NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Marinised PCM/Ford

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2011 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

Not backpedaling at all. If you want to argue semantics, go ahead.
350's are known as 5.7's. While the 97+ vettes were 346 CI, they were still known as 5.7's.

Its not semantics. The 350 design dates back to the 50's. The LS series of engines was a clean sheet redesign for '97 that shares no components. Just because the LS1 (346) shares a similar displacement as the old engine and rounds to the same tenth of a liter doesnt make them "the same", regardless of what you think they were commonly "known" as- and I suspect youre not right about that either. The 346 shares little more in common with the 350 as it does a Ford 351w.

Like I said, you better stick to the Ford stuff.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2011 at 3:00pm
It's still semantics.

And I'll stick to my ford stuff because I have not had a ford engine fail while I've had a couple GM's catastrophically fail well before they should have.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2011 at 3:09pm
We've had 2 Gm 350's crack on the lifter valley on the last 6 months, one was a '95 and the other a '98. We also had many, but many V6s from the mid 90's crack there too. All low hour engines.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2011 at 3:54pm
hah, the guys that put them up to 5200 rpms and leave them there, a matter of not knowing any better, more prevalent in the long range cruisers
"the things you own will start to own you"
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2011 at 11:27pm
We were discussing the cracked blocks yesterday, maybe a question of luck but all of them Mercruisers.

We have 2 4.3L blocks, both Vortecs, one out of a Bayliner Sierra 2350 and the other was on a 20' Runabout. I didnt water test any of these.

Then the 2 5.7L, one pre vortec (12 bolt intake) out of another Bayliner Sierra 2350, wot at 4700, cruising at 3300rpms and the other on the Tigé, this one a Vortec, Wot at 4500 cruising at 2400rpms (13x13 stainless prop)

Engines had good compression, worked good, just emulsionated oil.
All cracked in the same place, were the head bolts pull in the lifter valley. The Pre-vortec 350 was cracking all the way around on both sides.

The general consensus around here seems to be that the castings are too thin in that area and the amount of torque from the head bolts leads to the failure.

I'm yet to see a PCM, Indmar or even a Volvo crack like this.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2011 at 2:24am
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

We were discussing the cracked blocks yesterday, maybe a question of luck but all of them Mercruisers...I'm yet to see a PCM, Indmar or even a Volvo crack like this.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the engine mounts and how they handle (transmit or absorb) vibration?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2011 at 9:41am
you can distort a block and stress it if its pulled down unevenly on the mounts and tightened that way, you will cause some type of deflection in the casting. ironically, are they all 2 bolt main blocks? some tend to think the 4 bolt mains are so the crank doesnt come flying out the bottem, but in reality they are there for block distortion, (twist)
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2011 at 11:07am
all 2 bolt mains. Low hour engines.
ky82sn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ky82sn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2011 at 12:53pm
let me stir this up a little more. what if toyota marinized one of their v8s for inboard use. would you buy it? the v8s used in toyota tundras are lasting longer than most in its class. now that would be something to invest in, provided they make them in the us.
1982 ski nautique
1966 Al Tyll Skier
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2011 at 1:00pm
Been there done that.. Toyota epic.. search it up I think we had a resonable discussion on them on here at one point.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2011 at 3:00pm
That would be the Toyota Lexus V8 Joe's talking about.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2011 at 10:11pm
It was the 4.0 OHC GS 400 motor.   It used timing belts and had good power. The fact you could get parts at any yota dealer was great, then they stopped making them.

78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
ky82sn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ky82sn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2011 at 12:45am
Toyota doesn't continue doing anything they can't make money on.
1982 ski nautique
1966 Al Tyll Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2011 at 10:04am
the aftermarket would've killed you on that engine
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2011 at 10:07am
btw, where did you hear the engines were lasting longer than any in its class? toyota commercial?
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2011 at 1:39pm
ok im going to chime in. if Correct Craft was to use a foreign motor in there boats id have a hard time swallowing that. However my mother drives a 4 runner with a v8 and surprisingly enough it has tons of power.and yes they are built tough. they last forever. but working on them is ridiculous. and i am a die hard chevy guy thus my fathers work truck which is completely original. alternator, water pump, and 1 intake gasket. vortech 350. 2000 model .....400,000 miles so to say toyota last longer is complete B S
76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2011 at 2:43am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

btw, where did you hear the engines were lasting longer than any in its class? toyota commercial?

If this is based on the 4.7 OHC v8 in first gen tundras, I guess I don't see it. That same motor is the same basic motor that the GS400 used, with different bore and or stroke, and that was the same as the epic ski boats.

Its a great motor, but I don't see it any better than the other brands, (well most of them).

The newer yota 5.7 is a very good motor, but I see no way to quantify it as better than he other brands similar sized motors, especially in only a couple of years of use.

Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2011 at 10:25am
Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

Its a great motor, but I don't see it any better than the other brands, (well most of them).

Well, you could ask the guys at Epicmarine what they think about that!!!

It's a 4L engine pulling 300hp/310tq, Weights only 650lbs , it's nice on fuel and it has proven to be at least as reliable as the other engines.

Downside, you can't get one cheap, they are talking 16 grands for one on Ebay.

Toyota VT300 V8 marine engine
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2011 at 2:14am
Luc, it has a timing belt, and those need to be replaced or you have catastrophic problems. That's one issue I have with that motor.

Maybe I'm a bit cranky at our 4.7 4runner because it needs its timing belt done now. The water pump and pulleys should be done at the same time as well, so parts are about 250-300 for factory ones, and labor is another 250 or so. It's been a solid great performing motor, so other than an odd oil filter location on the 4runner that requires a trained weasel or dropping the skid plate to change the filter, I have no issues with it. It seems to want to rev a little more to make power versus other v8's too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic