Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

93' SNCB vs. 2003 196

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
pdxcc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdxcc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 93' SNCB vs. 2003 196
    Posted: July-08-2010 at 4:34pm
So I have a slalom wake question here. I have a 93 SNCB and my friends have a 2003 196. The slalom wake on the 2003 is substantially smaller than my boat when I am running at 30mph and 28' off. So much so that I am a bit afraid to pull into my wake as I am catching air.

Is this normal?? (I had two people and some gear so maybe 500lbs and a full tank of gas in the boat.)

I have perfectpass wakeboard pro that I run off the paddlewheel when freeskiing. I am not sure that its calibratd correclty.

What can I do to get a flatter wake when skiing.
- Run PP on the RPM Mode to avoid any lag?
- Increse my speed? (34 mph looks better, but I think my ski is too big to run this fast)
- Does the level of fuel dratically affect the wake?
-
93' SNCB - My First
SkiNautique 200 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiNautique 200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 5:01pm
buy a new boat!!
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 5:03pm
Don't put any extra crap in it.

Learn how to get over the wake.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by pdxcc pdxcc wrote:

I am a bit afraid to pull into my wake as I am catching air.

I think this is the main problem here. Any hesistancy to keep the ski on edge through the wakes will exacerbate the bouncing and "catching air". While it doesnt throw quite as nice a wake as a TSC1 or TSC2 hull, the "No Wake Zone" (1990-1996 SN) hull still throws a very decent slalom wake. Personally, I think the 2001-NWZ hull change was the most significant in improving the slalom performance of the Ski Nautique. Later generations certainly offered nice improvements, but the NWZ hull is so good, the changes have been incrementally smaller. That just my opinion though.

As far as improving your wake, there are a few things you can do. Certainly taking all of the weight out of the boat will help. Keeping the gas tank off the full mark will help a touch. Placing a bit of weight in the bow of the boat may help as well. My '90 runs pretty bow-down compared to most boats with the same hull, and it has a very nice slalom wake, IMHO. Not up to par with the '02-03 196's I ski behind regularly, but I have no complaints. The faster you go, the smaller the wake will be- but even the wake at 30mph shouldnt be "big" by any means. At 28 off you may be dealing with the rooster tail though- so I would suggest moving back to 15off and shortening the line only after you get up to 34 or 36 mph.

And keep your ski on edge!
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by pdxcc pdxcc wrote:

I am a bit afraid to pull into my wake as I am catching air.

At 28 off you may be dealing with the rooster tail though- so I would suggest moving back to 15off and shortening the line only after you get up to 34 or 36 mph.

And keep your ski on edge!

28 Off @ 30 will have some rooster. Bump the speed up to 32 to move the rooster back a bit.

The best thing you can do is get on a course, you will totally forget about the wake.

Tim

pdxcc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdxcc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 6:37pm

Whoa. Great responses. Thanks for the input. I was defiantely looking for the input on the speed/line length. This is a rather new thing to me with trying to figure this out and refine my ski skills all at the same time. I actually got REALLY spoiled skiing behind my firends 196 as it is on their private lake with a course.

I will let everyone know how the advice works!!!

Cheers
Brett
93' SNCB - My First
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic