NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boom on old boat

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boom on old boat
    Posted: April-28-2008 at 5:18pm
I just picked up a boom last fall for use on my Tique. I havent used it yet, in fact just mounted it for the first time this weekend since the boat has been garaged since I got it. I noticed the boom rests on the inside edge of the gunnel.   

When putting a little downward pressure on the boom the gunnel flexes quite a bit. Is there a risk of cracking the fiberglass. I'm not too concerned about pulling people short line or tumble ups, but I know some people start or advocate learning to start by hanging from the boom with all your weight on it, arms stretched out below the shoulders. Anyone with an old boat and boom face this?
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2008 at 5:33pm

I had the same problem on my BFN. What I did was wrap a ski belt (from Boaters World) around the boom so that the weight rests on the outer edge of the gunnel. It worked like a charm.
Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2008 at 5:45pm
That works or if you dont like that idea you could get yourself a block of some kind of rubber and cut a wedge shape out of it to distribute the weight evenly over the gunnel.
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2008 at 10:55am
Larry, even my 86 has a tapered gunnel and the boom rests on the inside edge mostly. Maybe not as pronounced as yours and doesn't seem to flex as you describe.

How about an extended pylon with a guidewire out to the end of the boom for upward support? hahaha.just kiddin. The ski belt and rubber wedge are great ideas.
-Brad
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2008 at 1:51pm
Feelgood cut a block of wood to distribute the weight to the outside edge of the gunnel and down the hull. The flex on the gunnel won't nearly be as much when the boat is in the water and allowed to rock vs. on the trailer.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2008 at 12:25am
Problem solved. The BoomMate 6000, specially designed vintage boat boom accessory to reduce stress on the inside of your gunnel. I am selling these specialty items for 3 easy payments of $29.99. Can you really put a price on protecting your precious vintage boat???

(if you think it is just a bow stop from a trailer with the bottom sliced off and a bungee cord stuck through it, looks can be deceiving)
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2008 at 12:34am
Niceee 75 making boat parts from boat parts haha.
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2008 at 1:06am

Mr. Goldberg,is that you ?
Watch your fingers.

phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2008 at 1:50pm
that was an excellent idea!
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2008 at 2:19pm
Larry,
That is a great idea. I think a patent is your next step. Where did you get those high tech materials? Your engineering department must be huge.
Actually, my question is, where is the knot in the prorietary elastic securing hawser?
Nice Job,
Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2008 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by tullfooter tullfooter wrote:

Actually, my question is, where is the knot in the prorietary elastic securing hawser?

Well I personally would have thought that that would have been proprietary information, but I went and checked with the research and design department here at TLH Enterprises, Inc, and they said, well, since it's Steve go ahead and tell him, but don't share it with anyone else.

I (I mean they) clipped the ends of the bungee. It was fat enough that when you ram both ends into the hole (with a screwdriver)so that they overlap, it stayed in there pretty tight. (the end you cant see hangs out a bit so you can hold it while ramming the other end in)

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2008 at 2:48pm
Hog rings are the latest in bungee fastening technology, its all about hog rings these days.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Problem solved. The BoomMate 6000, specially designed vintage boat boom accessory to reduce stress on the inside of your gunnel. I am selling these specialty items for 3 easy payments of $29.99. Can you really put a price on protecting your precious vintage boat???

[IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/lhine763/IMG_0358.jpg">

[IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/lhine763/IMG_0360.jpg">

(if you think it is just a bow stop from a trailer with the bottom sliced off and a bungee cord stuck through it, looks can be deceiving)

So what is that if it is not a bow stop?
Got Foot?
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 11:02pm
The BoomMate 6000.

now thats funny stuff..

btw Great Idea!!!!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 11:10pm
OK...errrr.. never heard of it other than this thread. I suppose you are messing with me.
Got Foot?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2012 at 2:07am
Roy, of course it´s just a bowstop with a bungee cord. It´s Larry´s creation. Hi tech though...you can see I made one similar, see picture in the learning to barefoot post...I already had a call from larry´s lawyers with some patent infrigment´s claim...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic