Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

windshield fabrication

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Lazarus II View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazarus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: windshield fabrication
    Posted: September-08-2005 at 8:10am
Hey all im doing my best to resurrect my 79 SN and i dont have a complete windshield, the desire to cough up the big bux for a re-pro, nor the patience to scour the globe looking for a used one for too much money. That said, i have 2 options; 1)rock out with no windshield (not crazy 'bout that one) or 2)
construct one myself. My thought is to make a two piece windshield out of bent 3/8" or 1/2" plexiglass. Im not worried about actually making it, no problem, I just wondered if anyone else has done this or has any useful thoughts on the matter. Any pics would be great.

Thanx in advance
Zack
Going fast never hurt a soul, its the sudden stops that get ya!!!!!!
79 Ski Nautique
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2005 at 1:04pm
Someone posted that a wrecked '74 is being auctioned. Windshield would probably be similiar if not exact.

Not meaning to sound rude, but a home made plexiglass windshield would look like crud, regardless of your talents. A good clean (factory) windsheild is key in making any old boat look good.
hyper1685 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hyper1685 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2005 at 8:40pm
my windshield shattered last year. i put Lexan in its place until i can find a replacment. the lexan has held up well.

Chris
neal.west View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neal.west Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2005 at 12:50pm
Windshield was probably made by Taylor Made. Check their website, they may have the exact glass. They were very helpful when I replace all the molding in mine last winter.
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2005 at 8:12pm
Rancho Marine recycling may have the trim and windshield you need It's in Rancho Cordoba, Ca near Sacramento.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2005 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by Rick Rick wrote:

Rancho Marine recycling may have the trim and windshield you need It's in Rancho Cordoba, Ca near Sacramento.

The place to which Rick refers has a website as well - www.boatrecycling.com. If believe
it's actually Rancho Cordova. Anyway, check out the site, you can get a phone number from there.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

wakemaniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakemaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2006 at 2:37am
I used 3/16" thick lexan, I could have probably used 1/4". It's quite easy to fabricate, start with a cardboard template and fit that to the frame, then cut your lexan a little bit larger than the cardboard template and trim to fit. I used and angle grinder with a zip disk to cut the lexan, super easy to do, just be careful of the fumes, they're kinda nasty to say the least. When you're done and it fits perfect, take the lexan out one last time and trace it onto another piece of cardboard and save the template for the next time.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic