Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Blown" Ford 351

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 14>
Author
William777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2020 at 11:41am
If im not mistaken that's my raw pump on the right with the pulley. Seems to me it will only attach to the boat in that config. Doing the test later when it warms up a bit here. 
1978 Martinique Ford 351 Windsor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2020 at 11:39am
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2020 at 6:17pm

Here are a couple of pictures to help you know if your raw water pump is installed correctly for Reverse Rotation.

First picture shows the pump housing with the infamous screw that people use to tell them if the pump is installed correctly for their rotation.

Second picture is what you should see looking down at your pump when it's installed the right way for Reverse Rotation. The screw isn't visible because it's on the bottom part of the pump housing facing kinda down and inboard Since you have a Commander, I won't tell you where the pump is since you already know it's not where it is on a PCM. Wink 

If it was oriented for normal rotation, that screw would be staring right back at you if you were looking at  the pump.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2020 at 5:41pm
I imagine that little hole you plugged with epoxy was probably about 1/2 inch in diameter. It was also probably an automotive pump since that hole is where the heater return hose on a car goes. another hole pretty close to that one is for the thermostat bypass on a car application and usually has a pipe plug screwed into it on a marine Small Block Ford circulating water pump

Running the hose from the pump suction to a bucket will tell you if the pump is oriented right. If it doesn't pump, rotate the pump 180 degrees so that what was the suction is now the discharge and what was the discharge now has the suction hose hooked up to it and give it a try.

And by the way, you're a long ways from exhausting every possibility of ***************g up an engine swap Wink

Edit.................See the next post to tell if your pump is oriented right without doing the bucket test.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2020 at 12:44pm
Correction, driver's side, starboard, if looking at the engine from the belts.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2020 at 12:42pm
Good morning all, and thanks as usual for the support! I'm heading up to the lake this eve. I do have a Commander and the pump is Sherwood, I remember that. One thing, Last week I tried my version of testing the water flow situation by removing the thermostat and inserting a hose there. Started the engine and the water drained out of the intake under the boat. It didn't appear to go into the engine. Don't know if that says anything to you guys. I called the engine builder and he confirmed I have the RR engine. He said the distr would not have meshed with the cam gear if otherwise. I'm keen on eliminating the raw pump before I have to tear the top down AGAIN. I'll do the uptake in a 5 gallon bucket prolly tomorrow morning.  And just now a crazy thought has occurred to me. I may have installed the wrong water pump. The previous block came from an old Mustang. It came with a water pump. I used it with the last rebuild, to my memory I didn't have a temp problem then but there was a little hole in the top passenger side of the pump in the rear that water was pumping out of. I JB Welded it and went on my way. On this rebuild I used the pump from my original engine because I was concerned about the JB Welded hole. No such hole exists on the pump I have installed now. The hole was not damage, I looked like it was drilled for some reason when the pump was manufactured. By the end of this drama, I will have exhausted every possibility of ***************g up an engine swap, I'm sure! Jeez. Are water pumps interchangeable between RR and SR engines? 
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2020 at 8:30am
Originally posted by William777 William777 wrote:

About the raw water pump being oriented the right way? Doesn't it only fit on the boat one way?

I seem to think you have a Commander, so if you can tell what the pump brand is (Sherwood or Jabsco) that would help but the answer is NO Wink

Probably need a picture of your engine looking right at the water pump and need to know if what you have now is still reverse rotation or standard automotive rotation to give you a good answer. Probably still reverse since you used the same distributor from the sounds of things

Or, you could take the suction hose from the pump and stick it in a 5 gallon bucket of water and see if it pumps it out or doesn't move any water at all

Depending on the pump, it should empty the 5 gallons in under a minute at about 1000 rpm's. Those would be good representative Sherwood numbers but the Jabsco should be about the same 
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2020 at 8:30am

About the raw water pump being oriented the right way? Doesn't it only fit on the boat one way?

I didn’t go back to confirm if we were talking about a PCM 351w, but assuming we are, the answer is definitely NO.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2020 at 8:15am

I'm also a little confused when I compare the photos of Keno and Gary. In Gary's photo it looks like the tab is sticking out of the bottom of the head. In Keno's photo it looks like the tab would be sticking out of the top of the head, unless those gaskets in Keno's photos can be flipped to install? Or, my eyes are playing tricks on me again. I guess the main point is the front holes on both sides are blocked. One gasket bead up and the other bead down? Forgive me if I'm beating the dead horse.  

The horse is dead, it doesn't care how much it gets beat now Wink

Some gaskets you will have one bead up and one down and others look the same on both sides. 

Just have the FRONT in the FRONT That's the important part

Like you said, the main point is that the front holes on both sides are blocked.

Not all gaskets for a SBF have as much material at the front as what Gary's photo shows, but there should be at least a small amount sticking out at the front lower edge of the head.

The links below will show 2 FelPro gaskets to compare

One is the FelPro 17060 like I took pictures of, not much will stick out on the front when it's installed right

The other is a FelPro 8548PT2 and it'll have a bigger flap hanging out like Gary's picture shows

Look close and you'll see the difference Wink The way the pictures in the links are, look at the upper right hand corner of each picture

And depending on what you used for gaskets the amount sticking out will vary, but you should be able to see/feel a little flap if they're both on right whatever brand and part number they are.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2020 at 11:47pm
I'm also a little confused when I compare the photos of Keno and Gary. In Gary's photo it looks like the tab is sticking out of the bottom of the head. In Keno's photo it looks like the tab would be sticking out of the top of the head, unless those gaskets in Keno's photos can be flipped to install? Or, my eyes are playing tricks on me again. I guess the main point is the front holes on both sides are blocked. One gasket bead up and the other bead down? Forgive me if I'm beating the dead horse.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2020 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I'm back!! Ha! I received the short block from Texas, new rebuild. Some help from a friend and an Oak branch the front yard got it out of my minivan and into the boat. Assembled all the other engine parts, had a hell of a time indexing the distributor this time. Got it tho. Put the boat in the water and it started and ran and then began heating up, and up, and up. Went through timing thinking it was heating due to retarded timing, was wrong there. Now I'm thinking I installed the head gaskets wrong. By the way, I broke two intake manifold bolts of torqueing them to spec, and one of the water pump bolts. Modern bolts are crap? They were replaced prior to the restart. Anyway, now I'm thinking I may have blown up the last engine cuz I probably put the last head gaskets in wrong as well? Overheated it. BTW, I've named her "Perseverance" , it just came to me, from somewhere!! So attached is a photo of an old thread. Can someone confirm this is correct? Thanks, William. 

Here's a link to the thread you copied that picture from

Sometimes you just don't know who to believe PCM and a dealer  or SkiDim or Ford.who designed and built the engine

In your case it sounds like maybe you picked the wrong people to listen to. 

Here's a picture that's probably worth a thousand words to show the head gasket orientation the way it should be Wink

In the thread linked above Alan's (81 Nautique) answer is as good as it can get...............the word FRONT stamped into the end of the gasket that's missing the extra holes goes to the FRONT on both sides of the engine.

With them installed right the flow is as balanced through the cylinders and heads evenly, with all of the cylinders and heads getting roughly the same amount of cooling.

The other way, you have some cylinders running much hotter and some running much cooler.

The gaskets in the picture are FelPro 17060 and they have FRONT stamped in on the top and the bottom of each gasket so that the front always goes to the front when you read that and put them on with the front in the front.

I think I've said FRONT enough times for now Wink

One gasket installed backwards isn't the end of the world though. People have run cars and boats like this without any immediate overheating issues and a normal looking temperature on the gauge, but long term it'll have an effect on the engine life due to localized overheating of the rear cylinders on the side with the backwards gasket.

If you're overheating, you have other issues to take care of.

The first most obvious question would be if your raw water pump is oriented the right way.

Thanks guys, Ill check for the tabs sticking out this weekend when I return to the lake. About the raw water pump being oriented the right way? Doesn't it only fit on the boat one way?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2020 at 7:08pm
Look to see if this highlighted tab is out on both front corners. If you are missing one that is the side that is backwards

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2020 at 6:28pm
By the way Bill, I'd say good to see ya back here, but it would probably be better if you were out boating Wink
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2020 at 6:17pm

I'm back!! Ha! I received the short block from Texas, new rebuild. Some help from a friend and an Oak branch the front yard got it out of my minivan and into the boat. Assembled all the other engine parts, had a hell of a time indexing the distributor this time. Got it tho. Put the boat in the water and it started and ran and then began heating up, and up, and up. Went through timing thinking it was heating due to retarded timing, was wrong there. Now I'm thinking I installed the head gaskets wrong. By the way, I broke two intake manifold bolts of torqueing them to spec, and one of the water pump bolts. Modern bolts are crap? They were replaced prior to the restart. Anyway, now I'm thinking I may have blown up the last engine cuz I probably put the last head gaskets in wrong as well? Overheated it. BTW, I've named her "Perseverance" , it just came to me, from somewhere!! So attached is a photo of an old thread. Can someone confirm this is correct? Thanks, William. 

Here's a link to the thread you copied that picture from

Sometimes you just don't know who to believe PCM and a dealer  or SkiDim or Ford.who designed and built the engine

In your case it sounds like maybe you picked the wrong people to listen to. 

Here's a picture that's probably worth a thousand words to show the head gasket orientation the way it should be Wink

In the thread linked above Alan's (81 Nautique) answer is as good as it can get...............the word FRONT stamped into the end of the gasket that's missing the extra holes goes to the FRONT on both sides of the engine.

With them installed right the flow is as balanced through the cylinders and heads evenly, with all of the cylinders and heads getting roughly the same amount of cooling.

The other way, you have some cylinders running much hotter and some running much cooler.

The gaskets in the picture are FelPro 17060 and they have FRONT stamped in on the top and the bottom of each gasket so that the front always goes to the front when you read that and put them on with the front in the front.

I think I've said FRONT enough times for now Wink

One gasket installed backwards isn't the end of the world though. People have run cars and boats like this without any immediate overheating issues and a normal looking temperature on the gauge, but long term it'll have an effect on the engine life due to localized overheating of the rear cylinders on the side with the backwards gasket.

If you're overheating, you have other issues to take care of.

The first most obvious question would be if your raw water pump is oriented the right way.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2020 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

You really need to, once you sort through the problem, start the boat on the trailer for these test runs.  If it was on the trailer and you didn't have cooling water coming out the pipes you'd know to shut down immediately and figure it out.  $20 in parts at the hardware store and you've got a safe way to feed it water on the trailer.

Just ordered, thank you. W.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2020 at 1:51pm
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2020 at 1:46pm
You really need to, once you sort through the problem, start the boat on the trailer for these test runs.  If it was on the trailer and you didn't have cooling water coming out the pipes you'd know to shut down immediately and figure it out.  $20 in parts at the hardware store and you've got a safe way to feed it water on the trailer.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2020 at 1:37pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2020 at 2:14am
After completely giving up last year on the boat I just wrapped the good bits up and stuck them under my house. Offered the boat for free to everyone I know so I could use the space in the driveway for my car, No one bit, Sunday I walked down to the ramps at the lake and saw everybody putting their boats in and that did it. I'm back in the game. Going to buy a short block and dig in AGAIN.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2019 at 4:06pm
Greatest thread ever!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2019 at 2:33pm
Mourning Wood made a very gracious offer to drive here to my house and help with the engine. Then I tore it down and found all the damage. I declined his offer in order not to waste his time. I'm light years away from a step by step rebuild at this point. In fact a rebuild is not being considered at this point. I'm thinking new engine if I want this boat. I'm grateful to Mourning Wood.
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2019 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

William, I think you would be far better off by looking over someones shoulder that is willing to explain every step of a rebuild with you. It looks to me like you are about to go down an expensive road again if you don't reach out for some help.

William initially accepted, then politely turned down an offer for precisely that.
Seems pretty determined to figure this out himself.
I commend his efforts....
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2019 at 11:02pm
The missing material in the damaged bearing has now gone through the entire engine and may have damaged other engine bearings or your piston rings depending on how long you ran it after the failure.
At this point your thoughts for a new short block may be exactly the easy way to enjoy this boat again.
Without going back and reading each post I don't remember are your heads in good shape? No reason to put old heads on a nice new short block.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2019 at 10:18pm
Hi Bill

You're doing pretty good for a hairdresser working on an engine

Better than I'd do giving somebody a haircut.

I'd probably practice on Pete's head full of long white hair.

Since you're spending some money I think I'd fork over the money for a Reverse Rotation 351W long block so you're starting with all freshly reconditioned parts and not bolting some old questionable condition heads on the fresh short block.

In the long run I think you'd be better off with the long block, maybe from the same place you're looking at the short block

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2019 at 9:56pm
Duane, no offense taken. I agree. Just put the crank back on the bearings which are in the engine as it sits upside down outside. Spun it and it wobbles a bit. Like it's bent. There is a ton of clearance at the front bearing prolly because the crank is worn down so much. Also the #5 bearings appear to have shrunk. They don't fit the block anymore. Not just worn down but overall smaller. I'm done for now. Found a short block at 1200 bucks delivered. That would be the best next step prolly. I'm beat.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2019 at 9:38pm
William, Certainly not being critical and please don't take it that way but I think you are in way over your head. I think you would be far better off by looking over someones shoulder that is willing to explain every step of a rebuild with you. None of us were born mechanics or pro's in our field. We were taught. It looks to me like you are about to go down an expensive road again if you don't reach out for some help. Hope you can find some competent help to lead you along. Just my $.02 worth. Good luck
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2019 at 9:26pm
I'm telling you it was twirling. I could be losing my mind, but it was twirling.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2019 at 9:24pm
      There is a deep groove worn in on one side of the journal where the scewdriver is. It does not go all the way around the journal.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2019 at 9:24pm
That crank is a nearly 3' long piece of machined cast steel. It will not twirl ever. It will rotate straight unless it is broken. It can't bend without breaking. You mentioned it rings like a bell so the part you are working with is not cracked.
That is why I asked for a picture. I am thinking you have an inch or 2 missing off the end of the crank now. I could be wrong. It may be inside your harmonic balancer at this point.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2019 at 9:14pm
I'm unable to identify why it behaved that way, It was moving as your finger would if you twirl it by the knuckle. And then it wasn't after I tore it down. I don't see how I could have found out what was going on without tearing it down. I think your point is, I need to figure that out before I buy another crank but how do I do that?.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 14>
  Share Topic