Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Air Chair / Hydrofoil

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Air Chair / Hydrofoil
    Posted: February-22-2010 at 12:55pm
Have you guys tried these things? They're really expensive, are they worth it?
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2010 at 3:01pm
I replaced wakeboarding with my sky ski. Much easier on your body.

Tim

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2010 at 3:12pm
The Sky Ski is better then the Air Chair IMHO, have ridden both and the Ski is not as "reactive" when you don't want it to be.

They are not as affected by choppy water so it is something you can do when the water is bad. Landing aerial tricks is very smooth as long as you land upright, LOL. Deep clean water is also important, they draft quite a bit and do not run through weeds very well.

Never ridden one with a shock tower, don't think it would really be necessary unless you were getting some very big air.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2010 at 3:58pm
nice faceplants while u r learing..LOL only tried once though..not easy to find one of those down here..
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2010 at 4:12pm
say. what´s the difference between air chair and sky ski?
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2010 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

say. what´s the difference between air chair and sky ski?

It is the design. The Sky Ski is a bit more refined. I have not rode the newer airchairs.

I started with an original air chair, bought a stock cast foild sky ski, moved to a sky ski with a shock tower, and now have a Sky Ski LEX.

Anybody that wants to come over and learn (Chippewa Lake, Oh) is always welcome to come over.

Tim

tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2010 at 4:42pm
I've got an Air Chair.   I'm not very good at it, but it's a lot of fun.
This Sky Ski has been on Metro Detroit Craigslist for a few weeks.

Sky Ski $1000
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2010 at 12:26am
Absolutely worth it, you might even give up riding everything else.   

Don't bother with the Air Chairs, you'll either be upgrading it soon or giving up. Sky Ski is the way to go, spend as much as you can afford, the high end foils are no more difficult to ride than the lower end stuff and you'll do less upgrading in the long run. The ski for sale in Detroit is on the expensive side, and you would do better with a newer billet foil, they are an improvement in both ride and strength.   Shock towers are only needed for those with bad backs, the newer EVO Towers seem to have enough give for most and are much lighter and less expensive.

For more info head over to FoilForum.com, there are a few hundred of us dedicated foilers, and we have a group similar to the one over here. We are spread out all over the country and chances are there is someone not to far from you who doesn't need much arm twisting to go foiling.
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2010 at 12:39pm
I'd definitely have to try it before I considered buying one. $1700+ is a lot, but I've tried wakeboarding and found it very uncomfortable.
1989 Ski Nautique 2001, 880 hours
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2010 at 7:39pm

If you're looking for someting other than boarding or skiing, go this route. Lot less than $1,700. Plus it's wicked cool and tons of fun.

(not me...stock photo)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2010 at 9:09pm
By the time you you figure in the cost of the boom, the engine upgrades if you don't happen to have a BBC in your boat, and the extra fuel your going to use this summer, I'm going to stick with an entry level foil being less. Of course once you get the bug then money is no object.

When I started I thought I would never see one of the outrageously priced LE foils. Who would pay that for something that you use so little? , Now I have 2 of them and I'm slowly building another for my son. One of these days I hope to get a boat that costs more than what's hanging on the tower.
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2010 at 12:57am
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2010 at 12:58am
Don,

Are you coming to the TEXAS reunion?
83Ski
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2010 at 1:54am
I'm thinking about it, we're doing a Mini Flyin @ Lake Murray OK the middle of May, and then we usually have another foil get together the end of June in North TX.   I'll have to see what the Travel Budget looks like after Uncle Barry gets done with me in April, but I'm thinking about it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2010 at 2:28am
Here's some better videos for you, more up to date.

Some friends who live down the road in Austin. http://www.youtube.com/user/foilfreaks#p/a/u/0/Skwt7xqH9po

This one is of Clint, the last guy in the other video, not as exciting, but it should inspire you to keep at it no mater what your working on. http://vimeo.com/6500914

By the way, there are only 3 people that I know of that can do this trick that aren't in this video.
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2010 at 2:35am
Fixed your links:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Skwt7xqH9po
http://vimeo.com/6500914

The landings are pretty incredible on these things. I think the fact that you're sitting makes them seem really easy.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2010 at 3:32am
Opps, should have checked those myself.

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2010 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

... the engine upgrades if you don't happen to have a BBC in your boat...

Brad's stock 86 2001 with 240 HP 351
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2010 at 2:53pm
Brad's 86 pulls hard no doubt.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2010 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Yeah.... we did 4 behind our '86 last summer. Deeped up.....

Barefooting and hydrofoiling go hand in hand though.

Tim

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2010 at 3:05pm
What prop was that, Acme 542? Did you ever sell your '86? If so, where'd it go?

We did 3 flyers w/ the Federal on with our '88. I highly doubt it would have pulled them out of a deep though.

I've ridden the Air Chair and a SkySki and could tell the difference, didn't really like either one though! We demoed a hydrofoil one summer. It was first for all of us, and we pretty much ended up on our heads after a few seconds. I may have posted the video of this before, I'll get it uploaded to my photobucket so it'll be in this thread.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2010 at 3:14pm

What prop was that, Acme 542? Did you ever sell your '86? If so, where'd it go?

We did 3 flyers w/ the Federal on with our '88. I highly doubt it would have pulled them out of a deep though.

I've ridden the Air Chair and a SkySki and could tell the difference, didn't really like either one though! We pretty much all ended up on our heads after a few seconds with the Air Chair.

'86 is sitting in storage right now. Going to be tough to let it go this spring.

When you come out to Kent plan on stopping over for some Sky Ski lessons....

Tim

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2010 at 3:23pm

Yes it does- that video was taken with the stock 240hp motor and stock 13x13 Federal prop! It should pull even harder now with the 540. I keep trying to talk him into a top end upgrade for a few more mph for 1-foot stuff... he hasnt caved yet, but I think Im getting closer.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2010 at 3:33pm
Now these things are fun!

And this looks like a nightmare.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2010 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

By the time you you figure in the cost of the boom, the engine upgrades if you don't happen to have a BBC in your boat, and the extra fuel your going to use this summer, I'm going to stick with an entry level foil being less.   

By promoting barefooting here, I am not dissing foils at all. Look like a lot of fun. This guy lives on Keith's lake where we had the 2007 reunion. He did a demo for us and gave a couple of us (Keith and I) some instruction. Keith did much better than I. I could get up and go but I couldnt quite get it to plane level out of the water...I was the master of overcompensation. But I can see how it would be fun.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2010 at 4:05pm
Larry, do you wear goggles foiling?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2010 at 4:18pm
I wear goggles when I do pretty much everything
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2010 at 4:21pm
TMI
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2010 at 12:13am

just so everyone can get there minds out of the gutter and back to some foilin'. Sorry it's not a Correct Craft, but it 'deep up' everyone.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2010 at 12:58pm
Hydrofoil.org/history, where the pictures I posted came from.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic