NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop Trouble

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prop Trouble
    Posted: June-23-2008 at 1:57am
So I dinged the prop that I just had redone this weekend. Luckily it was at the end of the day and it didn't cause too much of a problem. But made me think about how much of a pain it would be if I was on a longer trip and it happened. So, I want to buy another prop to use everyday and then keep this one as a backup. This prop is a 13 x 13 1" RH Federal three blade. I know it is the original prop that came on the boat.
I need some advice on what would be a good replacement for this prop. I have a 1:1 PCM transmission and stock 351 HO Ford. Also, I would really like to have it by next weekend.

azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 10:25am
Randy-
When did they start putting in the 1:1 trans in the Sport? My '89 has the 1.23:1. I just put on the Acme 470 and I am happy with it. The hole shot is much, much, much better. Top end may not be as good (I have not had a chance to GPS check it yet), but I was willing to sacrafice a few MPH for the hole shot.
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 10:37am
Randy, call me, i think i can still get the 470 pretty cheap. eric 290 plus 9.00 drop charge
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 12:13pm
Adam, they started installing the 1.23 in '89, but while most boats got it, it was technically an option. Randy's got the base 1:1.

Randy, dont take Eric up on his offer- the 470 wont work for you (1.23 only). You'd want the 540 if you go with an Acme. By the way, are you sure youve got the HO? Ive only seen the base 240hp mated to the 1:1. If its the HO, then the heads will have 3 bars at the end of the casting.
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 12:58pm
Hey Randy,

I'm sorry to hear about your prop incident. Been there done that a couple of times.

I was running the stock 13X13 stock prop on my '86. I bought the ACME 540 prop that Tim recommends. It's got excellent bite off the line and I notice less vibration at higher speeds. The other feature is it sort of acts like a brake. When you throttle down, it slows your boat down quicker than the stock 13X13.

Ken

azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 1:34pm
Good to know Tim. Thanks for the info. I thought they all had the 1.23:1.
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 2:22pm
540 too.....
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 2:51pm
Thats a good deal for a 540, however if you want to get out cheaper looks like there is a direct replacement used 13x13 federal in the parts for sale section for $150.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 4:10pm
Tim,
yeah, I'm sure it is the HO. has the GT 40 heads, they are stamped witht the three bars and I think it even says GT40. I went through this before on here. it is definetly a 351 HO with GT40 heads and 1:1 PCM Tranny.

Eric, I'll give you a call.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2008 at 2:21am
Thanks for the help everyone. I ended up getting the Acme 540 from Delta. From what I've read about the Acme I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of improvement I get in performance. I almost went with the used one in the parts for sale, but wanted to try out something else and Delta is out of Cincinnati so, I'll have it by tomorrow.

Thanks again Eric for trying to help me out. Too bad they would of had to special order it. I'm too impatient.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic