NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Disaster strikes my pull vehicle

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2008 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

we have an 04 4runner v8, and I use that to primarily pull my boat. It works very well.

The 4runner is built on the same frame as the tacoma, but has the v8 optional, with the same4.0 v6 as the taco standard.

Even with the 8 cylinder, it gets around 22 mpg, not towing of course. Towing the boat I don't recall what it gets but it does not drop much mpg.

I dont see that kind of mileage out of my '07 V8 Runner, but it does tow very nicely. Ive touched 20mpg in the summer on the highway (unloaded), and got 15-16mpg towing the Skier out to GL.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2008 at 2:14pm
One customer where I used to work would tow his 32' Baja twin BB Bravo & 3 axle with a Pontiac 6000. quite a specticle.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2008 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

we have an 04 4runner v8, and I use that to primarily pull my boat. It works very well.

The 4runner is built on the same frame as the tacoma, but has the v8 optional, with the same4.0 v6 as the taco standard.

Even with the 8 cylinder, it gets around 22 mpg, not towing of course. Towing the boat I don't recall what it gets but it does not drop much mpg.

I dont see that kind of mileage out of my '07 V8 Runner, but it does tow very nicely. Ive touched 20mpg in the summer on the highway (unloaded), and got 15-16mpg towing the Skier out to GL.

Are you running full synthetic oil?

When I switched from dino to full synth it gave me a nice increase in mpg.

It always got 19-20 mpg before the swap. What gear ratio do you have in yours? We have 3.73's, and ours is 4wd. Also, remember that how the engine was broken in and current driving habits can really affect mpg. The 22mpg we get is loaded with gear, 2 people and 2 dogs.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2008 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

One customer where I used to work would tow his 32' Baja twin BB Bravo & 3 axle with a Pontiac 6000. quite a specticle.

That is more than a spectacle, it is downright dangerous.

If you are over your tow rating, you can be ticketed. So that would also be illegal, and obviously illeagal to anyone that understands tow ratings and what a boat like that weighs.

I would be amazed if one of those pontiac 6000's has a tow rating of anything higher than 1500 lbs.

Heck, I recall my buddy's father towing a 16' trihull glastron with a 50hp evinrude with a wagon version of that same car. IIRC it was a carbed 2.8 v6 in that wagon, and it worked pretty hard to tow that particular boat. I can't imagine towing a 32' baja with twin motors.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2008 at 3:21pm

It always got 19-20 mpg before the swap. What gear ratio do you have in yours? We have 3.73's, and ours is 4wd. Also, remember that how the engine was broken in and current driving habits can really affect mpg. The 22mpg we get is loaded with gear, 2 people and 2 dogs.

Im not running synth- but I have considered going to Mobil1. Ive had great luck with Castrol GTX, but may consider switching for the mileage gains. Im at 30k, so Im due for new fluid in the diffs and xfer case- gonna go synthetic there for sure.

Driving habits are pretty tame- I put on ~25k/yr, so a light foot saves my wallet. My roof box probably isnt helping things, but I dont think Im paying too much of a penalty with it either. Its just too damn handy to take off- works great for ski gear both summer and winter.

DougsdevilCC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougsdevilCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2008 at 4:06pm
Snow, Ugh
CCcruiser
summitnautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote summitnautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2008 at 5:20pm
I switched to redline synth in the Taco diffs... they say it helps MPG but seems to be the same for me.
summitnautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote summitnautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2008 at 5:36pm
Eric -

I see you are from Ohio... I grew up in Sandusky. If you are on the turnpike at the rt. 250 exit that is the lake I skied on...my dad still skis there.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2008 at 7:58pm
you gotta know J-Bear,aka John Berry he skied for the westshore ski club on sandusky bay, remember the ramp?
also a Dave Mcginty Im about an hour from there and live in Aurora Shore, its a 350 acre private lake
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2008 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Im not running synth- but I have considered going to Mobil1. Ive had great luck with Castrol GTX, but may consider switching for the mileage gains. Im at 30k, so Im due for new fluid in the diffs and xfer case- gonna go synthetic there for sure.

Driving habits are pretty tame- I put on ~25k/yr, so a light foot saves my wallet. My roof box probably isnt helping things, but I dont think Im paying too much of a penalty with it either. Its just too damn handy to take off- works great for ski gear both summer and winter.

I have been using the Quaker State Q torque power full syn since about 25,000 miles on it. So, since it has 75k on it now, I would say that is right at 50k of using synth.

We bought the 04 4runner in early January of 04.
I can say that when we had our Yakima load warrior roof rack on it, and with a good amount of baggage up there that mpg did suffer. Even with the rack empty, it did create enough loss of mpg to warrant me removing it for when I really need it.
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2008 at 11:11pm
Ford 5.4s and 6.8 V10s are known for spitting out their spark plugs. They fire them right out of the head. Ford is fully aware of the problem and refuse to do anything other than sticking their customers with a HUGH bill to fix it.
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2008 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic