Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2001v-drive

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 192021
Author
form&function View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2009 at 10:39pm
Funny story,well not so funny to me.I talked my wife into a new engine for the boat and used the fact that it has 2000 hours as leverage.I also told her a gt40 would be a smart improvement over stock and planned to seal the deal with a compression check that was not so great.Well all the cylinders where the same except number five which was one pound less than the rest.Aaahhhh Oh well

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2009 at 10:36pm
Thanks luchog I think I will add that to my list.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2009 at 10:31pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2009 at 10:30pm
My v-drive came in on a pallet this week.I choose to use a new walters 1.5-1 like what come factory in a nautique for many reasons I will explain later,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2009 at 10:26pm
I started by stripping the old stickers with a 3M eraser wheel,

Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2009 at 10:22pm
There's a guy on the2001.com that has already done this convertion, I posted it here a few months ago, it is worth the search.

I'll throw you a few things to consider:
1-fuel tank location, belly or under the bow deck
2-what brand and model of vdrive, trying to keep the same shaft angle and strut, what reduction gear.
3-Not much space for underfloor ballast, maybe it isnt worth the task.

My considerations after seeing this other guy's project
1- Fuel tank under the bow or underfloor but as forward located as possible.
2-Walter vdrive is cheaper and has the longer profile (as does the new PCM or older Velvets) for allowing the location of the engine in the rear and keep the shaft angle. 1.5:1 reduction would be nice.
3- No underfloor ballast, there's plenty with the engine on the back now.

Edit:
After seeing the pics of such a sweet boat I wonder why you want to modify it?????

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2009 at 10:18pm
A few pics before I started,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2009 at 10:06pm
I know some of you like original rebuilds and might find conflict with many aspects of my project but I ask that you look past that and try to appreciate all the hard work that goes into a project like this.I too love classic mustangs and think they are a work of art but this boat is a machine used four times or more a week.Its a tool we use often and as such cosmetic sacrifices have to be made in favor of function.This whole project is based on making the boat more usable and comfortable for our family and along the way a little more apealing to the eye.
Plans consist of stringer repair,v-drive conversion,fuel injection,new gellcoat(solid babyblue),ballast,perfectpass,heater and shower installs along with a whole new interior layout.
Most of you already know I am starting with Chris's old boat,the 88 model 2001 thats been in his family for a long time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 192021
  Share Topic