NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My new 2001 and my first!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 23>
Author
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2009 at 5:44pm
Ok, Thanks for the pics. I guess the exhaust pipes are ran on the inside of the main stringers?   I do know the 89 only has a single exhaust on it.

I lined the new cradle up in the back of the boat and it lines right up with the exhaust. So if I did use wider stingers then I would have to move the exhaust. Maybe I could convert it to a single exhaust like on the 89s.    Not sure if the 2004 Sport SEs have a single exhaust or not.

Another issue is the cradle for the 2001 is at 20" apart and the engine mounts are currently at 21". It looks like they might have some play to adjust the width but not sure if I can squeeze half an inch out of them.

If anything I am having a good time trying to figure this all out!

Here is a pick of it lined up with the exhaust:

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2009 at 5:48pm
I suppose at this point you should try to dry fit the engine and trans in the boat with the original cradle. I would think moving the stringers and exhaust is going to be a lot more work than having to possibly drill new holes for the motor mounts on the old cradle.
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2009 at 5:55pm
I agree. I think I am going to go that route. It looks like this bolt comes loose and lets you adjust the engine mount width. There is about 1/2" of space left on the inside of the hole where you can see that shaft coming through so it looks like I can adjust it! I will jack up that side of the engine remove the mount and see if I can move it at all.

Critter when ever you can drop off that heater.. that would rock!! 8 degrees in the garage for me is a little to cold    I don't mind comming to pick it up either!
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2009 at 6:43pm
This weekend I will be using 5he heater while I put the 318 back together. Not much warmer over here. But I will bring it over when I come to check out the parts this weekend.

Not sure that you can use the older stringer location as the mounts for the new engine are a lot lower than with the 351. You have to make sure that you can line up the shaft and transmission correctly.

You might end up doing something like this :
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2009 at 6:54pm
Even if the flange on the transmission ends up a bit higher than before, slide the whole engine forward and get a bit longer prop shaft. If you know this ahead of time though from a dryfit, just mount the cradle forward a bit so you don't run out of room behind the pylon.

Where is Joe?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2009 at 7:20pm
I bet the bigger boat had taller stringers or a deeper V hull thus the spacers having the motor mounts sitting below the stringers. the tranny mounts look identical to the ones on my 86 from what i can tell. I bet it will probably fit better than you think if you just throw it on the cradle to mock it up.

Worst case if it wont fit you could notch the holes wider in the cradle and and that would give you the extra inch you need or weld on a little material to make the cradle wider( just in the mount areas) because there is plenty of room from the notch in the factory stringers to clear the bolt heads a little wider.
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2009 at 7:42pm
SkiBum,

When you did your stringer rebuild do you ever consider cutting out the air box in the front and just make it level? The run some PVC for the vent lines, steering and electrical? The PVC would just end right above the floor height.

Then fill the entire area under the bow with foam and fiberglass the entire floor. I noticed you used a piece of wood to the left of the air box.

I don't have the battery box so I was thinking about cutting out the air box and then making the floor flat all the way from the bow to the divider right under the dash. Then don't sink the battery (cause I am going to have 2) amd then put them up under the bow as far to the nose as possible.

Like this guy. He removed his air box.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2009 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

I bet the bigger boat had taller stringers or a deeper V hull thus the spacers having the motor mounts sitting below the stringers.

Nope. Starting in '97, CC lowered the engine in the hull and ran a shallower shaft angle.

Id tend to go with Roger's idea of 2 or 3 piecing the main stringers. Either run a wider section around the engine, or a narrower section at the rear to accomodate the exhaust. Moving or replacing those ports would be a major PITA. I also wouldnt try and adapt the wider Excal motor mounts onto the narrower Ford cradle. Even if you can adjust the mounts the 1/2" you need, you wont leave yourself much (if any) room for adjustment when it comes time to do the alignment. Thats going to be critical on this project- lots of variables to contend with.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2009 at 6:37pm
Ahhh alright so the height of the engine in the cradle would be ok but I didnt think about alingment adjustment after it was in.
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2009 at 2:21am
I made a mock up of the engine and tried to get the height and angle of the shaft as close as possible. The engine will have to be lowered if I want to keep the engine in the same place as the last engine.

Also the shaft is more shallow like TR said so I it looks like the engine will have to be at a slight angle to have the shafts line up.

If this was a regular stringer rebuild and I was using the same engine I think I would have no issue doing this myself but the more I look at it I think I might have someone else do the floor and stringers and get the engine in. Then I can do the engine hook ups, fuel tank install, electrical, Stereo, Tower, interior and maybe the painting. It will cost a lot to have someone else do the floor but I think it will be worth it. Then if they mess up the engine placement it will be on them. I found someone local that is expensive but he seems to do good work. I am going to try to get him to come over and take a look at everything and see what kind of cost he comes up with. Here are some pics of my mock up.

akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2009 at 3:31pm
Tim, Can you tell me the distance between the ski pole and the front of the engine?

Also the length of your shaft (yes I know that sounds bad!!) from where it connects to the trans to where it enters the coupling on the floor? (Sorry I am still learning all the part names?)

One last question. Are your stringers the same height at the trans mounts and the engien mounts? Is the engine at an angle?

Thanks!

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2009 at 4:29pm
the trans should be a 10 degree angle, you want to keep the engine on the mounts low but adjustable, because the higher you go the more the engine will become unstable. it looks as if the weight of the shaft is keeping it way low. you need to remove the shaft and install a 1" wood dowel and see where it winds up and work off of that. im sure the boat had a 1:1 which sat high in the front and i dont know the shaft angles with a 1:1, but I do know with the 1.23 the engine sits parallel in the stringers. i would also do some research to see if a different strut angle was used before you dive in
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2009 at 4:33pm
where you set the engine is also going to be critical because of balance, you need to research a later style hull that uses the 1.23 and work off of that, the shaft angle is also pretty crucial to the boats performance, if you use a 1:1 strut and requires a 1.23 strut you may throw the boat off....just some thoughts
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2009 at 4:37pm
plus the 1:1 was in line with the crank and the 1.23 is offset higher by about 3 inches
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2009 at 4:52pm
Thanks Eric! That helps alot. I tried to call you to get the number of the guy for the stringer work in GA but they said you didn't work on Saturday.

What is the difference in a 1.23 strut and a 1:1 strut?    I think I am going to do this myself. It will be a STEEP learning curve but I think it will be worth it in the end! Do you know the difference in weight from my engine to the orginal 351? Do you think it is about the same? Accordning to specs mine weights around 950 pounds. This is what I am going to do to start:

1. I am going to lower the boat in the front to raise the back.
2. Build some supports and put them under the back.
3. Then I am going to build something to hold the boat up in the garage off the floor so I can get the trailer out. The lifting point is gone so I will have to run a strap under the boat and raise it up.
5. Put some supports under the bow and lower it off the support.
6. Cut out the part of the main stringers where the cradle goes and mount the engine to the new cradle and lower it in the boat and line it up with the shaft.
7. Make some templates for the main stringers with the engine in the boat and do the split stringer configuration like critter talked about.
8. Mount the new main stringers and get them glassed in.
9. Now that I know the height of the main stringers I can make the secondary and get them in place.

Then do a stringer config much like Critter suggested. Anyone see an issue with splitting the main stringers like this?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2009 at 5:06pm
I know the BW is 98 lbs and the 1.23 is 58lbs, there is 40 lbs already.
I dont know if there is a difference in the struts, i assumed there was because i thought the 1:1's sat at 12 degrees and the pcm sits at 10 degrees
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2009 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by akabulla akabulla wrote:

Thanks Eric! That helps alot. I tried to call you to get the number of the guy for the stringer work in GA but they said you didn't work on Saturday.

Eric was talking about me, but what you have is more than I'd want to get into unless I was doing it for myself. millman1@bellsouth.net if you like.

I think a stringer gets a lot of strength down the length of the boat by being in 1 piece. However I do see what you're up against. As much work as it would be, you might be better off moving the exhaust ports in order to keep the stringers and associated glass straight and strong. Otherwise, you'd have to make the joints super strong so you'd keep from having hinges.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2009 at 6:05pm
Aka - I suggest making the overlap about twice as long as the diagram. Maybe the overlap can be pinned with dowels.

Also, reading your plan about the dryfit: please block the engine in well with 4x4's or similar (plus leaving some tension on the hoist) before getting your hands under it. I bet that was your plan but just wanted to make sure. You can't really trust those hoists!

Last thought - I took my boat off the trailer last fall - Used my floor jack & jack stand with (again the 4x4s). Had to move the jack & stand several times but got it done safely.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2009 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Where is Joe?

In an airport half way back from the keys where I left reid mojo and Paul waters , I can't really make out the details of the issues on my phone but I think this is all Doable with available parts on the old cradle.   If you haven't already post a side view of your transmission mounts.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2009 at 7:14pm
As mentioned before I would recommend the old cradle and the dual exhaust. Tim's not quite right about how the old one cradle works, the mounts do not lag into the stringers, they bolt on. There is an area scalloped out underneath the cradles where the mounts go that allows access to the underside of the cradle to put on the washer and nut using an open end wrench. Not the easiest to access and a bit of a pain to recreate when doing the stringer/floor job but functional. The only lags are the ones that hold the cradle to the stringers.

Putting the 1:23 trans into the older 2001s is a known quantity

The strut and log stay the same. The transmission is longer and requires a shorter prop shaft 51 vs 54 inches. The transmission mounts bolt to the same place on the cradle I dont know if you have the right ones or not but it looks like you do

Old left, new right.

The attaching blocks are different, but old top, new bottom, but the new would work on the old, maybe vice versa as well.

The main difference is the range of adjustment is centered much higher on the pcm style vs borg warner style

new on top, old on bottom

new left, old right

The engine mounts I think will be the same mounts you have but you might need different attaching blocks, I believe they put 350s into a few 82-88 2001s so I dont think its going to be anything major. Bolt the back mounts up and you might need to drill a couple holes in the cradle for the front mounts but it should all fit.   Using the newer motor box maybe a little tricky, but not anywhere near the level of difficulty of trying to get everything else replaced and redesigned without a template to work off of.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2009 at 10:38pm
Joe, Where have you been man!!!! Now I know why they were asking for you!! I have been swimming in fear that this project is getting out of control but you have just given me hope!

Here are the pics of my mounts. The odd thing is one motor mount has a L shape to it and one doesn't. What's up with that?

Here is one motor mount:

The other one:

Trans mount:

Trans:

The transmission actually says 1.26 not sure if that is different from a 1.23.

Here is the engine tag:

So you think I should just match the existing stringers and it should fit fine? I just put my mock up on it again and moved it forward and it actually looks like it will match up ok.

I was thinking about buying one of these to help lift the boat and get the engine in and out. It is adjustable and will fit in my garage and holds 4000 lbs:

overhead hoist

I also have two shafts already. One is 54 and one is 51 like you said:

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2009 at 12:47am
Your gonna need two of these if your using the old cradle old strut and 51" shaft. Its the right transmission I dont know why its referred to as a 1.23:1 and yet is a 1.26:1 one of lifes mysteries I guess.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2009 at 1:32am
Ordered and Thanks alot!! Got any idea why one of my motor mounts has the L shape on it and the other one is flat? Did the PCM 330s all come like that?
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2009 at 1:39am
Also what block is in my engine? I can't find the specs online and the PCM service manual in the downloads section is to old and doesn't have my engine in it.

Thanks again guys!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2009 at 9:53am
on the trans ratio's, I never photo tached them, had no reason, it even holds true on the Borg Warner trans, reverse is a touch different on the ration because it goes through a planetary, and the same for the PCM, i dont know if they average the 2 and come up with a 1.23...like joe said, one of life's mystery's, aka, your in good hands, Joe went through the learning curve already
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2009 at 1:16pm
It doesn't matter if one is not an L since you only bolt down from the top anyway. So actually the "L" is a waste and the other one is perfect.
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2009 at 2:40pm
Is this part level in the back or does the fuel tank just sit on the main stringers? I assume it is level but I wanted to check as I map out my secondary. Remember they were already removed so I have no template to go by.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2009 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

I dont know why its referred to as a 1.23:1 and yet is a 1.26:1 one of lifes mysteries I guess.

Im almost positive that mine is stamped 1.23. I was surprised to see yours say 1.26- it must have changed during one of the minor updates over the last 20 years.

Aka, sounds like youre in good hands with Joe!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2009 at 3:00pm
maybe stamped the tag wrong, never seen 1.26 stamped
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2009 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Aka, sounds like you're in good hands with Joe!

I agree. I was freaking out a little thinking I was in over my head but I think I can handle it now! I just ordered all my stuff from US Composites and I am about to go out side and remove the remaining floor and foam still in the boat!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 23>
  Share Topic