Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'95 odd starting issue

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gbknbrd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gbknbrd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '95 odd starting issue
    Posted: August-30-2011 at 1:38pm
I have searched the forums looking for similar problems, but decided to throw this out there to see any ideas.

I have a 95 SN, 351 PCM EFI. It starts up fine 99% of the time, but twice now I have almost been stranded far upriver from the trailer. Both times was after running the boat for more than an hour, start and stop, on and off the whole time. Parked it for 3-4 hours and then when trying to start to go home, it would crank but never start. The first time it happened it would actually pop in the manifolds (getting fuel, right?), this last time it wouldn't pop or start for even a second. Here is the odd part: both times it finally started (after 15 mins of cranking on and off, waiting in between to cool off, the battery cables were getting hot) after I removed the plastic cover on top of the engine. It's the plastic cover that says PCM, etc. that I think is only there for looks. As soon as I took it off, the boat fired instantly.

Any ideas what's going on? The first time it happened I thought maybe it was still partially in gear, trying to start under load and I was sitting in weeds. Next time I made sure it was in neutral, in clean water. Possibly a pinched wire under the cover? Bad fuel? Another note: I had been using 10% ethanol (didn't know it was bad until researching on here). I need to get a bottle of ethanol treatment and start using straight unleaded.

Sorry if my ideas are completely off, I'm not a mechanic by any means, but very handy and willing to learn more. I'm looking for any advice.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2011 at 2:18pm
Not that odd for your engine actually. Use the best gas you can find, preferably no ethanol). Search the forums for "vapor lock", there have been many threads on it here with similar issues, and a variety of fixes.
gbknbrd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gbknbrd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2011 at 8:55pm
I was under the false assumption vapor lock didn't happen to EFI. I'll head down that path.

For what's left in my fuel tank, pour in some treatment for the ethanol? What's a good brand that I can find locally?
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2011 at 10:46pm
Star-tron is my favorite, but others prefer Stabil. How are your spark plugs? When was the last time you did them? Not to say youre on the wrong track but its a good basic check to make.
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2011 at 10:48pm
Oh another issue I had once was my coil was over heating and causing me to not have proper spark. If I let it cool off would start and run ok for a while. Just another possibility
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
scooter t View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2011 at 11:11pm
Another good stabilizer with the added benefits of a cleaning agent is sea foam. I get it from Advance Auto and Wally World.
I Love to ski, but what I Love more is watching my children learn to Love it too.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2011 at 11:36pm
If you have the protec ignition, that would be the 1st thing to suspect.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic