NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Restoring 82SN in South Africa

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 6>
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2009 at 3:02pm
Congrats and looks like some nice work on the boat!

I think you skipped over a few frames though...I really like seeing how others get to the same finishing point!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2009 at 3:50am
Eric:

Her name is Eva. I have quite a long surname so we kept our childrens names short.
1982 SN 2001 RIP (Resto in Progress)

Don's Diary

BigBlockFooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBlockFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2009 at 3:53am
Hey Naut

Congrats on your daughter ! It's a true miracle when a baby is born.

My daughter turns 16 now and my son 13, so I know what it's like to have two kids in the house.

I'll keep you posted on the rope.Did not have time this weekend to get to the Vaal. A CC reunion sounds cool !

Ever looked into buying a second hand boat from the States and importing it ?

Wonder if you'll get an import permit for a second hand one ?

Duane
'84 B/N 454

Footers do "it" for at least a minute.
nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2009 at 8:31am
BigBlock:

I have looked into it briefly. I know that Andrew Bourne (Bourne to Ride Wake School) in the cape imported one himself. I'm not to sure what duties and all entailed but he did mention about R50k to transport on a closed ship as you don't want the sea eating at your boat on an open deck.

While sourcing my rub rail i got in touch with Barry Stevens who used to own Quarterdeck Boat Supplies in Jhb. He now lives in the US and ships boats all over the world. While he was in SA he delivered 11 boats just before Christmas. My rubrail is in a container with his next lot of boats. He also mentioned that okes (and banks) are dumping boats like crazy now. He delivered a less than one year old 24ft Chaparal in Durban for USD32K which apparently owed the bank USD70k plus! Let me know if i can pass you his details.

Yes, i believe it is an option especially in the economic climate in the US. He also mentioned that he has a continual supply of boats as the wealthier consumers ,where he is based, regularly upgrade to new year models. So if you're in the market for a year or two old CC then he's your man.

Don's Diary

WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2009 at 12:58pm
Congrats on the new baby girl, Donovan.
My daughter turned 14 on the 16th.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBlockFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2009 at 3:29am
Thanks Naut

Yes, please forward me his details on duane@ezgo.co.za or 083 282 1698.

No harm in finding out.

Duane

'84 B/N 454

nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2009 at 11:05am
Mike, Duane:

Having daughters seems a challenge, especially seeing that i grew up as the eldest in a home full of boys, all our pets were male too. I may have to tap into your advice going forward.

Don's Diary

nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2009 at 11:36am
Well after our little miracle i've been able to put in a few hours on the project.

When i bought the boat i made sure that the motor and drivetrain were good. I did decide to send the motor in for some cosmetic work though. I asked the workshop to replace the welsh plugs, spark plugs and points. Outside of that i had them repaint the block and auxilliaries. I had them go with the traditional Ford look, yep, true blue blooded bull,...i'm stoked with the outcome. The pic is a bit blurred but here it is....i'll get another soon.

While i was home lending Mrs Naut a hand with the little one i managed to get a few of the smalls done. I polished some more thru hulls and finished off the strip, regrease and respray on the throttle.

this sure looks original, the throttle knob...

When i got the boat it had these on the nose. I believe they were an optional extra at the time of manufacture but i'm not quite sure whether i want them back on. Give me your thoughts........

Before we had our daughter i managed to cast the first bit of foam. Well i did manage to level my casting off and prepare and fit the floor supports between the secondary stringers and the hull.

I know it's odd that i haven't cast all the foam yet, but i haven't managed to source the right air ducting yet and i didn't want to get held so i've worked around it. Also, i hadn't sealed off the main stringers until i fit the cradle which fit well so i have also managed to begin laying the glass over those to seal from above. Once that is done i'll pour the foam between the two stringer toward the bow and hoepefully lay the piping soonest. This is how the bow section looks at the momoment.

I managed to trash the battery box edging when i disassembled so i need to find a way around that one. I haven't managed to locate a container that will do the job so i'm considering remolding one over whats left of the original...we'll see.

The week ahead i will push through final lamination of the top side of the main stringers and closing off on the ducting and piping. I'm not too far away now.....

Don's Diary

nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2009 at 11:41am
Also, i have a new most annoying thing while doing the restore....dust from sanding down the foam makes the boat helluva slippery. I've seen my naut a few times slipping on this stuff.

Don's Diary

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2009 at 12:22pm
Looks great Donovan!!
Mike N

1968 Mustang

nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2009 at 12:34pm
Mike:

I know you repainted your dash. Not sure whether i should do the same. Mine has a few scratches in and i'm undecided as to polish out or respray. The scratches are deep in that you can feel them when you run your finger nail over them. What paint would work best in terms of look and adhesion?

Don's Diary

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2009 at 2:26pm
My dash had been painted over the gel once, then at some point, primed and extremely poorly painted again with some crappy primer black colored "paint". I also had a bunch holes from who knows what having been mounted on it.
I am not a good painter and do not really have any good experience about what will work the best. I completely sanded the dash down. I filled the holes in with 410 peanut butter, and sanded that smooth. I used Interlux Brightside paint. I think it worked pretty well and looks decent. The paint shows every imperfection. You think it looks good before you paint, and then everything comes visible after. The plan in a year or two is to re-gel or repaint the boat so we are good with how it is now. It looks a million times better.
Pete is a good guy to ask. He recommended another epoxy paint product, but I did not care for the colors they had on the sample sheet, and I did not want to mess around with matching, or I would have used that. The Interlux just happened to be extremely close to the color we wanted so I used that. If you brush, you need a really good brush. Barbara hated the one I got at West Marine and is a big fan of Purdy brushes. Interlux says to use a china bristle brush.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2009 at 11:00am
Mike:

Thanks for the tips. I'll give it a wet sand when i do the top deck/superstructure and hope that removes the scratches as mine hasn't been painted before. If not i'll go the paint route and definitely use genuine chinese bristle with a thicker consistency paint. Hopefully that will do the trick. I'll let you know of the end result.

Don's Diary

nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2009 at 7:44am
Hi There:

Things got a little hectic with having children and my day job since my last post. A brief update on the project:

I really struggled to find 3 inch hose for the ventilation from bow to bilge which really wasted time. All metric here so there are no alternatives to the original in PVC and the like. I could have redesigned to accomodate but didn't. I eventually found some although at a cost.

Since the last post i have sorted and installed all the bow ventilation and routing for the wiring loom, steering cable and throttle cable. I also managed to cast foam in the bow area.

As i mentioned i have trashed my battery box on the deconstruction so i decided to shape it out of the foam cast and cast a new one out of fibre.

I'm tied up with month end at the job today but will take some pics of the progress made to date and of tomorrows work on the restore.

Don's Diary

nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2009 at 8:23am
Some motivation to pick up the pace:

Just up the road..

Don's Diary

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2009 at 11:16am
Good to hear from you on your boat again Donovan. You kinda dropped off there for a while. I had to take a 2 week stretch off in the middle of Feb, too.
Is there any reason not to just use a standard battery box set in the foam? Seems like it would save some time, and you can always replace it if it doesn't work to your liking.
That club you joined looks like it has great water, just gotta get you on it. How long do you think you have left? When does your summer end there? April or so?

Mike
Mike N

1968 Mustang

nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2009 at 12:12pm
Hi Mike:

I've really battled to find the appropriate battery box. The standard one seems to be US specific and i cannot find a local replacement i.t.o dimensions and the way the lip of the box is made. I also haven't found any box which will provide and alternative opening which will result i a neat fit and finish.

I thought of laying two layers of heavy mat, then shape smoothly with filling epoxy and seal with fine cloth. I believe this will give me the strength to hold up the battery together with a basic ply frame (sealed and laminated of course). Outside of cutting the box shape into the foam, i haven't progressed on the box so i can always refill the hole if i make another plan in the meantime. Let me know if you've seen any other solutions.

It really is odd that i've battled to find vent hose and a battery box. I would never have thought at the outset.

I could find vent hose at aircon distrubutors or pvc pipe at plumbers but all are too thick or too thin in diameter based on ruling construction legislation in SA. Frickin' wierd.

Unfortunately the prime of summer is ticking away but we can comfortably ski well into May here. June, July and August are cold (well for us that is at around 16 deg C at it's worst) but we'll still go out and braai (barbecue) and just cruize around the lake while tinkering and fine tuning for the new season. I also plan on spending some time sanding down the trailer and giving it a repray or powder coat over that time.

However, i should be finished with the floor soon. At the same time i have my gardener helping with the wetsand every Thursday while i'm at work. I only have the final grit to go then i can begin repainting the striping.

Also, here are the templates from the signwriter for the decals. May i have your honest opinions? It looks good to me. I did say to him at the outset that if i's not EXACTLY the same it's back to the drawing board at his cost. I'll measure this against my mates 2001. As a note, the lettering is all that's being cut on the sides (not the stripes), the gold 2001 decal is for the dash exactly as presented.

Don's Diary

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2009 at 12:17pm
Donovan,

If you need anything shipped from the US, I am more than happy to do it for you. Shipping costs are what they are, but we get a decent int'l fedex rate as we ship gear all over the world. Lemme know.

Mike
Mike N

1968 Mustang

nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2009 at 12:29pm
Mike:

Thanks for that offer. I might just take you up on that. Super.

Don's Diary

Clew In View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clew In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2009 at 2:21pm
Hey,

Does anyone have or know who sells the gold dash sticker?

Thanks,

Clew In
Clew In

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBlockFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2009 at 7:01pm
Hi Donovan
Glad you're back! Thought you'd be quiet for a while with the new baby.
Artwork looks great. Site even greater ! Finally brought the boat back from the Vaal for some maintenance. I replaced the rope(rubrail), added a 12" sub,2 6x9's,new Pioneer USB stereo, moved the positioning of the boat back on the trailer and serviced the motor and gearbox. What a mouthfull ! I'll give you some details later.
Cheers
'84 B/N 454

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2009 at 8:53pm
No, on the horns, they will slow you down, lol
the boat is coming along nicely, any sleepless nights with the new girl?
"the things you own will start to own you"
nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2009 at 5:06am
Clew:

I had mine cut by a signwriter after he measured it all up. Perhaps you could take the pic i've posted and do the same. If you're keen i'll mail you the scale file for your signwriter to use. Just supply me an address.

Block:

Great to hear you're also getting all your checklists done. Don't be shy to share pics of your stereo install. Where did you get your boat serviced and what was the damage if i may ask (wallet damge), also, what work did they do?

Eric:

I also think the horns are a bit cheesy. My daughter is very mellow and peaceful, i've hardly heard her cry at all. Mrs Naut is also a dedicated mom when it comes to night feeding. Naturally she has the goods so i'm not of much help.

Just a note...i've recently got into watching Nascar. I'll follow this season a little before i choose a driver or team to support. I'm leaning toward a ford powered car based on the heart of my boat. All the commercial breaks drive me nuts though.

I usually chose an underdog.

I've always been into NHRA, only top fuel and funny car though.

Don's Diary

nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2009 at 6:26am
My update as promised:

I had month end at the company this weekend so i only had Sunday to work on the project. Guess what.....more rain.

Here is a pic of the hose i managed to get. Standard 3 inch hose manufactured by mercury marine. All thats available in SA. Costa plenty.

A bit of local info for anyone in SA looking to do this resto. Epoxy resin, fairing, filling, cabosil and flocking from AMT (Advanced Material Technologies) in Jhb.

Foam from Resichem in Jhb.

Well. i didn't even open the boat due to the weather so i spent some time laminating and sealing all the wooden bits like the bow floor section (directly under the seats) and although i haven't cut the floor templates, i decided to laminate the ply sheets so long. All things to do indoors.

My floor layup will be a layer of thick CSM below (on the foam) followed by 6mm ply, two layers of CSM and a layer of weave for finish.I will also fillet and bead all joints with succesively wider layers of glass as done with the stringers.

The weather is good today so i'll open her up and post an update on the interior tomorrow.

Don's Diary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBlockFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2009 at 9:37am
Don

Do all servicing myself. Real easy. Bought a pump in the US to suck out old oil. Works like a charm. Also replaced the teak on the step plates. My brother in law does woodworking as a hobby an has some serious machines. I'll post some pics later.
'84 B/N 454

Clew In View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clew In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2009 at 10:38am
Hey Nautiless,

Thanks for the info. I can take the measurements. Good luck with your project.

Clew In
Clew In
nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2009 at 10:07am
Hi There:

After reviewing Mike's post and considering hours, it has really brought home the fact that i have grossly underestimated the hours to finish. I have adjusted my thinking and time frame based on Mike's post and put my mind to rest that this is taking a lot longer than i had planned. I originally looked at around 120 to 150 hours but 200 seems more like it.

Although he lives in another province, My Dad has mentioned coming over for a week of solid time on the project to fast track it a little. I've also put in a weeks leave in April to do the same.

Don's Diary

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2009 at 10:18am
It's a brutal realization, isn't it!?!
Oh well, you will get a good week to hang out with your Dad, which is more important anyway. And a week off work, to work !!!
Sweet!!

Mike
Mike N

1968 Mustang

nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2009 at 10:31am
Here are some pics of the bits and pieces worked on this week.

I filled with foam around the floor supports. My carving and shaping skills aren't too hot with foam so never ask me to shape your next foam surfboard.

I also cut out the bow floor section, rear floor section and bow kick plate out and began sealing these. They are now ready to go in. This is quite a milestone for me i.t.o having all the below floor wood sealed and placed into the boat before my Dad arrives to help. We can the focus on getting the floor boards down and sealed in with finishing work thereafter.

Rear removable floor

Bow floor section

An odd one when reviewing the site is the setup of the floor section around the pylon. Is this unique to my boat? Not sure...but i stuck to it none the less.

Another departure is to extend the driver footwell kickplate across the hull and fill with foam in the bow section. Thus will give me extra bouyancy and push me well over the limits prescribed by new South African marine legislation.

Perhaps we won't have more rain this weekend and i can post more progress pics early next week.

Don's Diary

nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2009 at 10:52am
Lol@Mike:

Bizarre, isn't it. What we do for release. After watching you post and considering my project it was like a cold slap. I'm fine with it though, a small price to pay for years of family fun.

Don's Diary

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 6>
  Share Topic