Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Air Chair / Hydrofoil

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
pmccook1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmccook1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2010 at 10:02pm
What exactly is the difference in the sky and Air foils ?    They seem to look exactly the same to me in the pic's. The air chair comes with 3 wings.   I found a air chair not to far from me for a fair price. its a 2008 model.   Should I go look at it or keep looking for a skyski ?

And why do they need such a polished surface ?
pmccook1

Current boat:1993 Ski Nautique " Purple "
Have owned : 76' ski nautique, 93' Sport Nautique, 83 Stars and stripes, 47' Chris Craft Continental
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2010 at 1:03am
The Air Chairs are just not as stable, I have seen people who can ride them well, but there aren't many. It may not seem or feel any direrent at first, but as you learn to do things the lack of control will slow or stop your progression. There are no natural hydrofoilers, riding with people who know what they are doing is a big help and can push you to learn things faster, but everyone still goes through the same falls as they progress. The newer equipment has allowed people to go higher at slower speeds which saves wear and tear on your body.

The reason that everything is polished is because it rides better that way. They become draggy and less responsive as they tarnish. The annodizing is a trade off, it doesn't feel quite as good as the polished, but they are consistant and save time. It is really about the edges of the wings and how they respond to the water. Just like skiers have slow and fast lakes, hydrofoils ride differently in clear or cloudy water and also behave diferently as the water warms and cools. The annodizing dulls the edges of. The wing slightly because it makes it thicker.

All of that won't really make much of a difference to you until you get onto the upper end equipment, but it is good to have your gear working as good as you can get it.    
pmccook1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmccook1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2010 at 1:15am
Thanks for your input, I wouldn't have thought there would be that much difference.   now to hunt down a skyski I can afford.
pmccook1

Current boat:1993 Ski Nautique " Purple "
Have owned : 76' ski nautique, 93' Sport Nautique, 83 Stars and stripes, 47' Chris Craft Continental
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2010 at 11:04am
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

It's the weekend after Mothers Day. We ride Friday after lunch until about noon on Sunday. Most likely we'll be in a friends Xstar and camping in the field at Buzzards Roost. Tell him to check over on Foil Forums for more info, we'll start posting details in about a month. Last year we had about 20 foilers and 5 or 6 boats, should be a few more this year.

Are we still a go for next weekend?
...those who have fallen and those who will.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2010 at 12:18pm
Yep, looks like about 15 or 20 people and we've got 3 or 4 new wings to play with that are new to the market. Most people will be getting up there by lunch time or so on Friday, some Thursday night. Give me a call so I can get your friends info and I will fill him in on the details and tell him how to get ahold of us when he gets there.    
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2010 at 4:34pm
Don, mispalced your #
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 2:07am
Well, after tonights storms there is no question the lake will be up for you guys if not at capacity. Water temp is 77. I'm still trying to make it. Anthony was up there this last weekend, but have yet to here how the weekend went.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 2:34am
I talked to James the other night, looks like we will have a large group if everyone makes it, somewhere between 30 and 40. Weather doesn't look like it is going to be the best, but not as bad as today was, and no 50s during theday like last year. Fortunately we are all flexible and don't mind drinking and tellin lies, I mean stories when we can't get in the water.    
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 2:43am
Ryan,
    Lake Murray is great. The water was very clear, I was impressed. The water temperature is very comfortable but a bit chill. During the day it warmed up very nicely. I was not able to do a hole lot. It was really windy the whole weekend, white caps everywhere. It think it was a sustained 18+mph wind. You were right about the park rangers around the park, two of my friends got speeding tickets. The floating cabins my friends stayed at were awesome. We camped at Tipps Point, nice place. The Marietta Landing camp ground looked a lot better. We wanted to be close to the cabins, so we stayed at Tipps. It rained on Sunday morning. I look forward to go back. I won't be able to make it next weekend.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 3:05am
Anthony, just don't tell anymore Texans about the lake, it's an Okie secret!
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 10:01pm
I won't tell anybody but is an awesome lake. I am going back when it gets really hot down here.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 10:17pm
It's a spring fed lake, so it stays a little cooler in the summer.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 9:54pm
In case someone is watching this instead of the tornado thread, we are at Laake murray this weekend, looks like we will be dodging rain, but have the place to ourselves so come on out.

For anyone looking for a foil I have seen a couple list on foilforum in the past week.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 11:04pm
Don call me when you get a chance.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2010 at 1:37am

SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2010 at 1:42am
HOLY RESIZING ISSUES BATMAN! Just wanted to let everyone know that we had a great time with Don, his wife and the other foilers. For those who don't know there is alot of fun involved with this discipline of skiing, Had a great time! Thanks again Don!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2010 at 2:01pm
Runnig a wing into the ground where Ryan had mentioned it was shallow - $0 and a few hours worth of work.

Slicing open the wrist seal on my drysuit while checking on that wing. - $50 and another few hours worth of work.

Listening to excuses about how much foils cost and how they will beat you to death, and then seeing the same barefooters take a few pulls and falls. - pricless

We're still laughing at all the excuses we heard, the conditions were amazing after the rain stopped on Friday and while the foilers tried our best the mess up the water, I still had a few inverts where I was having a hard time spoting my landings because it was too smooth. Ryan and James were able to foot in the middle of the afternoon on a Saturday. We'll get all you coverted over one of these days, you can even keep using your barefoot suits for protection.    

Ryan, thanks for hauling us around all day Saturday, were trying to figure out how to make it up for the Reunion next month, hope we can rearange the scheduals.     
Lars Kompisen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars Kompisen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2010 at 4:44pm
If you try hydrofoiling, you will never want to do another watersport again
Kompisen flyttebyrå oslo
Flyttebyrå Oslo
Flyttebyrå Oslo

blmeanie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blmeanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2011 at 1:23pm
pmccook1 - there are bunches of foilers in Georgia, depending on where you are in the state you could easily get hooked up with a ride. I know of some on Lake Lanier, I'm on Allatoona (know of a couple others on Allatoona too), some in Villa Rica, group on Lake Oconee.

As TxFoilhead suggested, getting on foilforum.com can assist you in getting in touch with riders no matter where you are.

Originally posted by pmccook1 pmccook1 wrote:

I don't know of anyone in GA that has a foil to try out. But I'd sure like to try it before I buy it. a used one of course
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic