Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

’93 missfire at 3000rpm

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mtnbkr738 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtnbkr738 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ’93 missfire at 3000rpm
    Posted: July-27-2008 at 1:47pm
Hi, '93 w 351. missfires real bad at 3k rpm. I shut down engine, and restart, all is fine, runs like a top until it hits 3k rpm. Friend said it was the Ignition...but i dont remember what this piece it called...i believe its the flat disk - thats where the distributer cap is normally...he said the "computer" is whacked out...turning off the engine resets the computer...nothing to fix just replace it for about $200...i think its called a power pak. Anyone have any input? or know what im talking about and can clarify it for me? thx
Daniel
almabes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almabes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2008 at 4:31pm
It sounds to me like ignition issues. Others who are more knowledgeable of the later model 351W will hopefully chime in here (mine's a '76), but you probably have the Pro-Tec ignition that is know to be a piece of junk. There is a .conversion kit available to convert from pro-tec back to a regular electronic ignition. Unfortunately its more than $200, and more than just a module swap to fix. Use the CCFAN coupon code and you get 10% off from SKIDIM.

Search the CCF site for Pro-Tec and you should get much more detail than I know.
favorite computer wisdom: net helpmsg 4006
'76 Martinique PCM 351W
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2008 at 2:34am
I thought I had a ProTech problem. I ended up putting in a new fuel line with inline filter, changed my plugs, even had my carb rebuilt and it all cleared up. My would start to backfire around 3k. so far it has not started up again. You could be having fuel problems. Check for any leaks in the line between the water seperater and the carb. That metal fuel line with the flair nuts goes to crap. Could be sucking in air with the fuel. The boat starves or gets the wrong mix when it hits 3k and suffers.

I think if you had ignition problems with protech, it would be all over the range, not just at 3k. But again, check the forums and see what the consensus is. I was 100 percent sold it was my protech, but it was fuel issues
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic