Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Restoring 82SN in South Africa

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3456>
Author
nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2009 at 6:26am
The battery box is still a mystery to me. I still can't find one here. Once i've put that floor piece down i'll cut it out and glass a new one in using the foam as a mold. I'm not to happy about this but it's the only solution at this stage. I saw someone use the vacuum process here lately, but i'm not confident trying it, so i'll do successive layers to build it up.

You'll also notice the piping for the battery cables is not i yet. I'll serrate the edge of the pipe and push it through the foam into the shaped cavity, remove the cut foam core, trip the pipe tips and push through for good. The glassing of the box can then begin.
1982 SN 2001 RIP (Resto in Progress)

Don's Diary

uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2009 at 10:11am
It not hard to make a battery box just check out the size battery you are going to use add a small bit to the size make a box up out off scrap ply/wood/chipboard etcbut just tape it together just to hold it not too much then cover with plastic and fold into box with tape to hold in place, then cover a flat board with plastic to work off place your box on the flat board so the open side down then tape around the box using we call brown parcel tape 50mm and its a bit fiddly you can make a rad between the box and base board must be no gaps for a good job also use the brown tape in other parts that you need to hold down epoxy will not stick to it as its plastic too.
Now cover in a coat of epoxy(can tint it if you have some) then cloth 2 ways and coat after that pre wet biaxial 2 way and coat with some more strips around the top flange/sides then if no vac just cover it with cling film/pallet wrap tight that works too leave when dry unwrap lift off base board by releasing the plastic base sheet,then peal off and fold the box in and pull out as its only held by tape (if you put a small taper so its smaller in the base of the box when you make it even better to remove)
I have used this on my ducting in the hull too and works well.
Keep it up good post to follow.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
BigBlockFooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBlockFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2009 at 9:07am
Hi Don

Finally a few pics. Not done with the stereo install.New teak on the step plates.Remote for stereo on dash,etc.

Later

'84 B/N 454

Footers do "it" for at least a minute.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBlockFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2009 at 9:14am
Don
No problem. 083 282 1698 Call me before you install the new rope.Almost had a R400.00 boo-boo.I've had the B/N for 8 1/2 yrs now and once took the motor apart completely for nothing.Turned out to be something stupid. Needless to say, I learned a lot very fast. Maybe we can get together one weekend and you can give some wakeboarding lessons ?

'84 B/N 454

nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2009 at 9:38am
Hi Duane:

Your ride looks super. The teak inserts came out great! Looking at the rub rail...i'll be using the same supplier..thanks for that lead earlier...looks awesome. One thing i love about this boat is the chrome cursive logo on the dash...great in this era. Thanks for showing me.

Would you mind if i drop you a mail from time to time re sourcing parts and a bit of service advice as needed?

Also, add a space by entering twice to get a line break between each forum code per picture,

For example:

IMG]uploads/29012009138.jpg[/IMG

IMG]uploads/29012009138.jpg[/IMG

Note i left the outer brackets out to enable this demonstration.

Don's Diary

Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2009 at 11:36am
Nice work, bigblack :)

Where did you get the rope for your rub-rail? I'd like to get a black rope for mine... what size did you order?
1989 Ski Nautique (SN2001)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBlockFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2009 at 1:32pm
Greg

Got it from a company here in Centurion called Elephant lifting. It is a 16mm poly-e I think. They did have black when I was there. I'll check on the invoice and let you know what it is.

DJ
'84 B/N 454

nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2009 at 1:59pm
Duane:

I'll be sure to drop you a line when i get to that point. My focus now is getting the floor done so i can stick the motor in. The workshop has finished my motor detailing and i'm keen to close off there. After that..we hit the exterior. Not long from now though.

Are you sure i need to be giving the board lessons? With 8 1/2 with a BFN and some crazy riders at the vaal....good exposure. It would be great to get together going forward and enjoy the fun.

You play golf or are all those carts in the background for racing?

Don's Diary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBlockFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2009 at 2:09pm
Never really got round to the board thing. Kids and friends ride and I drive ! In the golfcart game.

I'd like to try some of your raley moves, but I need some coaching first!
'84 B/N 454

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBlockFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2009 at 8:04am
Hi guys

Supplier for rubrail rope is Elephant Lifting
012 661 6105 16mm Nylon rope(6m/kg) and I got 14 m but I don't know if the B/N has a larger circumference.

DJ
'84 B/N 454

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBlockFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2009 at 2:03pm
Hi guys

Just some pics of an add-on. Have had this big antenna base on the front forever and it has always been a pain for me to look at. So I decided to take it of and cover the holes with something more suitable ! What do you think

'84 B/N 454

WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2009 at 4:09pm
I think I cannot see what you are talking about.

Fixed:   Now THAT sir, is a kick ass hole cover !!! Very very cool.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2009 at 4:52am
Very nice sir! How and where did you get that done? A very creative solution....tasteful too.

I was chatting to Mrs Naut about a plaque of sorts or something embedded in the gelcote to the effect of:

"Lovingly restored by...."

Not quite sure yet but i will definitely want to do something special on my project....like on Orange crush (the CCFan 196) where Meloon's signature is embedded in the transom.

Don's Diary

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2009 at 11:34am
Donovan,

I don't know that I would do it on the gel, but definitely do that say on the glass in the motor cavity or somewhere it is easily visible. Or you could get a new dash plaque from CC stating that.
I put a little time capsule under my floor for someone to find. It has a sappy note about the restoration and such in it. Also a few bits of the stuff that was fixed, and such.
Fun little tribute to ourselves and our watercraft. I love the idea.

Mike N

1968 Mustang

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2009 at 6:41pm
Bigblock, thats sweet! Want to make me up a plate to cover the hole in my dash???

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2009 at 8:04pm
my first thought Tim, you could put a tissue dispenser in that hole
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2009 at 1:12am
^^Now THAT is funny!^^

That blows they put the stereo there, Tim. In my 90, I mounted mine in the glovey. In my 92 BFN, I mounted it on the side of the bulkhead and used a changer to play CD's.

Maybe a nice piece of teak? My BFN had a stepover to the bow and I had teak strips up the center of the dash. It would look good and eliminate that problem.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2009 at 2:36pm
Tim, how about a step pad like you have on your skier? Looks about the same size.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBlockFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2009 at 5:09pm
A friend of mine owns a machine shop. I drew it in SolidEdge and he exported it to Mastercam which runs the cnc mill. It would be very easy to do a cover for the hole in the dash and would look cool. I'm in South Africa so I would be difficult to measure for a perfect fit. But any decent machine shop with cnc could do it for you. If you like I could send you the .dxf files.
'84 B/N 454

nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 4:52am
Awesome! Really does a neat job and looks great.

Don's Diary

nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 6:34am
At last an update. I've become really slack at updating my progress and have been totally focussed on getting through the project...sorry guys. I have made quite a bit of progress as you can see below. My Dad did come around and we worked pretty hard for two full days to reach this point.

My departure from the original layout in the bow can be seen below where increased foam volume to more than comply with the latest flotation requirements by law. We also shaped a protective box around the vent hoses to prevent someone tossing in gear and ripping one of the vent hoses. I know it may still happen but this should prevent most such occurences. I may be mounting the bow fire extinguisher here.

I have also stuck to my original plan in glassing in a new battery box. After shaping the foam, i'll do a final smoothing out with epoxy fairing compound before laying in two layers of CSM and weave to finish. I chose to not install a drain as i believe this just creates more water issues in the bilge bulkhead, the main source of water entry in the original construction.

A fuller panorama of the bow area...

In my mates 2001, we always put a cushion under our rear end to improve visibility. I also want to prevent feet on the driver seat and butts on it's rear support so we raised the seat base by 2 inches or so. Someone posted this discussion recently which reminded me...thank you CCF.

A pic of the floor to bilge drain, unglassed at this stage.

Finally, a stern view...

Don's Diary

nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 6:40am
Here is a list of what's left to do for the interior before i drop the motor, carpet and furniture in.

1. Fillet and glass over all joints between ply floor panels and hull. This i'll do as the stringers with progressively thicker strips of mat.

2. Epoxy fair the battery box and set the glass layup.

3. Lay the forward main floor section and the rear floor support.

4. Coat and lay glass over the entire floor. 2 layers csm and weave.

5. Fair and sand out the bilge then paint.

Quite a way to go but i'm happy with the progress so far.

Don's Diary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBlockFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 7:29am
Don

Looks very good ! I can feel one part of my floor has a soft spot, so I guess I'll have to redo sometime. Thanks for your post. I'm following with great interest. Went footing at the Vaal this weekend and winter water is coming on. I'll come visit you once your project is done.

DJ
'84 B/N 454

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 1:23pm
Looking great D !!
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBlockFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2009 at 9:41am
Hi Don

Check out this website. It is also a rebuild but not as thorough as yours.
http://billsboatworks.webs.com/

DJ
'84 B/N 454

nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2009 at 10:02am
Thanks guys.

I know my thread is not as detailed as some but don't want to repeat whats already here....i'm already envisioning posting thos final showroom pics when all is done.

I have a great opportunity to do some work this weekend with public holidays and all. I've also taken leave next week so i'm sure i can log some useful hours toward completion.

Duane:

Thanks for the link. I believe this chaps thread is n here too which was very useful in planning my resto. Check out the posts by his username "Skibum". I'm really bummed that i wont be on the water this weekend so put in a double session for me this weekend.

If you ever decide the refloor project....give me a shout for all your supplies and the like. I'm more than willing to help where i can.

Don's Diary

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2009 at 11:33am
Hey Donovan,

How about an update from S. Africa? Haven't heard from you in a while.

Mike
Mike N

1968 Mustang

nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2009 at 5:02am
Hi Mike:

Sorry about the no show for a while. Just to keep you updated. I've glassed over the entire floor after laying all the ply as i stated above. I'd like to give it another final layer this weekend.....i've invested so much time and money that i thought i'll just give the floor one more layer of glass for security. My epoxy paint for the bilge will arrive this week. Thereafter i'll drop the motor in.

Work has been really hectic as we have major competition opening up in town and i've been totally consumed by that as well as the opening of another branch while revamping our existing premises.

I'll be sure to get on board soon.

Don's Diary

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2009 at 9:54am
I figured you were trying to make number 3, takes allotta practice
"the things you own will start to own you"
nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2009 at 2:10pm
Eric:

The deal with the missus is that i buy another nautique, then we can have another kid, but to have a second nautique, we need to buy that house at the lake...i like to call it domino effect....mrs naut would call this something else...

She's happy with the status quo...

Don's Diary

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3456>
  Share Topic