Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need Help GT-40 Trouble

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
1998Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Help GT-40 Trouble
    Posted: July-02-2008 at 6:46pm
My Gt-40 is still loseing power for a slpit second every once in a while here is a list of what I have done to try and solve it.
New LPP & HPP
Cap and Rotor
Plugs and Wires
New Relays
Cleaned Pick up Screen
New Water Fuel Seperator Filter
Checked all wires and added Dia-Electric Grease on all connections

Any Ideas on anything else
Thank You

Any other ideas on what I can try.

beck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2008 at 6:54pm
so does just everything quit out for a second like the engine and everything?
1994 Sport Nautique 21ft 5.8L EFI Pro Tec Injection 310HP
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2008 at 7:42pm
I thought you were going to replace the coil ? That's what was wrong with mine with the same symptoms. You might also need to replace the ECM unit.

Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
beck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2008 at 7:46pm
like my boat everytime i hit a big wave it just quits and the circuit breaker blows i dont know where to look i know it has something to do with the iginition button cuz it happened and i couldnt push it back in for a while. and suggestions?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2008 at 10:10pm
I did change the coil Sorry I forgot to metntion that. Is a ECM expensive? Or any ideas. It doesn't all together quit it cuts out for a 1/2 a second.
beck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2008 at 10:54pm
anyone have any suggestions about what my problem is?
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2008 at 5:16pm
I had the same problem with my '95 a couple of years back. I chased this one 'til I was nuts. I finally swerved into it: It was the fuel pump relay.

I was hoping that was you too. Another dude that was chasing the same issue found his "kill switch" lanyard set up was faulty. Another guy chased his to the fuse right at the battery.

If you get a fuel pressure gauge you can measure the fuel pressure while running the boat. If your cutout is coincidental with a drop in pressure you can focus on the fuel delivery side of the equation.

There is a module on the side of your distributor that I was told heats up and can jack some stuff up. Some auto guys told me that was a weak part of the 351 engine design. I never replaced it, but it was on my list.

MY boat also had an in-line fuel filter that was clogged to beat the band. I was sure that was it. I could hardly blow thru it. To my horror it was not the culprit.

Let me know how it goes!

Toes up baby!

PS. key word seach GT-40 and you may pick up other good stuff.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2008 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by LakeBoy LakeBoy wrote:

I had the same problem with my '95 a couple of years back. I chased this one 'til I was nuts. I finally swerved into it: It was the fuel pump relay.

I was hoping that was you too. Another dude that was chasing the same issue found his "kill switch" lanyard set up was faulty. Another guy chased his to the fuse right at the battery.

If you get a fuel pressure gauge you can measure the fuel pressure while running the boat. If your cutout is coincidental with a drop in pressure you can focus on the fuel delivery side of the equation.

There is a module on the side of your distributor that I was told heats up and can jack some stuff up. Some auto guys told me that was a weak part of the 351 engine design. I never replaced it, but it was on my list.

MY boat also had an in-line fuel filter that was clogged to beat the band. I was sure that was it. I could hardly blow thru it. To my horror it was not the culprit.

Let me know how it goes!

Toes up baby!

PS. key word seach GT-40 and you may pick up other good stuff.

That module on the distributor is called the TFI, Thick Film Ignition module.

It is essentially a Hall effect sensor. These apparently have been known to go out at inopportune times, and there even was a class action lawsuit against ford for this. I never have had any real issues with these TFI modules, despite most of my vehicles having them. I had 1 go out on one of my 86 bronco 2's I had, but my 2 5.0 mustangs and the other 86 bronco 2, and the 89 bronco 2 my ex gf had never gave issues either. Between those 5 vehicles they had probably close to 2 million total miles. One bronco2 had like 415k on it when totalled by a drunk driver.

So I don't think the problems are quite as bad as once suspected.

Here is a tester for the TFI
http://www.stangnet.com/tech/tfi.shtml

And a little more info
http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/TFI.htm
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2008 at 5:59pm
Mine is wired direct to the battery? Anything else I can check?
jerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2008 at 8:07pm
Did you check the 20 Amp fuse right after the battery that it's not loose or cracked?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic