Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Moving from outboard to inboard, what to know?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moving from outboard to inboard, what to know?
    Posted: February-18-2010 at 6:13pm
I have been using outboard boats since I was 12. I'd like to find out what are the important differences in maintenance, trailering, avoiding underwater obstacles, etc. before I decide to buy. Thanks!
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2010 at 6:34pm
Outboards go "ying,ying,ying" whereas Inboards go "glub,glub,glub.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2010 at 6:57pm
This is an inboard boat forum, so I guess you know how most respondents are going to lean. However, we must be carefull to note, you did not ask which should I get or which is better, you asked about specific elements. I can only speak semi-knowledgeably about it as I am not an expert on new 4-stroke outboards, but I did run an outboard from 1981 to 1996 and inboards from 1996 to present. So here are my thoughts.

Maintenance: again, I cant speak to the new motors, but in the 15 years I ran my outboard, I changed the plugs a few times, the steering cable once, the impellor once and lower end grease annually. Pretty easy stuff. Winterization is a snap as they self drain, so a little fogging and sta-bil in the gas and you're good to go.

My two inboards required a little more wrenching. Of course it depends on the year. But if you follow these forums there are always questions about bogging down, hard starting, loosing power, stalling... Most are related either to fuel delivery (gunky carb) or electrical (bad connections/tune up) Again, a big percentage of the boats here are old. If you're looking at a new one, probably not an issue. I personally think a V8 is a lot easier to do it yourself repair than an outboard, but thats just me, and I am a long way from being any kind of mechanic.

Trailering. I feel no differnce either way.

Maybe somewhat related to trailering is boat maneuverability.   Some people have trouble learning to deal with (or just don't like) the fact that inboards are generally unmaneuverable in reverse (unless or until you learn how to use the pull to whichever side) and that they dont steer when in neutral, but both of those are pretty easy to get used to and deal with.

Hitting stuff. Not a good idea either way. If you really cream something you can replace a shaft strut prop and rudder (and fins) for less than the cost of a big outboard. What are they now guys...I used to go by the rule of thumb of about $1000/10 HP (a 150 HP motor was about $15,000) I bet its a lot more now. For a minor hit, like what would ding the blade or skeg of your outboard, you are going to spend less than having to replace the underwater gear of an inboard.

All reasonable considerations, but all of the above being given, it comes down to whats best for you (here I go...not answering your question)

Outboards are fast, and fair out of the hole...unless you're pulling a load, then they struggle. (unless you go the 200HP plus route)

If you're into any kind of water sport where people are getting in and out of the boat, I think outboards stink. The whole transom is taken up by motor and you have no platform, except for maybe a crappy little step on either or both sides. Plus there is the safety factor.

I certainly vote for inboards as the preferred way to go, but outboards are real boats too, as confirmed by their popularity among barefooters.

Those are just some of my thoughts. I am sure there will be many others.

Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2010 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

This is an inboard boat forum, so I guess you know how most respondents are going to lean.

Sorry, I should clarify. I'm not deciding between an outboard and an inboard. I'm pretty sure I'd like to get a '82-'86 2001. I just want to know what the differences are so that I know what to expect.

Quote Hitting stuff. Not a good idea either way.

Is it easier to hit things with an inboard because you can't raise and lower the prop/rudder? Or is that just a common misconception?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2010 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by Netdewt Netdewt wrote:

Is it easier to hit things with an inboard because you can't raise and lower the prop/rudder? Or is that just a common misconception?

In 13 years of IB operation, I havent whacked anything yet. (Can't say the same thing about my Dad's CC Mustang when I was 14 year old tho ) Anyway...you're thinking about the fact that you can tilt/trim up your motor if going into shallow or unknown waters, which you can't do in an inboard. The Key here (and why I havent whacked anything in 13 years) is be careful and know the water you are going into. Its as easy as that. If you arent sure. Slow down, creep along, keep your eyes on the bottom. If its not safe don't go. If you gotta go, shut down and paddle.   
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2010 at 7:52pm
Regarding trimming the motor: Most inboard ski boats have basically a flat bottom compared to an I/O or outboard. Thus, the prop and running gear are tucked up higher relative to the water depth (in most cases) than an OB or I/O, which have to drop down a ways to get past the depth of the vee. This is why a ski boat can run 40MPH in 2ft of water or less, and is also why I feel it's pretty hard to hit something in an inboard. It has to be a pretty shallow obstruction. I'm going on year 8 here with no (damaging) hits so far. I'm not positive but I'd be willing to bet the tracking fins are actually the lowest point on the boat. If you were to REALLY cream something immovable under water, I'd bet that the inboard would be in much worse shape. I've seen spectacular outboard rock hits at speed which resulted in just a ruined prop and skeg. An inboard would be totally out of commission in the same scenario.

Also, when an OB or I/O is trimmed up, you lose substantial control and power. The inboard has 100% "traction" at all times, which is something I really miss when trying to dock an outboard that's been trimmed up due to depth concerns.

One thing you'll LOVE is the smoothness of a hydraulic trans. No more grinding dog teeth engaging F and R!

One thing is for sure: this is a one way street. You won't be going back to the OB world any time soon. Enjoy the transition!

Edit: Here, with water line and lowest point lines in place:

2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2010 at 8:00pm
Also, your rudder, prop, and tracking fins are all separate items on the boat that all do separate things. These functions are all combined in the outboard. So, enjoy the effortless and amazing handling of these machines. Amaze friends and family with G-inducing turns and by spinning the boat in place while stopped or at speed! Enjoy the instant planing. Enjoy the balance of having the engine in the middle of the boat. Enjoy the cool factor and the elite factor. Enjoy the exhaust note.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2010 at 8:23pm
Net:

We all love inboards - that is why we are here! The reliability, power, feel, etc, etc, etc. is GREAT. If a shallow bottom is an issue - get a jet-drive inboard or outboard. If you want a great tracking, powerful and beautiful sounding ski machine. Direct drive inboards are it.....

If you need precision movement at idle and certainly in reverse........ keep your outboard. The forms of boats are dictated by function. What function are you interested in? None of us would use the criteria of maintenance, trailering, and avoiding underwater obstacles to decide what boat to get. It is about boating function (and certainly aesthetic form) .

Decide what you will be doing with your boat - then go drive different styles that accomplish your boating pleasure. You never know, a Sea Dory or John Boat may be most suitable...... Plus, looking at boats is a ton of fun!!
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2010 at 8:59pm
Newt,     Would this interest you?

Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2010 at 9:34pm
ARGH!

That is turibull...........!   
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2010 at 10:48pm
[QUOTE=Netdewt] [QUOTE=75 Tique]I just want to know what the differences are so that I know what to expect.

QUOTE]

All was well said above.

But to answer your question directly - expect to have a great summer with a cool boat that will last for many years.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2010 at 12:48am
Originally posted by Air206 Air206 wrote:

If you need precision movement at idle and certainly in reverse........ get an inboard.

Fixed   
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2010 at 1:41am
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Originally posted by Air206 Air206 wrote:

If you need precision movement at idle and certainly in reverse........ get an inboard.

Fixed   

Ha - Don't kid the man..... you know a newbie is not gonna jump into an inboard and reverse it like an outboard ..... We certainly can - but not a newbie
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2010 at 2:09am
I'd catch on fast. It sounds similar to operating a jet ski.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2010 at 2:29am
That's the spirit!

Inboards perform more smoothly and powerfully. Great throttle and steering feel..... Boat show season is upon us.... talk a dealer into a test drive!

Fun, Fun!!!
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2010 at 2:37am
Simply put (what you probably already know) inboards are bad ass. Since you already know how to operate a boat you will be hooked and the transition is nothing. Harley Davidson has nothing on Correct Craft. You can only put one chick on the back of your harley!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2010 at 2:48am
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

Newt,     Would this interest you?

Cartman- "Seriously you guys like I have a ski antique. Its like super bad ass!"

Photoshop...

"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2010 at 10:55am
I've got both, and the only time I appreciate my outboards more, is in reverse, (and at winterizing time!)
Like it's been said, drivability, sound, looks, coolness factor , all go to the inboards.
Now if it's a party you want, nothing beats bikinis, sun, music, drinks, and a 28' pontoon boat.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2010 at 10:46pm
Thanks for the info. I'm really excited and hopeful I can make this work. I love things that are designed simply and logically. Inboards seem to fit in there.

I am a bit worried about my parents' cabin. They have a harbor lot that gets really weedy later in the season. If the water is low, we trim up a lot.

What about weeds? How are they removed if reversing doesn't work?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2010 at 11:56am
Nate - You have hit on the 1 disadvantange of inboards - access to the prop. If you get something tangled up in it, you have to dive underneath to deal with it, or else get towed back to your trailer.

I accidently drifted over the ski rope last year & even though the engine was off, it got tangled in the prop. Got it loose, but not without 4 dives. I really should get a mask as standard emergency equipment.

Even with this disadvantage, I would not go back to a OB or IO.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2010 at 12:19am
Depending on how much seaweed, and how tightly its wrapped( and maybe a little luck?), I have ocassionally dislodged it by using reverse. But as stated..sometimes you gotta get wet!

btw, All I've ever owned were straight inboards.... Im eating a little crow with my son...I told him I'd never own an outboard... wellll, I bought a pontoon with one. But., I keep looking at how a "motor in the middle" would work!?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2010 at 1:04am
We keep the "trail" pretty clear, and we've used every trick in the book to get it as clear as possible, but there are always some left. We usually have to drive through fast with the jet ski to keep it from sucking up weeds.

Pictures of my son with the best views of the weeds I could find:

Towards the lake. You can see the "trail" in the top right. Great arm for a then 1.5 year old right?

You can see the weeds in the water here. Pretty typical.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2010 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Nate - You have hit on the 1 disadvantange of inboards - access to the prop. If you get something tangled up in it, you have to dive underneath to deal with it, or else get towed back to your trailer.

I accidently drifted over the ski rope last year & even though the engine was off, it got tangled in the prop. Got it loose, but not without 4 dives. I really should get a mask as standard emergency equipment.

Even with this disadvantage, I would not go back to a OB or IO.

One trick for this I found this summer: at least in my boat that has the removable swim platform: the major pain for getting the rope out is the diving under the boat then go again for some air..etc..and starting all over again. But if you remove the platform the prop is almost there so you can work it in the water but no need to dive under the boat, and you can go all the way...I can remove my platform as i intalled some nice ss removable cleats custom made...before them I had some ugly rusted nails
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2010 at 9:57pm
Inboards! Inboards! And only inboards.. Listen to these guys, and myself, they are the only way to go and fun to work on too. You will love the 2001 model in those years. There are several good ones on here for sale... Hope you find what you are looking for.. Maybe this will help you make your mind up too.. Click on link.. Listen to that sound!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0eC7uyTf4c
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2010 at 11:35pm
I like the takeoff sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdXBBItZBiM
1989 Ski Nautique 2001, 880 hours
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2010 at 12:04am

this is the coolest take off ever seen IMO!!!

take off

impossible to match that sound with and OB....
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2010 at 12:45pm
Is the noise loud enough to be "that guy" on the lake? Is it any louder than a 2-stroke OB?
1989 Ski Nautique 2001, 880 hours
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2010 at 1:03pm
"That guy" in the "Testosterone-mobile" usually has his exhaust above the waterline (sometimes even elevated). If you keep exhaust year appropriate and buy a later model (mufflers got more effective with time), you won't be "that guy".
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2010 at 1:33pm
The beauty of the inboards, especially the old "muffler-less' ones, is they have an authorative exhaust note, without being (to most people ) offensive...

Theres nothing better than starting one of my old inboards at the dock and listening to that 'glub-glub'!

The other thing... if you can control your foot...ie keeping it out of the gas, they do pretty good on fuel economy.....   uhhhh, but with that available horsepower that can be a problem tho..
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
dominyhataway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dominyhataway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2010 at 2:20pm
One major disadvantage to the inboard is running in shallow water and hitting underwater obstructions. You can hit something with either an inboard or outboard but the damage is usually much more severe if you hit something with an inboard. Typically on an outboard you will damage the prop and that's about it, with an inboard you can damage fins, rudder, prop, shaft etc. Inboards are also much more difficult to handle at low speeds particularly in tight areas. Inboards are superior tow boats though, with much more power, high speed maneuverability, and generally usually more reliable.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic