NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT-40 Head ID?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT-40 Head ID?
    Posted: June-23-2008 at 4:38pm
Can anybody go over what I should look for to verify a set of heads are GT-40 heads?? Markings, valve size...etc??

Thanks

Tim

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 4:48pm
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 4:51pm
Thanks Tim

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 5:03pm
tr, should they also be stainless valves? and i thought under the cover you would see gt casted in.
i was told when i bought them they were gt, and they are Tims (Cochrans) if they are. i just need and he needs a way to identify them, i remeber putiing a magnet to the valves and it didnt stick
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

tr, should they also be stainless valves? and i thought under the cover you would see gt casted in.
i was told when i bought them they were gt, and they are Tims (Cochrans) if they are. i just need and he needs a way to identify them, i remeber putiing a magnet to the valves and it didnt stick

Ive never heard of using SS valves, but thats possible. Youre also correct about the markings- the GT40p heads Ive seen say GTP, and I believe the regular GT40's just say GT.
Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 5:23pm
The Tri-State GT40p heads have

Stainless 1 Piece Swirl-Polished Under-Cut Stems 1.940” Intake Valves
Stainless 1 Piece Swirl-Polished Under-Cut Stems 1.540” Exhaust Valves
Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by Behl Behl wrote:

The Tri-State GT40p heads have

Stainless 1 Piece Swirl-Polished Under-Cut Stems 1.940” Intake Valves
Stainless 1 Piece Swirl-Polished Under-Cut Stems 1.540” Exhaust Valves

Very true, but remember that those heads are rebuilt with new valves. Stock valve size on the P's is 1.86/1.46, IIRC.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2008 at 10:07am
thses were new heads and i bought them about 5 years ago from a ford wiz in which he had 5 sets and i ended up selling them to another guy who never used them and he is selling them back, once they are in my hands I'll identify them. seeing the Ford plant isnt to far away, thats how this guy got them and my memory is real shakey but he said they didnt have the GT casted in them for a reason and i used the magnet and kinda remeber measuring the intakes at 1.9.....I think I went temporarily insane at the time because my plans were to build a 347 for a Mach one i had, but therapy got me through and sold all the blue stuff off lol
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic