NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My new 2001 and my first!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1819202122 23>
Author
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2009 at 5:58pm
I got a quote from someone to do the paint, stringers and floor and he wanted $8500. That was for everything to get ready to drop in the engine. He quoted using fir for the stringers but use a composite foam for the floor so the only wood would be the stringers. I would probably estimate another $1000 if I used composite materials for the stringers. That quote was also using epoxy and not polyester.

My main concern right now is getting ready to get the engine set so I can start to wire the engine, the dash, and get all the plumbing in.

I wanted to do the floor and stringers myself but I am crunched for time so I can have her done by the summer.

I am waiting on one more quote from the local Nautique dealer so depending on what they come back with I will have to choose who does the work.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2009 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

Have you considered going all composite on the hull rebuild? how much expensive would that be?

I spent about 1400 on coosa doing mine, but I also eliminated the foam, as a straight replacement wood for coosa probably about 400 more for the stringers.

Epoxy is stonger and bonds better, much easier to work with, but if your paying someone else that may not be an issue. The expoy is also actually watertight, unlike the polyester, but if you dont keep it in the water or water in it thats less of an issue.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2009 at 5:06pm
I'm really looking forward too see how this boat turns out, I think you'll end up with the ultimate pulling machine.

Have you considered going all composite on the hull rebuild? how much expensive would that be?
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2009 at 3:42pm
I don't really. Part of the cap was damaged along with a part of the hull.    I emailed him after he sent the work to be done and told him that the cap was bonded to the hull from the repair the last owner did so it couldn't come off anyways.

The previous owners repair is good but it needs some minor cosmetics done before it can be painted.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2009 at 3:08pm
why do you need to do the cap???
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2009 at 2:32pm
I was going to have the Boat Dr do my stringer and floor rebuild but a 14 hour drive for me right now is tough to handle. I have a lot going on and feel a little overwhelmed right now.

I just got a quote from Pamlico Boat and Fiberglass Repair. They look like they do great work. I have gotten several referal numbers from them of past clients. The quote they gave me for the stringers and floor repair are really good numbers. I have a few concerns that I wanted to throw by you guys.

They want to use polyester resin not epoxy. He says about a year ago he repaired a speed boat with polyester that goes VERY fast and takes a beating and it is holding up well. We got into that conversation because I read polyester is not as strong as epoxy. He disagreed.

He said the way he foams the boat is he lays the floor and cuts holes in it and then pours the foam and then patches the holes with glass. He also wants to screw the floor to the stringers. Here is what he typed out for me.

Any thoughts?

1.      Repair/ replace stringers
A. Remove stringers, grind glass on hull, and replace wood stringers. Tab new stringers in place making sure of level and square.
B. Glass in stringers using polyester resin. Glass to hull of boat with 24/15 mat then wrap that with 2oz mat. Repeat process with each stringer.
C.     Attach stringer to transom using same process

2. Replace Floor
A.     Cut out wood for floor using fur wood and fitting it to side of hull making sure cap of boat in straight and inline before glassing in floor.
B.     Hot coat underside, then screw floor to stringers using glass to bond together. Lay down 2oz mat on floor with double mat on seams.
C.     Roll glass to rid air.
D.     Grind floor using 36-grit, and then roll on polyester gel.

3.Repair damage cap
A.     Grind down damage area checking for cracks and glass imperfections
B.     Fill in cracks with glass and block back down level with surface.
C.     Prim with gel to cover porosity and block
D.     Spay final gel on cap and sand and buff in

4. Install cap
A.     Install cap to boat using screws in the top of hull.
B.     Glass in around transom
C.     Replace rub rail
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2009 at 6:55pm
You dont need to change the angle of the mounts or the height at which it sits, those are fine. What you needed was to move the output shaft of the transmission farther back so it is in the correct location to line up your transmission, prop shaft, log, strut, etc line up and put your propellor in the right place. To me thats the hard part, Your cradle placement will be determined by the pylon mount, your trans will bolt up to the holes already in the cradle using the previously mentioned mounts, after that your going to need to bolt up the engine to the trans and probably drill holes for your engine mounts but that should be relatively trivial.

Am I missing something?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2009 at 6:22pm
Joey,

Critter was over here and we tried to dry fit the engine but the lift couldn't get the engine high enough.

We did take a look at the new mounts I got but the only thing the mounts are going to do is keep the engine at the same height and angle but move the engine mounts more towards the back of the transmision which will make the mounts farther apart. The distance of the mounts are currently at the same place as the old engine so that is not the issue.

The new ones you told me to get won't change the angle of the engine or the height at which it sits. Any ideas?

Thanks!
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2009 at 10:56pm
Does anyone know where I can get the wiring diagram for my engine. Just to hook it up to the dash instrumentation. I have the 8 pin wiring harness that goes to it. It seems pretty straight forward. This is my engine:

http://www.pcmengines.com/pdfs/manuals/owners/L510010-04.pdf

Do I just run the harness to my dash and hook up all the guages? Critter is going to help me start it this weekend just to make sure everything is ok with it. I wanted to wire up an ignition switch. Do I just wiring the ignition into the ignition wire on the harness and ground it?

Thanks!
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2009 at 10:52am
they are a tranny that works, and it works well, but when they break they break, most of the ones I see are abused transmissions, water in them, low oil and to the likes...if you take care of them they will provide years of service, change oil regularly, align them, wait until your at an idle and the prop has stopped turning (unless an emergency) things of that nature....it doesnt hurt to make a habit of checking the oil level on every outing
"the things you own will start to own you"
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2009 at 1:11am
Kapla, I got a rebuilt Velvet 1.5:1 transmision and it is supposed to be sent along with the engine to Astillero Claude this week so they can start assembling the 660.

Eric, from my user's point of view I'm yet to see a better pulling direct drive boat that a GT40 paired with one of this PCM's 40A.
From reading your posts I also undertand they can be more expensive to rebuild and that they can be more suceptible to water damage or and some other issues you've mentioned.
I guess it always comes down to how you take care of your stuff because an accident can happen to anyone dont you think?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2009 at 4:25pm
the problem with them is that they are pretty pricey to rebuild, but all in all not to bad of a trans, i didnt like them in the beginning, but have grown too
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2009 at 4:19pm
Lucho what turned out of that engine you purchased a while ago?
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2009 at 2:26pm
I must admit I'm a big fan of this trannies.
It seems they've been improving them all this years.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2009 at 10:00am
they added ribbing because i have seen 3 or 4 of these tranny's with the back ends busted right off from hitting an object, now that its stronger where will the stress transfer too.
looking at it again, i would really say they did make a gear change, because of the back housing change, im sure we will find out eventually
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2009 at 9:57am
they are a Hurth transmission, ZF purchased Hurth a few years back. I have no understanding why they are anything other than a 1.23, i started rebuilding them a good 10 years ago, and have been through at least 70 of them. the only difference I see now are the back ends. they do look as if ribbing was added...one good thing is one of the big aftermarket companies will start making seal and gasket kits and clutch kits all made here in the USA, and possibly the forward drum

also looking at the pic, they added a bearing cap to the top gear, maybe just maybe because i havnt busted into one of the newer ones, they may have re-designed the gears also and the ratio changed a touch, the older gears would lose thier hard facing and start to make noise
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2009 at 12:50am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

You may want to go to the engine forum andlook at some of the pics on the 408w from scratch thread to see what the secondaries look like

Ok, will do! I still have the teak boards for under the fuel tank. I will try to find the post your talking about.

Critter noticed tonight that the plastic cover for the engine had 5.7 350 written on it. Not sure how I missed that!! HEH!
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2009 at 10:02pm
Isnt the PCM a ZF-Hurth transmision?
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2009 at 6:02pm
Thanks Kapla thought the first ones where US made.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2009 at 4:29pm
Uk
if I´m not wrong all pcm tranny are made in italy, at least i remember my 1992 had the 1.23 tranny and was made in italy...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2009 at 4:00pm
My 1.23.1 now made in Italy read like this

Reads 1.258
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2009 at 3:40pm

tim see if you can remember to check on that some time for historical purposes PCM still refers to it as a 1.23 but mine is also stamped 1.26

Just for you, Joe! Not the greatest pic, but still legible:

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2009 at 3:02pm
tim see if you can remember to check on that some time for historical purposes PCM still refers to it as a 1.23 but mine is also stamped 1.26
Aka
Your block is a 5.7 chevy (350) and that area is not level a couple boards go across the mains then the tank mounts on top. You may want to go to the engine forum andlook at some of the pics on the 408w from scratch thread to see what the secondaries look like
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2009 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Aka, sounds like you're in good hands with Joe!

I agree. I was freaking out a little thinking I was in over my head but I think I can handle it now! I just ordered all my stuff from US Composites and I am about to go out side and remove the remaining floor and foam still in the boat!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2009 at 3:00pm
maybe stamped the tag wrong, never seen 1.26 stamped
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2009 at 2:48pm

I dont know why its referred to as a 1.23:1 and yet is a 1.26:1 one of lifes mysteries I guess.

Im almost positive that mine is stamped 1.23. I was surprised to see yours say 1.26- it must have changed during one of the minor updates over the last 20 years.

Aka, sounds like youre in good hands with Joe!
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2009 at 2:40pm
Is this part level in the back or does the fuel tank just sit on the main stringers? I assume it is level but I wanted to check as I map out my secondary. Remember they were already removed so I have no template to go by.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2009 at 1:16pm
It doesn't matter if one is not an L since you only bolt down from the top anyway. So actually the "L" is a waste and the other one is perfect.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2009 at 9:53am
on the trans ratio's, I never photo tached them, had no reason, it even holds true on the Borg Warner trans, reverse is a touch different on the ration because it goes through a planetary, and the same for the PCM, i dont know if they average the 2 and come up with a 1.23...like joe said, one of life's mystery's, aka, your in good hands, Joe went through the learning curve already
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2009 at 1:39am
Also what block is in my engine? I can't find the specs online and the PCM service manual in the downloads section is to old and doesn't have my engine in it.

Thanks again guys!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1819202122 23>
  Share Topic