Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

big vibration with new 351w

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Cheaterpete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheaterpete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: big vibration with new 351w
    Posted: September-09-2008 at 1:39pm
Hello

I have bough a rebuilt long block to rick malaga in florida, on ebay, it's a 351w marine from 1992

the engine have to go in my boat, a correct craft 1992 ski nautique

the problem start when the engine start for the first time, it was chaking a lot, vibrating..

So I call the guy and he told me I must use a internal damper and flywheel, so, I bough on summit a new internal damper, and rebalanced the original flywheel to zero as he told me, vibration was More dramatic!

Now he told me it's my fault because I didn't use the original parts...and aftermarket won't work on those engines...

there is a 50oz flywheel possibility? is that true, how can I be sure it gonna work?

thanks for helping me

Peter
Actual boat SANTE 210 from 2014
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2008 at 3:58pm
i dont think the 50 ounce will cure the problem of vibration, something else is going on, the 50 ounce may hide the problem and snap the crank
I really never new that there were internal and external balance Fords, the chevy small block 400 is though.
i would do a little more research before purchasing anymore parts.....one of these blue guy's should be able to help you
"the things you own will start to own you"
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2008 at 4:32pm
Here is the skinny

Small block reciprocating assemblies have some balance. The compact lightweight crankshaft itself does not carry enough counterweights to achieve zero balance. Extra counterweighting is cast into the flywheel and harmonic balancer bring the entire assembly into neutral balance. Early engines use 28.2 oz.-in. external balance, while 1982 and later engines use 50 oz.-in. flywheel and 34 oz.-in. damper external balance. All 351W engines use the early style 28.2 oz.-in. external balance.

Unless PCM was screwing with you your engine and damper/flywheel combo should all be 28in oz. If it is an exotic shortblock setup with a stroker crank or with added heavy metal to allow for an zero internal balance then you would need Zero external Balance but that wouldnt ensure that both the flywheel and damper had to be zero just that together they were zero. Might be you need to get a zero balance aftermarket flex plate and have the balance of your flywheel changed to match it. But I think you should talk to the builder and let him know that we can have a ccfan reunion at his door step if he cant make this right.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2008 at 11:50pm
Joe, it is a good things we have guys like you on here. I have no idea what you're even talking about!
Cheater: glad you're still here and still cheating! Hope you get that girl going.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2008 at 12:18am
Ditto Joe on what the Dude says...I don't know what you're sayin' but I sure like the way you say it.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Cheaterpete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheaterpete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2008 at 5:41am
Ok, I think he rebuild an engine with no clue, and he can't tell me what crank did he use... so I don't know what flywheel to use...
Actual boat SANTE 210 from 2014
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic