NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Extended Pylon

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
78Ski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78Ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extended Pylon
    Posted: April-10-2008 at 11:27pm
I'm looking to buy an extended pylon for my 78 ski nautique. The stock pylon has a bend towards the bottom, will this be a problem?

Does anyone know the diameter of the stock pylon for a 78? I would measure it but the boat is in storage.

Thanks
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2008 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by 78Ski 78Ski wrote:

I'm looking to buy an extended pylon for my 78 ski nautique. The stock pylon has a bend towards the bottom, will this be a problem?

I'm sure it's been done, but I thought it would be a problem on my '79. I had 3 tabs welded on the pylon just above the bend. Standing in the back of the boat, put them at 9, 12, and 3 o'clock.

An unfortunate side dish is that you're pylon will be a bit taller?!!?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
78Ski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78Ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 1:29am
Thanks for the help. What kind of tower is on your BFN? It looks great.

I'm considering a tower but I may be selling in a year to buy a SAN. I'm not sure if the tower would be a smart purchase.

Captleisure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 3:15am
I have a Skylon on my '79, it has a hole drilled through with a keeper pin which doesn't allow the pylon to slide all the way down, like Buffalo said it gives you bonus length. I can measure it for you in the am.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2008 at 11:51am
I have just recently purchased 2 SN2001's from the US & imported to Australia. They both have bends towards the bottom of the pylons. Is this normal for the SN2001?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2008 at 12:03pm
The bend in the pylon is normal. The extended pylons Ive seen (I have a Fly High) dont go all the way to the floor- there is a bold that goes through them that rests on the top of the stock pylon.
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2008 at 12:29pm
Will- Are you planning to remove the ring and finger from the top of your stock plyon?
If not, you will need to find an extended pylon that clamps to the side of the pylon.We've been using a clamp style for a couple years now and they work very well. We even pulled 4 barefooters long line from it last fall.
-Brad
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2008 at 8:45am
"The bend in the pylon is normal"

Thanks TRBenj. I was wondering how they could have been bent in roughly the same place. I knew you Americans were having a obesity crisis but.....

Why do they have this bend ?? All our ski poles in Aus are perpendicular to the floor.

emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2008 at 1:27pm
What you may want to consider is a Flitepipe it clamps to the outside of the pole. I dont think they are still being made, but come up for sale every so often. I have a spare one that I am considering selling.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2008 at 1:50pm
I feel they were bent to hug the motorbox and allow more interior space in the older, smaller ski boats. CC progressively stopped bending them and I heard anything '01+ is perfectly straight.
BigAir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2008 at 6:43pm
I got a piece of aluminum bar stock from a salvage yard, took it to a machine shop and had them use their lathe to create a new straight pylon. I had them make it about a foot longer than stock so that the rope clears heads in the back seat better too. Total cost was about $100.00. It works perfectly for skiing or using an extended pylon and my factory bent pylon sits in the garage unmolested.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic