NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Drove a spankin new 196

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drove a spankin new 196
    Posted: October-05-2008 at 6:29pm
Had a small college tournement this weekend and I got to drive a new red 196 SN friday evening and all day saturday. It only had 5 hours on it when I stepped down on the new carpet and hit the push button starter.

All I have to say is it is an amazing boat. I only have 2 problems. The shifters suck and the drive by wire stuff sucks. They are kind of sticky and once it is in gear you have to move it an inch or so before any throttle response is seen. The drive line also has kind of a growl to it.

The rack and pinion steering is so smooth and responsive. They have huge power on the whole shot. The new zero off system is easy to use and works great. I treated it like it was mine al weekend long. The thing will move to we tickled 50mph on the analog speedo on a speed run. The drivers seating position is extremely comfortable too as Im short and my 2001 seat I cant sit back in so it hurts my back.

I couldnt whipe the smile off my face all weekend long.
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2008 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

... All I have to say is it is an amazing boat. I only have 2 problems. The shifters suck and the drive by wire stuff sucks. They are kind of sticky and once it is in gear you have to move it an inch or so before any throttle response is seen. The drive line also has kind of a growl to it.

Sounds like you really like the boat over all. Your dislikes are interesting as I have driven many different year Nautiques and I found the 2009 to be the most throttle response I've ever experienced. In fact, when driving the 2009 SN I often came out of gear too hot, not expecting some much response from so little throttle movement. I wonder if there was an issue with the boat you were driving.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2008 at 9:46pm
I agree with Keith on electronic throttle. Our club's 08 Malibu has the snappiest throttle response I've ever experienced. Must have been that particular boat.

Also, phatsat67, is that the newest 196 you've driven relative to your 2001 model? You might be able to get into a boat with similar characteristics for much less than a brand new 196. I think that you'll find that the previous generation hulls behind the current TSC3 are all big steps up from your 2001 (I'm assuming you meant the 82-89 2001). The 90 and up SNs have lower bow rise, and much more agile handling at high and low speeds. The growl you hear is probably the reduction transmission. The rack and pinion steering has been standard since 1992 or 93.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2008 at 10:08pm
Keith & Joel, You really like that electronic throttle? Seems un natural to me, although I've not driven one. My 03 Sportster has "zero effort" controls and they are sure responsive. Downside is you can't take your hand off the throttle or the boat will slow down. I have had to learn new skills, holding the throttle with my right forearm with my right fingures on the wheel, why I replensih fluids with my left hand.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2008 at 11:45pm
Well Keith. The throttle is responsive once you get to the point when it starts to actually add throttle. Its just when you hit the in gear "notch" that you can feel in the shifter the throttle movement has no effect on the engine untill you push it an inch or so after that point. The girl thats dad owns it (she is on my ski team) also commented on the throttle being sticky and un resoponsive and she said her 07 was much more quiet as far as the drive line goes.

She is an awsome skier( slaloms into 35 off) jumps around 110 and has an amazing trick run. She has all the college records except for trick which she held untill last year. I got into 28 off at 34mph and ran 3 at 36 15 off so she still gives me crap that she can slalom better than the best guy on the team haha.

M3 im going to have to stick with the 2001(86) untill I graduate school at which point I will probably keep it to play with then buy a newer 00+ nautique for the main slalom duities.

Over all I really enjoyed the experience. I need to get tournement certified so I can drive at all the tournements instead of sitting on the shore untill its my turn to ski.

Oh I also liked the heater on my toes in the cold morning:).
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2008 at 12:21am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Keith & Joel, You really like that electronic throttle? Seems un natural to me, although I've not driven one. My 03 Sportster has "zero effort" controls and they are sure responsive. Downside is you can't take your hand off the throttle or the boat will slow down. I have had to learn new skills, holding the throttle with my right forearm with my right fingures on the wheel, why I replensih fluids with my left hand.

On our 08 RLXi, it's like "ON" or "OFF". As soon as it goes in gear (which is also electronic- there are zero cables for shifting or throttle on the 08 Bu- just a solenoid on the trans for shifting) it has instant throttle once in gear. It actually takes some getting used to. Our 07 boat did not have as instantaneous of a throttle response, and neither does my friend's 06 RLXi (all have TBW). Just this 08 is so jumpy out of the hole. Just goes to show you it's not the fact that it's TBW- it's how the TBW is calibrated.

As far as your throttle returning automatically, that's what we call a dead man's throttle. No need for that IMO. You can either install a cable brake that clamps on the cable to make the throttle stick where it is, or take off the throttle return spring if there is one. That would drive me nuts.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Nawtique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nawtique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2008 at 9:07am
Phatsat67, I have notice the same thing. We
went from an 90 SN to an 08 this year and
it has taken some getting use to.
Nawtique
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2008 at 1:54am
Nawtique, you have any photo's of that 08.

I know you have many photo's to share.

Tell everyone, I said Hey!!
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2008 at 1:59am
My Bad, Welcome to the site Nawtique !!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic