Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2001v-drive

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1011121314 21>
Author
form&function View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2009 at 9:50pm
The fresh air hoses run into the raised section in the bow and through a series of ports into the main hull through the stringers.I did this to save space and take advantage of the area under the floor.
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2009 at 10:05pm
ha! really smart
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2009 at 3:27pm
at that pace you will have it ready for the st john river ride!!

keep them coming..I really like the room you get there w/o the dog house in the middle...

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Keuka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2009 at 7:19pm
Your boat is coming together nicely. It is hard to believe it is coming together so fast. You will have a very unique ride when it is finished.

How 'bout a couple pics of the GMC that keeps showing up in the background. That's just teasing.

David

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2009 at 1:15pm
Dave,what gmc are you talking about,theres three of them in my shop?

Got my wheels done

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2009 at 1:57pm
poor cadillac!! that the hole for the trailer hubs to go through right?
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2009 at 2:01pm
First trailer you won't see the wheel nuts. Custom all the way. Nice
84resto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84resto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2009 at 12:37am
F&F, your boat looks great, youre making alot of progress really fast. The automatic engine lift sounds really cool, cant wait to see it.

Only issue i see with your design so far is the gas tank.   You are going to need a permanant 350-400lbs of weight in the nose to have the boat run properly.   On top of that you are going to want an adjustable ballast in the nose for riding/wake shaping/balancing when you fill the rear ballasts.   The gas tank is a variable weight and doesnt leave much room for adjustable ballast int eh nose.   You will find your boat is constantly riding and handling differntly depending on how much ga you have in teh tank.      Also, if you put the permananet ballast int eh nose to balance the boat under normal conditions, if you fill the tank, your nose is going to be under water.   We all know how easy the nose of a 2001 is to submerge.

I fitted mine in the belly and it worked out great, the boat rides pretty much the same no matter how much is in the tank.

Keep the pics coming, cant wait to see the finished product.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2009 at 2:18am
Resto,there is so much ballast in the boat I don't think weight placement is going to a big issue.The gas tank at 32 gallons is only about 190 pounds a skinny guy or a chunky lady in the front seat would be about the same.Just for the record I prefer the latter.
So lets say My nose is a little heavy,I would just flip the switch and dump a little out of the 400 pound front ballast.
The center ballast at 200 pounds is just to get that little extra when surfing and help even it out a bit.
My real concern is pushing all the weight out to the edges of the boat.I can't predict how bad the nose will dive but I will work through whatever I need to make the boat function properly.

On a different note I got the engine in and the front spacer ended up being 1.5 instead of 1 inch I don't know why.Pretty cool though,it cleared the upper cap without any cutting and fell right into the boat.
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2009 at 3:01am
form that SOUNDS great! Where are the pictures you tease

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2009 at 9:24pm
Took a while to get the hardware cleaned and ready to assemble.I torched the silicone then wirebrushed everything clean.

Then I assembled the transom hardware

and the underwater gear

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2009 at 9:29pm
Engine fit with a inch to spare but for some reason it sits .20 farther foward than it should leaving my prop 1/16 closer to the hull.Should still be plenty of room to spare on the prop though.

I did however have to break down the mounts and clean them up a bit

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2009 at 12:23am
Looks like a nice fit Ryan. Are you going to keep the exhaust manifolds like the other 2001 v-drive or can you save some space by turning them around?
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2009 at 2:57am
By far the coolest part of this mod is the fact that you don't have to modify the log position at all. Just put the v-drive trans on, push the engine back and hook it up. I know there is a little more than that but it really is cool!

It is looking really good!!!!

Can you get at the Impeller with it in place and pushed all the way back like that?
84resto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84resto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2009 at 3:28am
Yeah that engine falls into place pretty easily.

Not sure im reading everythign correctly but taking a stab here. You used 1.5 inch tall spacers on the tranny mounts rather then the 1" i used.   THe higher the engine the further the prop shaft need to be pulled into the boat since it enters at an angle. Knock that .5 inch off the spacers or lower your adjustable engine mounts if you can and you should be able to push the engine back along with teh prop shaft and have it lined up. As long as the angles stay the same moving back and down or forward and up will keep them mated properly.

You'll need to raise that swim platform from the stock position. About the thickness of the platform itself.

If you look at my layout i have wrap around seating so the weight is pushed out to the sides.   I have gas tank in the belly,   350lbs of lead in the nose.   With no additional water ballast the boat handles great, can whip it aroudn turns like the stock boat its just not quite as quick through the turn.    Ive never really filled all the ballast and tried to whip a a tight turn at 30-35. But the boat handles fine driving at wakeboard speeds and driving responsibly with the weight.

If you have any other questions, or not sure which way to go on some aspect of the design let me know. Ill try to give you some insight to how the boat handles, reacts etc...

To answer the question about getting to the impeller. Maintenance is pretty easy on it. Obviously not as easy as the standard setup but there is plenty of room to work, you are just laying down next to the engine to do it.   
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2009 at 10:22am
Ryan,
That boat is coming along pretty nice!!
Great work!
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2009 at 10:34am
Chris,I am using the stock mufflers like resto because they sound good and under the floor they don't get in the way.

Resto,The half inch was me lowering the stringers for a half inch ply floor so my mount came up short.If I slide the engine back I will have to recut the stringer relief for the mount bolts to clear.Thats where I was off a touch.Just not worth the work for less than a quarter inch.

I did notice the air cleaner does not clear.I must have missed the post where you rectified yours.

Aka,the v drive I used was built for a ski boat and made the change a easy one.In reality the interior and sundeck are more difficult than the actual engine relocation.My project is tuff not because of the drive but the restoration.

Thanks, for all the support
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2009 at 12:09pm
He had an arch to his engine cover that followed the shape of the transom. Is your flame arrestor higher than the highest point on the transom or just if your run a straight board across the gunnels? They also sell low profile flame arrestors. Here is a thread with some good pictures:

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3748&KW=wakeboardin2k4
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2009 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by akabulla akabulla wrote:

He had an arch to his engine cover that followed the shape of the transom. Is your flame arrestor higher than the highest point on the transom or just if your run a straight board across the gunnels? They also sell low profile flame arrestors. Here is a thread with some good pictures:

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3748&KW=wakeboardin2k4

If this is still too low raise the center like the Python's decks!
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2009 at 6:50pm
Looking really good! Great work...excellent craftsmanship.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2009 at 9:17pm
So much usefull information on this site.You guys have saved me countless hours and effort.
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2009 at 7:27pm
Top work there Ryan fits like a glove, she soon be back on the water.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2009 at 8:12pm
No new pictures for 4 days.

At his current pace my bet is he has been boating for at least a day and a half.

Keep up the good work and the updates.
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2009 at 8:38pm

A cool set of Bassetts and you would have it all going on with your V-drive
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2009 at 12:17am
form&function---Ryan e-mail me

mtmabe@northstate.net

Are you going with a custom dash or what? Your old Ski Nautique 2001 Plaque--send it to me so I can replicate these and if you are gonna put these plaques back on, the personalized one too, e-mail me and I'll get these made up for you to complete this boat!

Thanks,Marty Mabe
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2009 at 12:48am
Originally posted by MartyMabe MartyMabe wrote:

form&function---Ryan e-mail me

mtmabe@northstate.net

Are you going with a custom dash or what? Your old Ski Nautique 2001 Plaque--send it to me so I can replicate these and if you are gonna put these plaques back on, the personalized one too, e-mail me and I'll get these made up for you to complete this boat!

Thanks,Marty Mabe

Ryan...do send Marty a message...his prices are un-beatable!!
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2009 at 1:46pm
not to critique the beautiful job, but thats alot of weight hanging off the aluminum bellhousing, and i would guess there would be some deflection because of it. correct me if im wrong, but id do remember on the v-drives the brackets go to the Walers gear box??? BTW im posting a pic of the Hurth 630v apart for future reference, its apart but you can see the precision, I like the Walters also, i just I had a problem with the people that run Walters
"the things you own will start to own you"
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2009 at 1:49pm
"the things you own will start to own you"
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2009 at 1:52pm
Eric, I thought the exact same thing the first time I saw 84resto's job because he has the same amount of unsupported weight but it sounds like his has been working flawlessly. Here is resto's pic from his rebuild.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2009 at 8:48pm
Marty,I am keeping the same dash but your welcome to measure the emblems

Eric,I was thinking the same thing but walters recomends the v drive mount for anything over 300 horse.I considered buying it just to be safe.
I did have a newer v drive with a upside down tranny mount from a chevy car.Why a reputable boat manufacture would stoop to something that ignorant I don't know but thats a topic for a later thread.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1011121314 21>
  Share Topic