NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tow capacity help...

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 456
Author
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2011 at 3:38pm
I've driven most everything that chrysler has out now and the pentastar v6 3.6 has excellent power and outstanding fuel economy. They new grand cherokees are beautiful inside and out and drive great. I am very impressed with everything chrysler has out in the 11-12 model years.

63 I hope you got a good one they are really fun to drive and sound cool but after these two leave the shop we are thinking about denying work in the future on them because of the lack of informatio from chrysler due to the off brand engine and the short two year production run. Most of those jeeps went over seas.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2011 at 4:58pm
I think you're right Zach, few dealers know how to service them and I doubt they really want to. There's an owners group that has a ton of good info (kind of like CCF!) and one of the tune companies is really helpful. Though you say the Grand diesel is a better package I suspect it will have the same problem, only a 2 year run in production so not much knowledge out there. I have a few guys I'd trust to work on mine if the need arises.

The other thing about the V6 pentastar is they mated it to a 6 speed tranny, while the 5.7 hemi still uses the 5 speed 545RFE (I hope I have that correct). So it actually feels smoother and quieter on the highway than the multi-displacement hemi.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2011 at 5:35pm
I'm not really up on Jeep engines now,every one I have/had have the straight 6. If I was towing alot I'd go with a v8. Going thru those rolling hills in Georgia with the Mustang intow the cruise control would try to maintain speed.The trans would then drop a gear and the engine rev up.It was better just to turn if off and let the speed drop.I would think the torque of the 8 would just pull it thru with out shifting.
The last day home thru Kentucky and Illinois we had an increadable tailwind- we were running at 70 and got 27mpg that day. Could have easily been a headwind, then I would not have been as happy!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2011 at 12:32pm
asleep at the wheel, how did i miss this?
Gary 60 mile commute, one thing that kills me and i think the righties are somehow involved is the published MPG's on these TDI VW's are around 42 mpg, my buddy bought an 012 and gets 52, i can hit 50mpg, I also throw anything i can down the tank a gallon at a
time including strained transmission oil, but like the shoemaker with holes in his shoes, I lost reverse and havnt had a chance to fix it, adapted the driving to not include reverse lol.
one thing i can add and take it to the bank, we put alotta cars up on the frame rack (pulls metal after damage) normally anything ricey (foriegn) the metal will rip from the car at the spot welds, I can see the nips are doing what the American car companies are doing from the 80's, cheaponing them up, the tough ones to yank on nowadays seem to be the Chrylers. and I dont want to bring up the lackeys that assemble the nip cars in cornfield USA, because the marketing scam seems to work on the less informed commoner.
Ford has came along way, they can build a car, and a truck but stay away from the 6.4 diesel, I guess Ford dropped International and tried to build it themselves, like anything you are going to have problems. you guys gotta remember, those 80,000 lb trucks are getting 10 mpg, they pretty much have those down to a science, they will define the diesel for everyday driving, like everything else in this country it will be done in steps, fck i shouldve waited cause i can get a 80 inch tv for the same money i paid for the 45 a year ago...thats what i mean by in steps
"the things you own will start to own you"
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2012 at 3:42pm
Eric I believe you on the metal ripping because its easy to push on the fenders of the new dodge trucks and the bumpers are paper thin but other than that the products impress me as long as they dont get rusty down the road.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2012 at 4:03pm
Hey Eric,
I don't believe it has anything to do with the lefties or righties. The old standards were hard to live up to, few got the rated mileage and owners were disappointed. Some years back they changed the formula and now they better reflect what an average driver will get. I get more mileage than advertised on both my wife's and my car by about 15%. My wife, however, gets less. The tests are good numbers for comparison since they are under controlled conditions, (humidity, temp, fuel quality, ect.) but as you know, we all drive differently.
I would like to talk to you about my Mustang trans. l will email you later.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2012 at 8:53pm
Paging Eric.
I am looking for transmission advice. My 70 Mustang had been in storage for 8 years before I bought it. I started it briefly when I got it home and it seemed to run well. Is there a procedure you prefer to follow for the transmission after 8 years without running? I am tempted to send it to you for what may be an necessary overhaul, but I would prefer not to if it is unneeded. Is there anything I should look for / do before taking it out? I intend to change the fluid at a minimum and will use what's listed in the manual online unless you prefer something else. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanx!

P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2012 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Ford has came along way, they can build a car, and a truck but stay away from the 6.4 diesel, I guess Ford dropped International and tried to build it themselves,

I trust International FAR more than some pokey car company to build a proper diesel.

The issues Ford experienced with the 6.0/6.4 were due to Ford's ignorance and stupidity. Navistar didn't have NEAR the issues with the 6.0 when it was used in their applications.

With a track record like that, it's only a matter of time before the 6.7 starts to eat itself.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2012 at 12:35am
You got another new boat? Congrats! The other one is so sweet I am surprised you jumped for a "daily driver"
Looks like Island Lake right near Sleights.

P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2012 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

You got another new boat? Congrats! The other one is so sweet I am surprised you jumped for a "daily driver"
Looks like Island Lake right near Sleights.

Wait...what? Who? Me?
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2012 at 10:09am
John i was yanking on the r and l thing, all i can suggest on the trans is an alignment and oil change and see if it works,
what a mess this 6.4 is, 4 balls came off the ends of the pushrod on the left bank, washed down the cylinders and they are shot, really, they use little plastic clips to hold the rockers on, 107 on it, not much on the mileage, i think alot of over engineering and maybe they turned the project over to the greenies fresh out of college
"the things you own will start to own you"
oledb4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledb4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2012 at 11:53pm
So today I purchased a 2004 Dakota automatic v6 2wd. You think this will be fine sufficient pulling my '86 Nautique 2001???
oledb4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledb4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2012 at 11:55pm
It's a club cab
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 12:32am
A fine choice. The long wheel base will help. Thanks for supporting the American economy.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 1:27am
Originally posted by oledb4 oledb4 wrote:

So today I purchased a 2004 Dakota automatic v6 2wd. You think this will be fine sufficient pulling my '86 Nautique 2001???

Yes. Enjoy the boat. Enjoy the truck.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 11:42am
The Dakota is a lot more truck than a Ranger, even though it's considered "Mid-Size" you're definitely closer to full size end of the spectrum   
oledb4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledb4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 1:18pm
I appreciate all the insight guys!
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 1:40pm
Nice buy Justin, glad you bought American! I believe that has a tow rating of 4,800 lbs. if I searched correctly. If you have any wheel spin retrieving at the ramps, put some weight in the bed (a couple of friends is the easiest portable weight!).

How about some pictures of the truck and boat?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
oledb4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledb4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 2:26pm
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=24315&title=check-stringers

There are some pictures I posted in another forum...I will have some pics of the truck soon
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 2:29pm
Who is on the dock?
oledb4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledb4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 4:06pm
She's a benefit of owning a boat
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 5:57pm
We don't allow those boots in our boats...   
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 6:25pm
I do!

Why don't you benefit CCF with a picture minus that damn chair in the way.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 6:30pm
Kapla would allow the boots, but he wouldn't allow the pants, the jacket or the t-shirt that's under the jacket.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 6:33pm
Yea sorry I was kind of getting at the whole don't allow the boots or anything else she's/other attractive members of the opposite sex are wearing.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 456
  Share Topic