NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

440, 454, or 460?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 440, 454, or 460?
    Posted: April-01-2008 at 1:47am
Hahahah wow reid could you imagine and indy headed big block chrysler in a boat

Maybe a 505 stroker 440 block with an indy intake and heads. Can you say 600 hp easily:)
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 1:39am
Now they didn't need to know all that, Zach. We need to keep a few engine secrets for ourselves, don't we? He'll probably back out of the deal now. Next I was gonna convince him that it's a 413 Max Hemi Indy Wedge, so I could get top dollar. Those GM guys are so gullible.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 12:59am
A keen eye would be able to tell it wasnt a 383. a 413 is a raised block where a 383 is a short deck block. a 426 and a 440 are also raised block but a 400 is a short deck like a 383. Thats pretty cool it was called a golden commando in a boat. thats what they were called in that vintage of cars to.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2008 at 2:42pm
Steve, that sounds like an offer too good to refuse.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2008 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

I like that idea Bruce, about Steve keeping the Barracuda orig and selling you the Vortec. I once saw a 'Cuda for sale with a 383. Now wouldn't that be the sh%t, Steve?!   

OK...Reid... I like your idea...Now all you need to do is find me that 383 set-up....

Well lets talk Steve, as I really do like this idea as well, since I do have your 60's vintage complete big block Chrysler sitting in my shop right now, but it's that 413. Do a CCFan "413" search and you can see picts of it when we started to install it in our '68 SN several yrs back. But as you might imagine, the engine could use a rebuild. I bought it as a running engine with a ton of hours on it and the seller/owner acknowledged that it had been using a bit of oil for sometime. But had never been rebuilt before other than head servicing. A rebuild with a new grind cam, alum intake (easily found) and maybe flat top pistons would nicely raise the compression from its orig low 8.2 CR and HP rating of only 280@4000rpm. Something like 10:1 CR and 350 HP at somewhere around 4800 rpm would be cake. I even talked to a vintage cam grinder at Shadbolt Cams some time back who said he had RR blanks. Hopefully they are still in biz. The 413-B Golden Commando engine is listed in the Reference Section Chrysler manual. This particular engine however is a 1964 model I believe, but is still vintage correct, and you can always tell people it's a 383. I'll crate it up and send it out to you COD this afternoon!! I smell 56 mph.     
ReidP
1973 Mustang

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2008 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by MaddMarxx MaddMarxx wrote:

The Green Flash......??

Now who could he be talking about..??

reid..I have a deal in the works that if all goes well I should have the cash flow to order my new AFR heads and cam, soon, so you better put a tune up on the, Baby Blue bomber and the candy-cane crusier!

Mark, while I know you hope that any correlation between the color green and speed would naturally be about the your Lime Screamer, this time the "Green Flash" was in reference to Riley (Bruce's) light green Am Skier if he were to drop in 62wood's Vortec. Now go get those heads Mark!
ReidP
1973 Mustang

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2008 at 3:14am
Man you guys are callin' each other out months before GL.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2008 at 1:13am

The Green Flash......??

Now who could he be talking about..??

reid..I have a deal in the works that if all goes well I should have the cash flow to order my new AFR heads and cam, soon, so you better put a tune up on the, Baby Blue bomber and the candy-cane crusier!
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2008 at 12:56am

I like that idea Bruce, about Steve keeping the Barracuda orig and selling you the Vortec. I once saw a 'Cuda for sale with a 383. Now wouldn't that be the sh%t, Steve?!   

OK...Reid... I like your idea...Now all you need to do is find me that 383 set-up....but Im still not to keen on selling the Vortec.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2008 at 11:24pm
383 would be great. Makes me wonder why CC never used them. Mopars do sound nice. Our old Barracuda sounded sweet.

The Green Flash sounds good. I wouldn't change that engine a bit. Probably could even pass it off as a Ford to plenty of people up here in Maine. Those Vortec do go like heck though. You'll get to see Jeff Kostis' for youself at NE.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2008 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Reid, I looked forward to being schooled over some bugs and a beer or 20. Come to think of it, Steve Workman ought to keep that Barracuda original and sell me the Crusader wicked cheap. Wouldn't the Boat Dr die if I walked right by his American Skier with that plain Jane Crusader.

I like that idea Bruce, about Steve keeping the Barracuda orig and selling you the Vortec. I once saw a 'Cuda for sale with a 383. Now wouldn't that be the sh%t, Steve?! But as for the plain Jane Crusader walking the dog on Boatdr, well, his 331 is already north of 300hp, so you might have your work cut out for you. But it sure is a good place to start. The Green Flash......??
ReidP
1973 Mustang

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2008 at 4:19pm
Chev 502 or 572, its only money..
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2008 at 12:26am

Reid, I looked forward to being schooled over some bugs and a beer or 20. Come to think of it, Steve Workman ought to keep that Barracuda original and sell me the Crusader wicked cheap. Wouldn't the Boat Dr die if I walked right by his American Skier with that plain Jane Crusader.

Bruce, I'll keep that in mind, but that Crusader probably aint goin nowhere..
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2008 at 9:56pm
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2008 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by nautique frk nautique frk wrote:

Reid,
How bout a stroker 351 ??? Light weight good torque ?   I will give you a call. I am currently in Minnesota (Forest Lake, Nisswa, Detroit lakes) and Fargo ND Makeing some rounds before season hits.

Mike

Mike, Great idea about that engine, but JoeNY already beat us to it. And BoatDr has the 302 stroker covered. So how about a stroked 460! Have fun in the great white north.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2008 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

You got to do a lot or work on a Ford to make it run like one of those out of the box Vortecs.

Not seeing this. Late model PCM GT40s run just fine with the Chevy's even though they rate 20 less horsepower. BKH

I echo that Brian! I was previously thinking that Bruce really knew his stuff. I guess I'm gonna have to school him over a lobster and a beer or 20 at the NE Reunion. If only I was bringing a boat..........
ReidP
1973 Mustang

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2008 at 2:49am

I (bowtie) am going (bowtie) to stay (bowtie) neutral on(bowtie) this one(bowtie). In the past(bowtie) I would have (bowtie) given you(bowtie) my opinion(bowtie),but really (bowtie) dont want to (bowtie) confuse the issue(bowtie).

There you go with those "urges" again. There is medication to help your problem.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2008 at 12:42am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Hey Steve,

How would you describe the color on that there engine, Ford Blue?

Trying to remember but I think the SBC in my 80' was gold, the 206 SBC is Black.

Chris, I couldnt tell you... Ive never had a Ford to compare it with.. kinda baby/sky blue...for now. If I did use the Crusader in the cuda, would probably repaint it and use old style valve covers, etc.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 11:10pm
Reid,
How bout a stroker 351 ??? Light weight good torque ?   I will give you a call. I am currently in Minnesota (Forest Lake, Nisswa, Detroit lakes) and Fargo ND Makeing some rounds before season hits.

Mike
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 9:01pm

You got to do a lot or work on a Ford to make it run like one of those out of the box Vortecs.

Not seeing this. Late model PCM GT40s run just fine with the Chevy's even though they rate 20 less horsepower. BKH
Livin' the Dream

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 4:26pm
Hey Steve,

How would you describe the color on that there engine, Ford Blue?

Trying to remember but I think the SBC in my 80' was gold, the 206 SBC is Black.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 4:05pm
It runs bacerds? Then it's a no brainer, USE IT. I bet that boat will run 55 mph with that engine.

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 3:54pm
Yeah, its a complete Vortec 300 horse with a velvet behind...and it even runs "bacerds"..just like I need! Heres a pic..

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 3:17pm
Steve, I don't think it matters if the engine is original, especially if you've got the original engine available for future use. I'm all for keeping the boat as original as possible, but I don't see engines mods as such a big deal. Is the Crusader a RH? And is it a Vortec? I've got a Vortec Indmar 310 in my 03 Malibu Sporster and it screams. Jeff Costis put a PCM Vortec in his 73 Mustang and screams. You got to do a lot or work on a Ford to make it run like one of those out of the box Vortecs.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 2:53pm
Bruce,
Man, I'm torn....Ive got that brand new 350 Crusader engine/trans ,in my garage,still bolted to the original shipping crate,just waiting for a trans-plant. (Put it in and go forever)

BUT, even I am having a hard time with a non-original engine in that 'cuda. ..... Moj' found out that there were 6 or 7 SS models built that year. Soooo, what to do? (Pete should be proud, Im talking this way!?)
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 1:59pm

I (bowtie) am going (bowtie) to stay (bowtie) neutral on(bowtie) this one(bowtie). In the past(bowtie) I would have (bowtie) given you(bowtie) my opinion(bowtie),but really (bowtie) dont want to (bowtie) confuse the issue(bowtie).

Steve, does this mean that there is a Barracuda with a Chevy engine somewhere in the future?
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 1:29pm

LMAO!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 1:22pm
Is it really worth it to replace the existing engine with a big block? How much additional performance are you going to get? How much is it going to cost? And how much are you going to run that boat hard? Seems like that boat is a nice putting boat or maybe cruising somewhere in the 20's type of boat. Maybe a rebuild of the 318 is a good way to go.

But, to answer your question, I'd go the least expensive way.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 12:41pm
Damn it. I just posted the reidp bowtie picture in another thread, this thread would is perfect for it but don't want to wear it out.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 12:27pm
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic