FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Snow and Water Spring Ski

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snow and Water Spring Ski
    Posted: April-20-2008 at 5:51pm
About two months ago, Tim, Nick, Brad and I had a plan to try to snow and water ski in the same day to kick off the spring. A lot of things had to come together, including the weather. This past Friday, everything lined up - sunny, clear blue skies; air temp in the low 70’s and Tim’s ’72 Skier ready to run.

After heading up to Vermont late Thursday night, we hit the trails early on Friday morning – snow skiing until about 11:00 am. We then headed sound and were on the water by 2:30.

Here are a bunch of photos from from Friday:

Harper's Marina

First Run

Nick (Easy Rider)

Keith

Tim

Nick

Brad

Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2008 at 10:09pm
That's a pretty sweet Friday, nice pics.
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2008 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

That's a pretty sweet Friday, nice pics.

It was a great day all around. Thanks fellas for making it all come together!

Oh, yeah, and thanks Hollywood for letting us use your ski for the day. We all enjoyed the tight turns and cut backs
-Brad
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2008 at 11:56pm
Brad, are you skiing a telemark snow ski setup?

Looks like a fun day! How is the slalom wake behind the 72?

Also, what's the story with the helmets? Is that the hot thing now on the slopes?
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2008 at 12:34am
Good eye Joel, yeah, I ski on telemark gear.
Helmets have been pretty popular for a while now. Skiers without helmets are in the minority these days. In addition to the safety factor, helmets are very comfortable and keep your head and ears toasty warm too.

The slalom wake behind the skier was pretty good. I'm sure it will be much better without all the extra weight of someone in the back and all the gear we carried along.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2008 at 1:40am
Looks like a great time to me. Glad you guys had fun and everything worked out for you.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2008 at 2:36am
Originally posted by Barracuda Barracuda wrote:

Oh, yeah, and thanks Hollywood for letting us use your ski for the day. We all enjoyed the tight turns and cut backs
-Brad

Easy man, don't wear out all it's flex before I get to lay her down in July.
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2008 at 7:07am
Originally posted by Barracuda Barracuda wrote:

Good eye Joel, yeah, I ski on telemark gear.
Helmets have been pretty popular for a while now. Skiers without helmets are in the minority these days. In addition to the safety factor, helmets are very comfortable and keep your head and ears toasty warm too.

Same thing here in Europe. On the slopes in Italy, Austria and Switserland, the helmets are also very popular...
Telemark ski's are seen now and then, but on the feet of experienced skiers tho...
I haven't tried them yet.

Kristof

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2008 at 1:14pm
Very cool Guy's.

You have got to love the "No Jet Ski's" rule.
Interesting to see however, there was a suburb on the Fox River that imposed that rule many years ago and IIRC Kawasaki fought it and won.
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2008 at 1:31pm
Our crew used to call those kind of days 'Biathalons' when I lived in Wyoming.

Barracuda- Always Good to see another pin head (tele-skier)on the hill... free your heel and the rest will follow.

Life is Good.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2008 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Also, what's the story with the helmets? Is that the hot thing now on the slopes?

I just had a cousin, a very serious snow and water skier, take a serious crash into a tree skiing through the woods 2 weeks ago. She's in two casts and her face is banged up, but compared to the helmet which was absolutely destroyed shes in pretty good shape. She had no concussion or head injuries, her doctor said he was a skeptic about the effectiveness of the helmets but after seing what was left of hers he's a believer now.

Great pics guys.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2008 at 1:37pm
Tim, The Skier looks really nice. Post some more pics.

What a great 2 weeks, (this and last) we've had for spring skiing. Looks like a good time.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2008 at 2:03pm
That was a great day- we couldnt have asked for better conditions! Id love to make it an anual thing.

Joel, the Skier's wake is pretty large- but very soft. I sliced right through it, though I suppose some credit does go to the high-performance Stinger ski, as I had the fin set to the Competition level.

Bruce, Ive been dragging my feet with the Skier pics- I havent had much of a chance to play with it yet. The waterline stripe has to go (possibly to be replaced with more original version), and Ive got some sanding to do near the waterline. Ive also got the original tach and period-correct speedo to put in, as well as the original pylon. The first thing that will get done is a minor trailer refurb- new wheels/tires, axle/springs/hubs, Alan's boat guides, etc.

From when I picked it up a few weeks ago:

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2008 at 12:28am
Awesome idea. Looks like you guys had a blast. Sure helps having crazy friends.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2008 at 2:26am
Keith,

Where was the snow skiing? How far was it from the lake? Here in Sisters we back country ski the corn snow in the morning and hit the lake in afternoon when the snow gets sticky. It's usually the routine in late March and April, but this year it's just starting due to the cold spring. I didn't know others were doing this.

I'm a Teleskier as well. I switched to Tele from alpine about 12 years ago when I started working in avalanche control. With a set of skins in pocket the Tele's make a smooth transiting for getting around terrain.

Travel time from the mountains to the nearest lake here is about 20 minutes, but for warmer water we drive 45 minutes.

Looks like you guys had a totally cool day!
Work to live, not live to work.

Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2008 at 3:51pm
79Tique,
The lake is right near my house. We headed up to the mountains to snow ski. That day we went to Okemo in Ludlow, VT. It was about 2.5 hours from the where we hit the water. It worked out well. We had a free place to stay on the mountain the night before and managed to ski for free from 9-11:00 am. We left the mountain about 11:30 and managed to get on the water by about 2:45 pm.

We had a very unusual warm week, temps where in the high 70's. Most, if not all, the mountains were closing that weekend. That said, the ice was still in on some of the lakes near where we snow skied and I bet the water was still under 50 on the lake when we skied.

I've skied Tuckerman's Ravine on Mt. Washington as late as June 4th and if we needed to wait another few weeks, that would definitely be the way to go.

Great part of the country you live in. I've never been to OR but have skied Crystal in WA and loved it.

Brad's the tele guy in our group. I did tele for a season a few years ago and really like it. Just haven't yet made the investment in another set of boots and bindings, and a forth set of boards.

Where do your patrol? I've mentioned here before that I have a very good friend who is a patroller at A-Basin. I've gone out with him patrolling for a day. What a great way to enjoy the mountain.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
paul96cc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul96cc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2008 at 10:13pm
Where is the lake?
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2008 at 1:15am
Glad to hear there are other tele skiers on here!

79- Oregon is a beautiful state. Never been to Sisters. Silverton and Salem are as close as I've been. I really enjoyed Portland, visting Mt Hood, the Timberline Lodge, driving from Astoria down along the coast and my handfull of stays on the coast (in Lincoln City).Hope to make it back there someday.
-Brad
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2008 at 2:23am
Keith and Brad,

I don't do much patrol work any more, mainly guide in and the back country and teach avalanche science classes.

In years past I've patrolled all over the place, but the local hills are Hoodoo ski area and Mt.Bachelor.

If any of you guys are ever out to Oregon let me know I have lots of connections to put you guys up in Sisters. Depending on the season I can get free lift tickets, or I'll take out to some of our lakes in my 94. Maybe do both
Work to live, not live to work.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic