NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

454 rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 454 rebuild
    Posted: November-16-2008 at 5:41pm
I have a 88 2001 shell I need an engine for. What costs would I be looking at to get a remaned 454 or 351 for it? I am in NC and heard of a place in GA that does engines. Any ideas?

Thanks!
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2008 at 10:54pm
do you currently have an engine for a core?
"the things you own will start to own you"
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2008 at 11:42pm
No, actually I haven't bought the boat but looking into it. I have a guy here in NC that is going to get back to me to price one out. The current boat has an oil leaking auto 305 engine in it and I am going to swap it out with an engine that has a little more power. Just trying to get a handle on the cost and do some more research.

Thanks!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2008 at 1:16am
Bold in a 454 the bell housing bolt pattern is the same as the small block. You will probably have to find a big block flywheel and flex plate for it. If you can assymble the engine yourself the costs would be far less but thats kind of a big task for someone who has never had any mechanical experience.
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2008 at 2:00am
I have some experience. I had rebuilt my the engine in my rx-7 and a big block in an older olds.

I would prefer to get the engine if it was a 351 or a 454 all assembled ready to go and just drop it in. Do you think I'm looking at 4-6 thousand or more?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2008 at 10:12am
if you shop you will find, a guy on the site had a drop in with a trans and sold it for 800.00....
with the BB, you will need manifolds and all the brackets to hang all the accessories. you have all the brackets for a small block and coukld get a brand new 5.7 out of Michigan Motors for under 3k   just some thoughts
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2008 at 3:00pm
I replaced a 305 gm with a 350 gm It's the easiest thing to do. A 350 is more common the the cheapest thing to do.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2008 at 3:48pm
Where are you located if you don't mind me asking and where did you get the engine?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2008 at 10:23am
call Michigan motors, look up his website
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic