NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Poll Question: Small Boats

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Poll Question: Small Boats
    Posted: July-11-2005 at 12:39pm
Here is a general poll question for ski boat owners. Last year when I bought my ski tique, I mentioned to the seller how great these little boats were and how I was surprised that nobody made small inboards any more, that there must be a market for them. I do realize the trend is to bigger boats, baby boomers had families, need for open bows, bigger boats for boarding so you can have a dozen friends along (have all of you seen that monster mastercraft with the dual engines...its sort of the Ford Excursion of ski boats)

Anyway, understanding the demand for bigger boats, do you think there is a still a market for a 16 foot ski inboard. Obviously the boat manufacturers don't think so because they don't build them, but if you were CEO of CC, would you sell them? Or if you were a customer, would you buy one?
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2005 at 1:54pm
The only demand I see for small boats
is artificially imposed by lakes which
have a length limit (the great lakes
states seem to have quite a few of these).

On my home waterway in California, there
are so many large wakeboard boats, cruisers,
and offshore racers that it would be impractical/unsafe to consider a smaller boat.
There's just too much traffic and too many
large wakes on the weekend. Even the new ski nautiques can be pretty squirelly on the weekend.

35 years ago, when I was a kid, an 18-20 ft boat was a big boat here and most of the boats were 14-16 ft outboards. Those days are gone.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

surroundsound64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundsound64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2005 at 2:20pm
As long as money permits, I'd get the bigger one evem though I'm inlove with my 18 footer.

Mastercraft. lol. Too bad the avg. life spand on them is 3 yrs. compared to CC's 20.
1981 Ski Nautique
2000 SAN

Looking for a 2000-2006 SAN
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2005 at 2:47pm
I think the small boat market is dead. Everyone wants bigger for precisely the reasons you mention. Also, the bigger boats are designed with any kind of wake the buyer wants beit slalom or wakeboarding.

My small '77 Martinique is now for sale since I have finished restoring my larger '93 SN which I purchased soley for the extra space.
Barr68 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barr68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2005 at 3:02pm
I agree that the market seems to prefer the larger boats ,however , I see alot of mini boats and large jet skis on the water now. Chances area small ski boat produced by CC or one of the other ski boat manufacturers could not be priced competively with the large corporations like Yamaha,Skidoo, ect. Besides ,if anyone did build a small inboard skiboat ,they would have to put goofy graphics all over it to sell it.Jim.
80nauts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80nauts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2005 at 7:17pm
There will always be a demand for a small inboard boat, but the demand is based on the PRICE. I am sure if they sold one for $15,000 or less then people would buy and enjoy.
XFooter View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2005 at 11:58am
I for one would love to see Correct Craft go back to manufacturing the smaller closed bow boats. The Ski Tique and Mustang (16&17 ft) in particular. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2005 at 12:10pm
CC tried this in the late 90's with the SN 176 and Air Tique. The boat(s) did not last long, so I assume they did not move well.

the 176 at 17'-6" is three inches shorter than my '77 Martinique which is a small boat!
XFooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2005 at 12:39pm
but the late 90's SN 176 and Air Tique just don't have that classic old school look...
XFooter
Lake Pleasant/Speculator, NY
Rob L View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2005 at 1:04am
I think the small inboard market is not what it used to be because, it seems to me that for some reason, people just aren't into skiing like they used to be. All I see on the lakes now are f***ing tubes. Skiing is too much work, I guess. I don't see a whole lot of wakeboarding on my lake, but I know it's way more popular than skiing, and bigger boats are obviously better for that. Personally skiing is my sport of choice, and I'd love to have an old Ski Tique or the 176 of the '90s.
surroundsound64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundsound64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2005 at 3:53am
I hear you, Rob. Whats with all the tubes? About 2 weeks ago we went to the lake. It was like glass and we were the only boat out there. With in 30 min there were 3 other boats out there (fairly small lake) all of which were tubeing.

I was mad.

I mean, what gives? A tube on a perfectly calm day? Come on, do something that takes tallent.
1981 Ski Nautique
2000 SAN

Looking for a 2000-2006 SAN
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2005 at 10:51am
Rob and surroundsound,

You guys really struck a nerve. We are on a very small lake. For good ski conditions, you pretty much have to be out there alone, fortunately, that opportunity does exist fairly frequently. For ok conditions, one or two other boats can be out. But you are right, its always tubers messing the lake up, not following the designated path (counter clockwise rotation around the perimeter) but doing all their twists and turns. And they go all day. As an aging skier, I get tired pretty quickly so I'm on and off the lake in pretty short order. But as Rob pointed out, tubing takes no skill, talent, strength or endurance so they can stay out all day...and they do. It drives me nuts. I am against restrictions (except the one that says no jet skis on our lake) but I would like to see a time limit imposed for tubers (like tennis courts have, if people are waiting) Giving little kids something to do is fine, but if they are over five, get them on skis, a wakeboard or even a knee board. A few years ago it seemed everyone was wakeboarding, or at least attempting to, now it seems everyone is tubing. It kills me to see these $35,000 ski boats being used for nothing but tubing. Go to the Overton's catalogue and there are about 20 pages of different kinds of towables---good grief. I have been amazed this year just how few skiers I have seen. Next to none. A few wakeboarders, all tubers. I taught my kids to ski early, and now my son, 12 is into wakeboarding, which is fine. Despite their many requests when they were younger, I refused to buy a tube. I always thought that they should be doing something that takes a minimal amount of effort and skill.

Well so much for my rant...sitting at work waiting to get home to the 16'5" Tique tonight to get my short but rewarding run in.
XFooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2005 at 11:25am
yeah... with the advent of the bigger wakeboard boats and the huge wakes they produce, it's getting more and more difficult to find glass for foot'n or skiing...
XFooter
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2005 at 11:46am
XFooter,

What happened to the barefooters? I have to admit I don't ski in areas where there are very intense slalom skiers, barefooters or wakeboarders, I'm sure there are areas with real pros and enthusiasts, but I don't see any barefooters any more. 20 years ago the barefooters were the extreme skiers (and crowd pleasers!!!) Then the tide seemed to turn to the radical wakeboarders. (I have to confess, I have a nephew who does huge aerials and it is pretty impressive). Aren't people barefooting any more (and I don't mean hanging on a boom) What's wrong...are all the Nancyboys out there afraid of 40 mph face plants?
Barr 68 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barr 68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2005 at 11:50am
I think its great that people get out on the water to tube,wake board,fish ,or ski. I just don't understand why tubers and wakeboarders seem to want to seek out the smoothest parts of the water to create big wakes. Where we ski there is usually chop( which would'nt bother them muh ,if at all) in the open water ,yet most wakeboarders and tubers insist on tearing up the smooth water on the shore line. Add in bass boats(whose pilots seem to think that the coast guard rules and respect for other peoples right to enjoy the water don't apply to them), way too many jet skis( equally oblivious to common sense operating procedures), water sking is becoming extremely difficult ,if not down right dangerous. I guess we just have to show up very early and be cautous.My two cents,Jim    
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2005 at 11:54am
I concur, tubers that can't stay in one area and have to wreck an entire lake, tubers at 7am, lake lice, and wakeboarders with 3 times more wake than talent. 90% of them can't even clear both wakes, flopping around like kivers on the dock, but leaving the water only good enough for ...tubing. They can't handle the wake these boats have empty, nevermind with ballast. I can get more air on my trick skis with a 8" wake than these jokers. They fall every cut, and the boat 'has' to make a big looping turn each fall...same tards that give a new skier full throttle on a start...

Its a rare pleasure to be on the lake with a few experienced, reasonably serious skiers and help each other get decent runs.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
XFooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2005 at 12:51pm
75 Tique,

I'm thinking what's left of us footers on my lake are much like me, older and retired... thinking of better days and calmer water...

oh yeah, and those face plants!
XFooter
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2005 at 2:00pm
Thread seems to be seriously hijacked, but what the heck.

I slalom skied for over 30 years. I now mostly ride a wakeboard. Not because I think it is more fun, etc. but because it is easier on my hands and back which are so worn out I have trouble skiing.

My point is, most slalom skiers assume that wakeboarders can use the crappy water - they are wrong! Riding on smooth water is just as beneficial to a wakeboarder as it is to a skier (slalom course excepted). If anything I find the chop is tougher on my wakeboard than on my ski. However, I will agree that few wakeboarders extend the courtesies which are common amongst the slalom community, and we would all be better off if they did.

Tubers - whole different story. Here's an activity whose whole purpose is to bump the rider around, perhaps even try to throw the rider off. Yet, these geniuses do exactly the opposite and seek out smooth water. Makes you wonder if you must fail an IQ test when purchasing a tube

Now, anybody want to talk about those wakesurfers ?

BKH
Livin' the Dream

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2005 at 2:16pm
Back on track, how do those little boats handle clapped-out water? Can you pull 34 mph without it porpoising when there are flattened rollers coming from different directions? Are you gauranteed to get the inside soaked when you are mixing it up with two x-stars?
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2005 at 2:32pm
Gotta ski,

To be honest, obviously the new bigger boats are superior to the older small boats, smoother, quieter, drier, smaller wake, no rooster tail, much better both inside and behind the boat. That being said, I have the old Tique and a newer Supra. I'm selling the newer Supra. The little boat is a lot more fun and the vintage aspect adds a lot of value for me. As far as rough water running, I would imagine the newer bigger boats do a better job, but once the water is rough enough to have to worry about that, its time to park it anyway. Yeah, you probably get knocked around a little bit more in the little boat and you certainly get a little wetter (but it is fun seeing the wave over the windshield hit the unsuspecting victim in the observer seat)

Like Xfooter said, for people like me, I guess its the nostogia factor. I grew up on a 66 Mustang. Lots of terrific memories. If I were a fabulous skier stuggling to make it from 38 to 39.5 off, I guess I would have a new boat, but for my purposes, the vintage craft hits the mark.
Shredhead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shredhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2005 at 3:18pm
75 Tique:

Wakeboarding is the best thing that ever happened to footing. The boarders all sleep in and leave the glass to us old timers.

A small boats not really that much of a problem if you have a place on the lake. You can switch equipment, drop people off etc. But if your a day boater, towing to the lake, you have a ton of gear and a family, then a big boat is a necessity. I think that is why there is a much larger market for big boats.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2005 at 4:09pm
Shred,

You make a good point, one that I had thought of before. "In the old days" I think the vast majority of boat owners did have summer places on the lake. Now, a ton more people have boats, but lake front property is scarce and expensive. Hence, all the day boaters with all the gear and the gang and coolers. It only makes sense to have a boat that can handle that.

About the glass in the morning (don't the boarders call it "butter"?) You are right. As a rule, our lake is vacant till about 11:00 AM, even on saturdays and sundays.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2005 at 2:14am
Don't get me started. Oops, too late. Regarding the small inboard question, I wish 75 Tique had never raised the issue, as I've pondered that for way too long, and continue to today, and this evening. I personally have always preferred the smaller inboards, but mostly for pure cruising pleasure and fun, and I've got one of each. For anyone whose had a Tique/Mustang and a Nautique, or ridden in both, hopefully you don't try to compare apples to apples. It's like comparing a single seat PWC to a 3-seater. Which one do you want to cut-up and play on and which one would you take to dinner?

So what happened to the small ski boat? Most people on this site can either recall or have viewed the photos of a 14' Atom Skier. A FOURTEEN FOOT inboard ski boat! Unfortunately, I feel that in addition to skier's requirements, that financial obtainability has had a lot to do with the demise of the smaller boats. If you think the new boats are expensive these days, take a comparitive look at what a new CC cost 35 years ago and how far out of reach it was to so many of us. And one other issue just hit me this very second. Back 30-40 years ago, there was not a market full of used 18-20 footers like there is today. Back then, the Ski Nautique was still a new, fledgling breed, so many more buyers may have been inclined to go with the smaller, more economical boat, as not many similarly priced or caliber boats were available. Today, a new Tique would obviously command 30K+, and if you can get a 3 year old 20' SN for the same or slightly more $$, what are you gonna do?

But I'm not throwing in the towel just yet. You've seen that Mini Cooper, haven't you? And running a quick new ZR6 Nautique will indeed put smile on your face, but an equally quick 55 mph 16 footer will wet your pants. In more ways than one.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2005 at 12:28pm
Yeah, I think I know what you mean. I have both a 17'-9" '77 Martinique (small in my book, but not as small as the Ski Tique) and a '93 SN. Huge difference in interior space between the two which is what I need with three boys. I have owned the '77 since '89 and love it...the throttle response is amazing. The only problem with the boat is that CC did not put tracking fins (skegs) on the Martiniques even though it is the same hull as the SN's of the same era. So, the boat slides and leans in the turns. Still a great boat that has served us well.

Bottom line: No space to own two boats, so the '77 must go. Any takers?
IrishFooter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2005 at 11:54pm
I love my 79 nautique but I also love to foot first thing in the morning before the afore mentioned tubers and wakeboarders come out to chop up the water. The beam is too small on my boat to use the boom for deepwater and backward starts and its too small later in the day to throw everybody on and head dwon the river to consume a few spirits and relax. So if I had it to do over I would have bought a bigger open bow and a newer one cause im tired of pulling wrenches on mine.   
1979 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic