NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thoughts on a 1993 Sport Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thoughts on a 1993 Sport Nautique
    Posted: April-15-2009 at 4:08am
Dave Ramsey is the man, even if he is a Mastercraft owner.

Back to the topic, the only reason I can think of why foils would not be recommended on the New Dimension Tower would be that they tend to twist the tower as the boat goes through rough water. Monster and Titan as well as some others have the heim joints to relieve this kind of stress. I've been foiling full time for 6 years now and have never heard of foil racks causing problems with peoples towers.

Of course the legal department might like you to avoid hanging anything on anyones tower.
Daveinater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveinater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2009 at 3:13am
Originally posted by Ashley Ashley wrote:

Dave,

Super nice set-up. Jealous and envy are two words that come to mind. How's that recession treatin' ya?   

Recession?

Six words:

"Total Money Makeover" by Dave Ramsey

It took us a while but there's something to be said for saving, saving, saving, and paying CASH when you can afford it.
Ashley View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2009 at 2:17am
Dave,

Super nice set-up. Jealous and envy are two words that come to mind. How's that recession treatin' ya?   
Daveinater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveinater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2009 at 1:08am

Joe,

I should have clarified, how is NDT strength wise strapping on a foil? I know TX Foilhead mentioned in another thread that he went with a Monster tower because his foil racks were 2.5 in tubing.

I don't have a foil rack, yet, so that is not a problem, assuming they make them in the same diameter as NDT.    

Ashley,

While the NDT is by far the best tower out there, I specifically asked them about a foil rack. Based on the weight, they don't recommend it. The tower is aluminimum (strength but lightweight) and they don't recommend it for the stressing. That's straight from Wayne, the owner. Of course, other aluminum towers can handle them, and perhaps it's just their official policy....anyone out there w/ a New Dimensions tower and foil rack??

FYI here's a photo of my Sport with the (brand new) NDT Tower and bimini:

Ashley View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2009 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by jimsport93 jimsport93 wrote:

The rating plate in my 93 Sport states:
"9 people or 1250 lbs"
Jimsport93

same, same.
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2009 at 11:04pm
The rating plate in my 93 Sport states:
"9 people or 1250 lbs"
Jimsport93
jrmcmich View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrmcmich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2009 at 10:28pm
how many people is the 93 sport natique rated for? Or is it big enough it does not get maximum passengers/weight tag?
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2009 at 2:38pm
It is a lot safer than using a Magic Eraser. Those things are abrasive.

And, I wouldn't recommend it on brand new vinyl or lightly soiled vinyl. But I have used it with great results on my heavily soiled vinyl. Gets it nice and white and softens up the vinyl. I used it when I first got the boat and had to do a deep cleaning on the vinyl. Made my vinyl look like new and it is softer today than when I got it.
For light cleaning, I use a little bit of Murphy's oil soap in a bucket of water. Ayways follow up with the 303.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2009 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Randy_in_Ohio Randy_in_Ohio wrote:

Ashley,
The best vinyl cleaner I've found is Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner, the stuff in the green aerosol can.

Im sure that it works well (as do Mr. Clean Magic Erasors) but you should know that its doing harm to the vinyl. Most household cleaners are too harsh!

CC took Formula 409 and Fantastik off their recommended list of vinyl cleaners a few years ago. Now the only stuff they recommend is made by the vinyl producer themselves (G&T). Its been called a few different names, and it appears the most recent is "Zcare." Its not too expensive at Whitelake.
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2009 at 12:52pm
Ashley,
The best vinyl cleaner I've found is Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner, the stuff in the green aerosol can. Spray it on and work it in with a stiff brush, then rinse with clean water and dry. Follow up with some 303. If you have an auto detail shop nearby, they should carry it. Also, many marina's carry it.
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2009 at 10:35am
Ashley,
You can also find the 303 Aerospace Protectant at www.jamestowndistributors.com.
Jimsport93
mndanielsncsu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mndanielsncsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2009 at 8:47am
I get the 303 Aerospace from West Marine. Not sure if they have those in Utah, but I know you can order from their website; West Marine - 303 Aerospace

303 Products also has a "Where to Buy" section on their website that you could try: 303 Products - Where to Buy
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2009 at 4:19am
Shouldn't have a problem carrying foils on any of the quality towers. The shakiest tower I've seen is a friends 06 X Star, and it seems to have no effect on the boat and you can't feel it at the other end of the rope either.

I have some friends in Austin who built an automatic saftey release and in their testing they found that pro level foilers could break the release open @ 600lbs, good wakeboarders doing Railey's were about half of that. It is a very quick pull, and body position is key because your arms can't do that much.

Joe it right, easy to pull foils, just straight and steady. Perfect Pass helps if you've got a lot of people riding at different speeds. I think there are a few foilers around your area, and the best foil info is at foilforum.com
Ashley View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2009 at 3:44am
Joe,

I should have clarified, how is NDT strength wise strapping on a foil? I know TX Foilhead mentioned in another thread that he went with a Monster tower because his foil racks were 2.5 in tubing.

I don't have a foil rack, yet, so that is not a problem, assuming they make them in the same diameter as NDT.    
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2009 at 3:33am

Question on the tower. Is NDT built for a foil, strength wise?

There is nothing difficult about pulling a foil, Imho its less stressful than a similar size boarder. They are however heavy so if you strap them on a tower thats different than a board. However the NDT is plenty strong.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Ashley View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2009 at 3:25am
Thanks for the info ya'all...

Where the heck do I find 303 Aerospace? I am also having a hard time tracking down a vinyl cleaner. The guy at AutoZone suggested I use leather cleaner, telling me they are all the same... I will order it online if I have too.

Question on the tower. Is NDT built for a foil, strength wise?

I am working on the platform. Put my second coat of oil on today. It is looking good. Cleaned up nice.

Due for snow in the morning. Bummer.   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2009 at 1:55am
I just found this thread, and have been posting in another about towers, but I think that Sport Nautique would look best with a black New Dimensions tower. If you wanted to dress it up a little more have the top section done in red. There are a lot of the multi-colored towers around Austin, and I always liked that look.

As for the boat cleaning products, looks like you don't have a bunch of work to do, just need to maintain it. I use a soft bristled cleaning brush, and the Ducky vinyl cleaner and had very good luck with 90% of the upholstery. Only use the magic eraser as the last resort. 303 on all interior vinyl when it's clean, and I keep a bottle of Meguire's Quick Interior Detailer to spot clean before the cover goes back on after a trip. Invisible Glass is the best glass cleaner, and a little Rain-X helps keep things clean if you tend to get lots of spray on the windows. I polish and wax every holiday weekend while I wait for my lakefront neighbors to go back home. I have become a fan of New Finish as it seems to last the longest, but I'm looking for something better. I will probablly get scolded for the next remark, but It has done wonders for my 24 year old black boat. At the top of the ramp we spray it down with a 25 to 35% vinegar and water mix that I keep in a 2 quart spray bottle, takes all the spots off. Kids do the inside, someone sprays, someone drys the outside and it takes about 4 or 5 minutes. The boat looks as good as the day I got it so it must be working 4 years later.

Good luck, looks like you got a real clean one to start with so you should keep her that way.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mndanielsncsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2009 at 1:07pm
You can clean tinted windows with any window cleaner that doesn't have ammonia in it. I use Invisible Glass on my car all the time.
ripster92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripster92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2009 at 4:33am
The cleaners that I use (from your other thread.)For the upholstery, initially, Magic Eraser for the vinyl. This is a one time shot and don't use it for regular cleaning. You don't want to use this too often, but it will take most of the discoloration out. supposedly, It's pretty harsh on the vinyl. AEROSPACE 303 AFTERWARDS ... (UV protectant and conditioner) On ALL of the vinyl.. Bissel steamer for the carpet. Mineral water(bottled water), Scrubbing bubbles (bathtub cleaner) or Limeaway to take any waterspots off of the hull. Then, Meguire's polish then Meguire's carnuba wax on the gelcoat. There you have it...And i wouldn't tint the windows, they say you shouldn't use windex on after market tinted windows. Plenty of water spots accumulate on the inside of the windshield.

Steve
1992 SN Black w/ Yellow
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2009 at 4:08am
Thanks for reminding me of that thread. Was a lot of fun at the end of Winter when the natives tend to get restless around here.

I don't really recall anyone who frequents this site who has tinted the windshield. There are quite a few on planetnautique who have done so and a lot threads about what is the right tint, etc. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mndanielsncsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2009 at 3:46am
I'm thinking about tinting mine. I've got 35% on my 4Runner and Camry, but am thinking about going 20% on the boat. I'm never out at night, so I don't think visibility will be an issue.
Ashley View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2009 at 3:40am
Thoughts on window tinting?

I searched the threads & quick search, just to make sure I wasn't a repeat, and really only found bkhallpasses top 10 FAQ.... hilarious. Gosh, I pull my boat with a black Toyota Tundra. Am I going to hell?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mndanielsncsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2009 at 12:06pm
Ashley - congrats on the new boat, I'm sure you're going to love it!

As for cleaning supplies, here are a couple I use regularly:

For seats -
Meguiars Vinyl Cleaner or 3M Vinyl Cleaner after each trip to the lake
303 Aerospace Protectant - I use this regularly on the seats. Protects them from drying out and makes them shine.

Oxidation and Buffing -
Meguiars Flagship Premium Marine Wax - does wonders (http://meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+FLAG+16)
3M Finesse It - for deeper oxidation, has a little grit to it so it cuts into the gelcoat a little more

Each time I go out, I usually use some spray-n-wax or quick wax while the boat is still wet to help get the grime off. Don't really have a preferred brand.

Teak Platform - I use the Starbrite Teak Cleaner and Starbrite Teak Oil. It's a 3 step process, but I always just do step 1 and 3.

For the rub rail - I use something made by Black Magic to shine the rubber. I read it was supposed to be better than Armor All. Can't remember the name.

Keep us posted on which tower you decide to go with.

ac505 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2009 at 7:33am
here's my '97 with a Monster Tower MT2. It doesn't look that great but for me it was way cheaper than a New Dimensions and has the bonus of folding down completely under the cover.

Ashley View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2009 at 2:45am
Did it! Just brought her home to a rain storm At least it's not snowing... not yet anyway.
Next up, tower and some prop repair.

Suggestions on cleaning her up? What cleaners to use and not? Also, on my previous boat I would use vinegar to remove the hard water spots after I rinsed it off from the lake... do ya'all suggest something else?

Ashley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mndanielsncsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2009 at 3:02pm
Kapla, I did have to drill a hole in the transom. I was pretty nervous doing it, but just measured about 20 times and went for it. Glad I read on here first because I learned alot. Put masking tape around the area to prevent the gel from cracking, run the hole saw in reverse, so when it bites, it doesn't crack the gel, and hold your breath and pray you measured correctly.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2009 at 2:43pm
Ashley that boat looks awsome... and price well I´m not an expert but sounds good for me... down here that boat would cost no less than 30k
If you go for it don´t forget to take pics of you with the boat!!!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2009 at 2:38pm
it should match up with tower speaker to make them rock. So you had to drill a hole in the transom for the cable....
<a href="">1992 ski nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mndanielsncsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2009 at 2:07pm
Kapla - it's the Clarion "puck" as HW mentioned. The company I used to work for owned Clarion so I got a ton of their stuff at a great cost. It's awesome to have if you're hanging out on the platform or chillin in the water and want to adjust the radio volume.
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2009 at 1:35pm
Ashley, thats a sweet looking boat. Love the colors too! If it were mine I'd have to go with a Black tower. (and remove the Black Swan decals from the back.) JMO
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic