Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Steering cable replacement on a 95 SN - do it!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2016 at 2:00pm
Told NP about my issue and they said...

"The rudder would spin freely until it gets in a bind with any pressure on it"
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
FredWSauer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FredWSauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2016 at 12:55am
Mark - Thanks for the tips! I had already run the cable with a rope attached so I was happy to see that was a good idea! My 93 has 680 hours and the wheel was major two handed turns all week! Just got back from vacation up north and stripped the boat down and pulled it out. Did the job with my 14 year old. Put him in charge of the dash side and I did the dirty end. - Fred

- FWS
1993 Ski Nautique
1978 Glastron T-160
1994 Weeres Pontoon - Wife's Boat
Scrawford View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrawford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 11:16am
Had that same problem. It means you need to repack the rudder. Like NP said, once the prop wash pushes against the rudder it causes it to bind in the packing. Pick up some bearing grease, new packing from your local marina and about an hour labor and you're good to go. Be careful though because when you remove the stuff off the top of the arm and loosen the packing nut the rudder will drop down and hit the trailer.
Eric

97 196 Closed Bow
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic