NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

splitting boat

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: splitting boat
    Posted: March-31-2010 at 2:12am
Is there any pros and cons of splitting a hull from the top deck. and what precautions should I take. I have to so I can replace support board on top deck. Thanks
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2010 at 11:40am
I have succesfully removed the deck off boats before, you should support the hull sides in some manor after the deck is removed.
What kind of boat needs the deck substraite replaced? Can you consider flipping the boat and re-working the deck?
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2010 at 1:06pm
Well its a 72 separator, the one I just got back from the bum that screwd me on gell and stringers. the boat is currently flipped on its top now, just dont think there is enough room to cut glass in bow. is there a trick to this kind of fix. looking at it the back seem like it will be OK to do but the front poses a challenge. if i do get glass off front is there going to be warping of hood if i leave it together. BTW on the inside the hull and top are glassed together
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2010 at 2:39pm
Jeff,   Some freak out every time I mention the word "hammer" But that's what it takes.   A hammer and a sharp knife, it doesn't even have to be a big knife.   Drill out the rivets first, use the same size drill bit.   They are probably 1/8" or 3/32" rivets.   Drill the heads off, then tap them in and thru with a drift punch.   Use the same holes to line up the deck and re-rivet when it's time to go back on.   

PS: watch for a brown truck today

AT
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2010 at 2:50pm
I had to split my Supra to redo the stringers and floor. I did what DrCC said with regards to the rivets. I built a structure for the top to spend the winter in that supported it fairly well. I lifted my top using the 4 cleats, then put wooden supports underneath the gunwales. I've seen some lowered down onto a metal tube frame cart, also.

I haven't put mine back together yet, but the plan is to reverse the process, fit it together (I've heard it can be like putting a lid on tupperware), lining up the rivet holes and riveting it back together from there.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2010 at 4:02pm
Some shots of Okie's project. Supra is a little more cumbersome with the inside walls in the hull arrangement.

I applaud your efforts Okie. I had a Comp for 11 years. Great boat, but lots of wood. One day a friend stepped on the back seat to get to the platform and his foot went just about down to the bilge. Thats not why I sold it, but I would have never had the drive that youve got to fix it.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2010 at 8:10pm
Hay Doc ! brown truck came,WOW cool wheel it will make the little woman happy. thanks again! looking down from the inside is where its glassed, is that were you are talking about knife and BFH. or putting knife in seam on outside. thanks jeff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2010 at 8:14pm
Hay Larry , cool pics. BTW did you have a family member in the army, {drill instructor}.thanks jeff
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic