NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stringer reprocussions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mr_beat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr_beat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stringer reprocussions
    Posted: November-03-2008 at 8:26pm
I have been reading a lot of stringer replacement posts lately, and I'm getting more worried. The boat is an 85 SN and the floor is solid but I have a gut feeling that this thing may be grossly over weight. For a first time boat owner, a new stringer job looks like a real doozie. I'm only 23 and my boating partner 29. Our biggest problem even if we had to do the floor would be resources. No place to keep it inside for months to work on a mess. I wanted to ask if there are any tell tale signs I might be able to check to see if the stringers and foam are in big trouble. I can tell you the floor is glassed over as you know from the year and what seemed odd is that the floor is raised in almost a hump on each side of the motor a bit. I was hoping this is maybe to drain towards the bilge. The hall is in PERFECT shape but the interior is less than poor. It was left outside without a cover last year, at least the drain plug was out. The floor that is behind the motor that is not coated is still solid, but the corners have begun to rott a bit. Should I look for stress fractures or any other signs? We will have the carpet and interior out over the winter to fully restore that. I know you all have lots of experience and can maybe give me some ideas.

Ryan
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2008 at 8:43pm
Why waste money on new carpet if you are worried your floor is rotten. Check your alignment.
mr_beat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr_beat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2008 at 9:30pm
TY I will check that asap. The interior won't cost us anything though just man hours. Should alignment give me a good idea of how bad things may be? I forgot to ask what is the worst possible scenario with bad stringers? It has the alumin.   Motor mount box.

Ryan
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2008 at 2:37pm
When you pull up the carpet you will notice if the floor has separated from the hull along the sides. It may also have cracked along the stringers in the back. If you notice gel cracking at floor level on the outside of the boat that is a very bad sign too.

After you verify the alignment, you can periodically check it to see if your engine is moving around on you.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2008 at 8:59pm
Mr Beat,
Where in Pgh are you. I'm just outside Cranberry Pa.
I also have an '85SN that is going to get some motor work (more ponies) in the next couple of weeks, at the same time I'm going to pull the carpet and inspect the floor and stringers.
Maybe we can get together and bounce ideas off one and other.
mr_beat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr_beat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2008 at 1:40pm
Gun-driver, sounds like a fun project. Do you have many boats? This is my first. I don't know where you're at but i'm also in southern butler county. In butler, but just a few feet from the penn township border. Boat is in Penn Twp on rt. 8 south. Just got to winterize it last week. Let me know where you're at!

Ryan
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2008 at 9:14pm
I'm right outside Cranberry off Myoma Rd. I have two SN's a '95 signature edition and a '85 2001. The '95 is in storage for the winter so now I'm starting on the '85. I'm getting some new interior covers made and carpet on the floor and also the motor top end build.
mr_beat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr_beat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 1:46pm
Cool, I use Myoma a lot to get into cranberry from where i'm at. Where are you having the upholstery work done?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2008 at 3:31am
Christines.

Drop me an e-mail and we can try to hook up.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic