Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Straight Pipes

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
spe123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spe123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Straight Pipes
    Posted: July-19-2008 at 7:11am
This spring I rebuilt the carburator, packed the shaft and rudder, changed belts and hoses, and pulled the old original mufflers and brittle exhaust hose. Instead of replacing the mufflers I just ran exhaust hose from the manifolds to the exhaust ports. I was worried that it was going to be too loud.

When I started it up last month the rebuilt carb had it running smooth as can be. I shouldn't have worried about the straight pipes either. It purred at an idle and growled at speed. There is nothing like the sound of wet pipes off a 454. I have to admit that I don't notice much difference without the stock mufflers. I had hoped it might have been a touch louder.

I'm not much for noise. I use earplugs when I shoot, mow the lawn, ect. I don't think I fit the 'loud pipes save lives' attitude. But if your wondering if you should unmuffle your dual exhaust inboard, I say do it!

1985 Nautique2001 w/Chevy 454
2001 Sport Nautique
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2008 at 10:13pm
I am running straight pipes too. I like the rumble at idle and the smooth sound at speed.
You know that its running.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2008 at 1:57am
I can't stand people who antagonize others by stuff like this. We already have enough rules in life.

Stay under the radar or the no fun police...IE lawmakers will shut down the fun.

tapenick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2008 at 3:02am
90 Sport - would love to ditch the invertaflow and do a straight pipe but need to come up with a not so expensive way to do it. Basically some sort of Y connector.   Well, I guess there would be something like a 135 degree off the port side to hit the Y on the starboard.

Tom
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2008 at 4:11am
spe123... youd bring a tear to jbear's eye...
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2008 at 5:51pm
I'm also intrested on the professionals' opinions about this...
I want my boat to have the sweet sound the pre-invertaflo's had...
Is it as simple as making a Y-connection on the two exhaust tubes...???
Don't wanna make new holes in my transom as Tim (TRBenj) did, even if, to me, they are the absolute coolest exhausts on this site!
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic