NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

new prop

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new prop
    Posted: November-18-2008 at 1:41pm
Finally received my new 3 blade acme 1442 prop after a one month wait to have it shipped here throuph the local dealer. I went for it yesterday nigth and couldn't wait any more to try it, so first thing in the morning, left the kid at school and directly to the boat. hit the old oj legend out with a hammer and a piece of wood (bubba style). Put the new prop, and boat to the water. MAN That's what i call holeshot. It stucked my back to the seat!!! The test was with no ballast. I will try it this weekeng at full load. I revs a little higher than the oj +150 rpm. Top wot with the oj was 4000 rpm. New is around 4150. Need to fix the speedos in order to have speed readings!!!
So I will report back with the results and performance under extreme heavy load!!!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2008 at 1:54pm
Glad to hear you like the 1442- Im running one now as well and its a great prop.

Unless youre running at altitude, 4000-4150 RPM is extremely low. You should be able to turn the OJ around 4400RPM, and the 1442 closer to 4600- this is assuming you have the 240/255hp motor. If you have the HO (ProBoss) then add 400 RPM to those numbers. When was the last time you did a tune up?
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2008 at 2:03pm
I wish I would know you were looking for one. My 88 had one, don't know why, and I sold it on December. I was there on March. Oh well, is amazing what a difference those prop makes. I have a 540 on my 88 and you can always see a smile when I take it out of the hole. Enjoy!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2008 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by anthonylizardi anthonylizardi wrote:

I wish I would know you were looking for one. My 88 had one, don't know why, and I sold it on December.

Really? A 1442?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2008 at 2:18pm
Tr yes those rpm are also low for me. Tune up was recently done, cables and spark plugs are almost new. Its not a pro boss is base engine. Also i have some grounding problems in the dash and sometimes heve to hit the rpm gauge in order to have a correct reading. May be i could get a gps and have the right speed measured and determine
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2008 at 2:23pm
Anthony , by march I was a newby on this site and wasn't aware of all the good info I could get here. It was last september when I decided to buy this prop. Thanks anyway. And don't forget to email me next time you hit buenos aires, we could go for a ride in my sn196!!!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2008 at 2:28pm
Crap I am confused . I check my pictures tonight. Maybe it was 422? It was 4 blade prop. I know my boat took forever to get on a plane. I will need to check. Nevermind Kapla,

I guess I got caught bluffing.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2008 at 2:32pm
You guys a better than the FBI. I did a search and it was a 422.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2008 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

Tr yes those rpm are also low for me. Tune up was recently done, cables and spark plugs are almost new. Its not a pro boss is base engine. Also i have some grounding problems in the dash and sometimes heve to hit the rpm gauge in order to have a correct reading. May be i could get a gps and have the right speed measured and determine

It sounds like it could possibly be a gauge problem- get a GPS and see what it tops out at. If its in the 42-44mph range, then youre fine- and I doubt the tach is accurate. If youre any slower than that, theres a problem. My '90 is the slowest hull Ive found and the stock (240hp) motor would still push it to 43 with a fresh Acme 3-blade. Do you have the Protec ignition, or a conventional distributor? Have you checked the timing?

Anthony, I suspected your boat didnt have a 1442 because thats a relatively new prop. I was one of the first people to try it out in the fall of '07.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2008 at 2:53pm
pro tech. Will check timing the weekend with a ligth. What are the timing numbers I should go for? initial and top?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2008 at 2:57pm

pro tech. Will check timing the weekend with a ligth. What are the timing numbers I should go for? initial and top?

Yup, exactly.

I want to say that the timing isnt adjustable with the Protec- but Im not 100% sure. You can at least verify if its advancing properly.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2008 at 3:05pm
The set up is the back box with the coil pack that hook to a flat to ditstributor right? This distributor can actually be loosen and you can move it counter or clockwise (don't know the effct it will cause) with the ligth i think I will be able to determine if moving it can change timing?
May I'm 100% wrong!!! hahaha, the protech is supossed to acuratly manage timing deppending the conditions?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2008 at 3:21pm

The set up is the back box with the coil pack that hook to a flat to ditstributor right? This distributor can actually be loosen and you can move it counter or clockwise (don't know the effct it will cause) with the ligth i think I will be able to determine if moving it can change timing?
May I'm 100% wrong!!! hahaha, the protech is supossed to acuratly manage timing deppending the conditions?

Yup, thats the Protec. Im not sure the timing can be altered, even by rotating the pickup like a conventional dist. My understanding is that the ECU controls the timing.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2008 at 4:58pm

And don't forget to email me next time you hit buenos aires, we could go for a ride in my sn196!!!

I will take that offer. Hopefully in a couple years I will go back and visit my in-laws. I will let you know and if you happen to come by Dallas/Ft. Worth - TX send me an e-mail. I will take you to checkout the locals and board. Good luck getting the timing right, hopefully that will fix it. Keep us informed.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2008 at 1:08am
Kapla do you know if your engine is stock 240/255hp or has the GT40 heads (285hp)? I would be surprised if it didnt since it pulled like hell when I was onboard a few years back

Many people here have found it impossible dealing with the protec system, so retrofitted to a conventional distributor ignition, there's a kit available at skidim.com but it's quite expensive.
If I were you I'd make sure the tach is reading good, what are your iddle rpm now?

by the way, I went to Tigre today and closed deal on the Commander and a Velvet reduction gear, so it all comes down to money and patience once again.

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2008 at 8:59am
it's base and it still pushes like hell before the prop change. I guess now it will pull even more, will try it this week end. regarding protech for me it's been working fine so why change it...
idle is around 700-800 rpm.

i will check readings this weekend with gps to see full speed.

so you were here yesterday in the morning? I was at the marina making the prop change.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2008 at 2:47pm
Update:
went out this thursday for a midweek ride, almost 100º F at 18hs hell. We were only 3 in the boat and fill up only 2 600 lbs sacs in the back of the boat. Had a nice holeshot with this new propeller. But I will report back when test under full load in order to have a good comparison in the before and after performance. Though pull when riding feels stiffer.....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic