, it is a darker, more Navy than Keegan's motor, so is the green, darker. I believe these are the original paint colors, it's too worn to have been redone. I have also seen a 77, or 78 posted on CCF within the past month that looks like mine, just can't find it. I wil post a picture next week, I realize that is the best way to get a correct answer. Thanks for you input, Steve
MAN - GA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAN - GA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2011 at 2:27pm
For those that have cut in a "T" on the freshwater pickup from the thru-hull 90 how do you keep the hose water from running back out the thru-hull opening. I have always done the bucket method but for the $15 bucks would like to get a "T" connection on mine, but the only way I see doing it is get a ball valve between the 90 for freshwater pickup and the "T" connection to keep the hose water volume on the pump side.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2011 at 2:27pm
try to take some pieces somewhere and get them matched. Thats your best bet. Or just get some rattle cans that are close if you arent worried about exact. Maybe it looks darker because everything has a thin layer of grease on it.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2011 at 2:27pm
Does it look similar to one of these?

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2011 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by MAN - GA MAN - GA wrote:

For those that have cut in a "T" on the freshwater pickup from the thru-hull 90 how do you keep the hose water from running back out the thru-hull opening. I have always done the bucket method but for the $15 bucks would like to get a "T" connection on mine, but the only way I see doing it is get a ball valve between the 90 for freshwater pickup and the "T" connection to keep the hose water volume on the pump side.

No need for that extra valve- thats the beauty of the tee. The pump will self prime. If the hose cant supply as much water as the pump wants, then it will simply pull some air through the intake grate to compensate for that. With a valve shutting off the intake, you stand the risk of collapsing the garden hose and running the engine completely dry... which is not a good scenario.

With a simple tee, so long as you have enough water to keep the impeller lubricated and the engine cool, youre golden. Even weak water pressure is fine- it doesnt take much water to accomplish the above 2 things under no load.
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2011 at 3:18pm
Tim, it looks like the bottom 2 pictures, those are the photos I have seen but could not find again. Any idea what that color blue, and green is called. Do you believe that is the original colors, that red nautique looks to be around my 78's vintage. Thanks!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2011 at 3:53pm
I pulled those pictures from 4 different boats in the diaries- all from the '74-77 vintage. I would say that if your engine matches them, then its the original colors.

I cant help you on the particular colors- I havent had to match them before. I do think the Rustoleum Grabber Green looks pretty close, at least on this monitor... but youre best off going to an auto parts store to see what they have thats close. You'll want to use high temp paint on the manifolds, and preferably the block as well.
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2011 at 4:00pm
Ok, thanks, old Ford blue is name I thought I had looked at the auto parts store,and internet search. I will check again, it is definitely a darker blue and green than Keegan's. There are at least 3 shades of Ford blue depending on the era.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2011 at 4:15pm
Just for reference Steve I painted mine 1941-48 Ford Blue

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2011 at 4:27pm
I found Eastwood paints has a Dark Ford Blue used from mid 70's through 1980. Gary your color, and engine look great, where did you get your valve covers?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2011 at 6:21pm
My valve covers Steve are part of the original Holmam Moody conversion.You can get chrome ones at just about any Ford vendor. Don't tell anyone but I added 35hp just by changing over to these

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2011 at 8:09pm
Thanks Gary, that is the type of result I am shooting for, really amazing when you see the starting point on some of these boats.
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2011 at 11:43pm
Going to pull my engine, any threads that exists for how to,tips?
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2011 at 11:43am
uhh well, it has been documented. I just did it. Just unhook the wiring harness, the batter cables, the water line, the throttle and shifter cables, the 4 bolts in the coupler from the tranny to the shaft... I dont think anyone really did a step by step. Its not too difficult. Do you have a cherry picker? Just make sure you have clearance to get over the side of the boat, so dont make your chain to long or you will not be able to get it over. I know some people have had to let the air out of a tire to get it over the side.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic