NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

users of Acme 470

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
93SNautique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93SNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: users of Acme 470
    Posted: July-08-2008 at 3:51pm
I am having an issue with my Acme 470 that I think is unique (did a search and didnt find anything) and hope that someone familiar with props could give me some insight.

I got the 470 in 2006 and have had it on my boat since then. Its a 93SN with Pro Boss GT40 with 1.23:1 trans, so its about 285HP.

The improvement in hole shot was dramatic over the stock prop which was Michigan 14X16.

But after some time I noticed that when at speeds over 36 on smooth water the nose of the boat seems to "wander". I dont know what other word to use but the direction would cycle back and forth a little bit (foot/sec) but keep the general heading the same. Now I dont have many needs to go over 36 except when barefooting which is rare, but it was concerning and I wondered if the old prop did the same thing.

I finally got around to putting the Michigan back on last week. While there certainly was less hole shot (but still plenty as any competition boat owner knows) the "wandering" stopped completely.

My theoory WAG is that the extra surface area on the Acme pushes more water therefore maybe pushing the bow down a bit more than the Michigan does and changes the handling. But I am looking to see if anyone has seen a similar problem with this prop or any other.

I really like the power of the Acme but dont like the high speed handling. Anyone have any ideas as to why it does this or how to fix it if possible?

thanks,
Rich
weitekampt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2008 at 5:49pm
Rich,

I have a 1442 on my boat. Tim really recommended that prop for our boats. I honestly haven't noticed any wondering, granted I don't do many wide open blasts or run 36mph. My wife is usually driving while I am skiing at 33mph so I'd have to ask her. It would have been cool to compare these props while at the lake a few weeks ago.

But I LOVE the 1442. Smooth and tremendous hole shot.

Not much info, but my Acme doesn't do the wondering thing you're talking about.

Later!
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93SNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2008 at 8:08pm
Thanks Todd,
If i keep the prop, maybe we can do a lake test next year. The only difference between the 470 and 1422 is 3/4 inch larger diameter. I dont THINK that would make that much difference, but I dont know for sure. Thats why I posted, hoping that someone else would have more expertise.

I have emailed this issue to ACME today and hope to hear back from them.
ripster92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripster92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2008 at 11:13am
Rich,

I'm running the 470 and although I've never REALLY payed attention to that at high speeds, I don't believe that it wanders. I've been extremely happy with the performance of this prop, and probably wouldn't even experiment with anything else anymore. The one thing that I do notice is that it seems a little louder than any of the others that I've had. Hope that helps...
1992 SN Black w/ Yellow
jdkenyon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdkenyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2008 at 1:18pm
I have tried both the 470 and 1442. I currently have the 1442 on the boat. I haven't noticed it wandering at speed but when running 30+ mph and then I shove it down for barefoot speeds it feels like the boat jumps out of the water and rotates on the water a little. My wife doesn't notice it so it can't be that pronounced but it does do it. I figured it was just the boat talking to me saying it wanted to run. Once up to the higher speeds it tracks very straight.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93SNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2008 at 1:16pm
Thanks guys for the feedback.

I spoke to both ACME and MidwestCC yesterday. My 470 has a lot of extra cup compared to stock 470, so that could be a contributing factor. I had extra cup added to try and lower RPM's a bit. Current theory is that it could be causing turbulence or cavition that causes the rudder to lose traction. It only happens at high speed and seems to lessen in rough water. I am going to try driving in different water conditions to see what affect it has. No one thought a tunable rudder would fix this because it wasnt a directional issue.

MidwestCC said they have not heard of this before with a SN or an Acme prop. They said they have seen similar issues on older boats that have much smaller rudders and someone puts too big a prop on it pushing too much water. They did a much better job of wording it, but you get the picture.

But its interesting to see how much goes into matching props, rudders, hulls, etc.

Rich
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2008 at 4:59pm
Rich, thats strange- I havent noticed any wagging with my boat on any of the Acme's Ive run (422, 1442, 612, 470, cupped 470), and Ive spent a LOT of time at WOT. I can tell you that every hull is a little bit different though, so maybe youre seeing some sort of anomoly with a particular hull/prop combo. Its also true that Acme's have very little, or possibly slightly negative rake, so that will bring the nose down a touch like you suspect.

At the very least, Im glad to hear that performance while skiing is much improved. Let us know if you find out the culprit!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93SNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2008 at 5:44pm
Tim, thanks for responding. I know you have tried a lot of these props. I spoke to Midwest CC today and they asked me if I had a pull on the steering wheel before this problem occured with either prop. This boat does not have a pull or load on the wheel with either prop.

They did say that with a rudder adjusted for "neutral", that it is possible to see some "fish tailing" (what i am calling wandering), and that it could get worse with the ACME because its is a more "aggressive" prop than my Michigan.

Based on what I have experienced, that sounds pretty reasonable to me. Midwest also suggested to grind the trailing edge of the rudder on the side I would want the boat to pull towards and that would probably get rid of the problem. Obviously I wish I had the adjustable rudder at this point, but I sure dont want to spend $400+ just to fix this if a little grinding can fix it.

They said it wouldnt take much grinding and that I wouldnt need much load (pull).

New question; Does everyone have a small amount of pull on their steering wheel. I have seen this discussed before but no good key words to search on without going through a bunch of posts. At this point I have none.
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2008 at 10:32pm
Most course skiers will adjust or grind rudders to have a little pull. Really helps if you drive for a skier who can lean away well.
BTW, nice color choice on your 93.
I'd rather have a drink on the rocks in the boat than have a boat on the rocks in the drink. Been there, done that, no bueno.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic