Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Marine Motor in 1965 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tack77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tack77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marine Motor in 1965 Mustang
    Posted: May-31-2010 at 3:12am
Hello,

I was referred to this forum from a guy at allfordmustangs.com who said I can find a great deal of knowledge about marine motors here.

Here it is, I have 1965 Mustang powered by what i thought was a 302 from an 80's model mustang. The other day I was having a look at the carburetor and I noticed a metal tag on the intake. the tag said "Kiekhaefer Mercury Div of Brunswick Corp. It has the serial number of 3322697. Upon research I noticed this is an intake from a marine motor, which leads me to believe this whole thing is a marine motor.

I was wondering what anyone can tell me about this motor? Also, are parts interchangable with an ordinary 302 long block? Could i feasibly add an EFI?

Any Help would be appreciated

Thanks
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2010 at 4:39am
Busy weekend for boaters, you may have to wait till tuesday but you will find your answer here. Welcome. You need a vintage correct craft mustang to pull behind your ford.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2010 at 1:22pm
Like this !!

Mustang leading Mustang

The blocks are the same. The 289/302 of that era in a Correct Craft spun the other way. Some one must have had one laying around and switched it back to LH(standard) rotation. Guys here usually convert LH to RH.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2010 at 1:53pm
I don't think a Mercury Marine engine from the 80s would have been reverse rotation. Will be interesting to follow this thread.

I think Boat Dr. is a certified Kiekhaefer guy. There are several others who are very knowledgable.

Guys in the know should be back by Tuesday.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2010 at 2:19pm
That Kiekhaefer is usually associated with inboard outboard Mercury . Which would more than likely be standard rotation . The engine block should be the same .
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2010 at 3:36pm
The block is the same, and so is the intake. The heads will have brass freeze plugs if it were a marinized motor.

I know PCM ,who made most of the marine engines for correct crafts, took most off the shelf ford parts and either changed little things like the freeze plugs and added other equipment like a raw water pump to pump lake water into the motor. The rotation may change, but otherwise the parts are the same casting numbers usually.

My 351w in my boat had a stock ford manifold on it and they simply ground off the firing order cast into the runners so people wouldn't get confused and try to run a car firing order.

78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2010 at 3:59pm
The engines were treated a little different at Stillwater.During the 70's they received rotating assemblies , some of these were designated as "S" blocks.Some were one off motors also,The famous ZR1 Corvette motor was built by M/Cruiser at stillwater Ok.Lottsa go fast behind closed doors there.I was there last in 1995 for schooling on their 502 Bulldog EFI , bad to the bone motor.
The motor in question appears to be an 888 M/Cruiser built from 1971 thru 1977
Start # 3108723 = 1971
Ending# 4612109 = 1977
tack77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tack77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2010 at 9:48pm
Thank you all for the information, I certainly appreciate it. This is anice site by the way, id love to someday own a vintage boat.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic