NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Air Dock

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Air Dock
    Posted: May-29-2009 at 11:16am
Does anyone have any experiance, good or bad, with this product?

Now, before I get all the "not my CC" responces, let me explain a little.

We recently moved into a complex build around a lagon on the St. Johns. The boat slips are all around the lagon, but they will not allow a traditional lift (water is too deep anyway). Actually, not sure they will allow this, but it is my best shot.
Here is a pic of the place.

Anyway, what is the point of living on the water if you can't have the boat in the water? Any ideas would be appreciated. I looked at other floating systems, but they are way out of reach. The airdock new is $2700. A jet dock, for instance, is $13K. We do not own this place, so no garantee how long we will be there, but that is another advantage of the air dock, you can easily take it with you.

I know it is not ideal, but I am leaning this direction unless you guys point something out I have not thought of.

Thanks

Adam
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
pwningjr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwningjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2009 at 8:10pm
It looks like it would work, but I would take a good look at where the running gear would be.
Jay
"Proud to be a geek"
Big Heavy (stephan): One can't always be perfect when water dancing on your shred stick.
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2009 at 10:30am
On their website they have another picture of where the running gear ends up. Basically, about where the strut is where the bag ends. The sales guy said the bottom half of the prop might still hang in the water, but that is a heck of a lot better than the whole boat. They claim there is only .5 psi pressure in the bladder, so it should not harm anything.
Boats:
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2009 at 11:15pm
maybe stupid question but how do you get it on or of the air dock without blocking water from the raw water pump?
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2009 at 11:23pm
and skegs?

and now no longer a groupie Yay me!!!
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2009 at 4:17pm
When you deflate the airdock, it basically sinks to the bottom therefore allowing the boat to float. They use a frame system to keep the inflatabel bladders in the correct orientation while deflated. Pull in and out the same way you would on any lift. Don't start it while it is in the air, shut it off before you lift it.

For the skegs, they use a thick rubber matt that lays over the airdock. This protects the airdock from getting puncured by the skegs. The matt also helps sink the center of the airdock so it is out of the way pulling in and backing off.

Have not got it yet, but lined up a few used units that I am going for. I will let you all know how it works if I get it. One of the guys that was selling had already sold his, but he highly recomended it.
Boats:
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2009 at 11:04pm
A friend of mine has one under his 2002 Ski Nautique. An '86 sat on before that. They love it,
They're great for shallow water also.

AT

harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2009 at 11:16pm
So, electricity is needed or is there a 12v system offered?
yellowfly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2009 at 1:45am
You may want to check this lift out as well.
I have always worried about getting the running gear wrapped up in the air dock. I am going to take a look at this lift at a show in Indiana in late August.
www.launchpadlift.com
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2009 at 10:55am
You can run it off the boat battery as well with an inverter. They offer that as an option. They are basically using a shop vac motor to inflate I think.

yellowfly-
Thanks for the tip, I will check it out.
Boats:
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2009 at 11:03am
The Launch Pad looks like a good idea, but it will not work for me. I can not have anything sticking up above the water like those tanks do.
Boats:
yellowfly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2009 at 3:14pm
Are you not allowed to have anything above the waterline for aesthetics?

Good luck with your decision!
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2009 at 9:53pm
Just to follow up, I ended up purchasing an Airdock used from a guy in NC. Shipped, it was $550. After getting it all put together (was kind of a PITA, but I imagine most lifts are) it works pretty good. Inflates in about 5 min. deflates in about 6-7 min.

Here are some pics of the Sport sitting on it.

Boats:
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2009 at 12:30am
Looks like it would be a heck of a swimming raft too!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic