NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ENGINE ROTATION LOOK & LEARN

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ENGINE ROTATION LOOK & LEARN
    Posted: July-27-2006 at 7:45pm
Tim D
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2006 at 9:00pm
Thanks Tim
You know this won't be the last time you post that drawing
Scott
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2006 at 11:55pm
Finally! Thanks Tim...I have a manual for each of my engines and they say the same....and when you crank um...thats how they spin!

AND...as you can see...rh rotation is reverse from auto...and referred to as a reverse rotation!

Good job my man!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Cheaterpete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheaterpete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2006 at 6:47pm
Hi have reverse rotation on my Sn 74...

Don;t know why they decide to go that way...

I have problem with my starter because of the hi compression engine... starter is brand new but have difficulties to turn the engine.. and I can't find hi torque starter for reversed engine...
Actual boat SANTE 210 from 2014
Millar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2006 at 3:54pm
This may be obvious, but the rotation of the prop (caused by the engine rotation) is what causes the stern of the boat to "walk" one way or the other when in reverse. Water flow is restricted between the prop and hull (above the prop), so the boat will walk to starboard with the left hand rotation and port with the right hand rotation. Mine walks to port.

This is handy when docking (easier to dock on the port if your boat walks to port), and when turning around in a tight spot (easier to turn the boat around to starboard). You can turn the boat around in its own length by keeping the wheel turned (to starboard in the left hand case) and alternating fwd and rev.

Sorry if this is obvious.
Jim Millar
Lake Springfield, Illinois
'98 Sport Nautique
5.8L H.O. 290 HP (Ford 351, Holley carb)
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2006 at 4:28pm
(short version) The rudder doesn't do much in reverse.
Tim D
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2006 at 4:31pm
Jim,

Welcome to the site....and hello nieghbor! We are in Decatur! there are quite a few of us from IL.
BTW...do you know Jeff Loftus?
stang

The Super Air

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2006 at 5:56pm
Thanks Tim; save this tho, you'll need it again!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2006 at 6:04pm
I sent a copy to Keith so he could put it on the reference page.
Tim D
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2006 at 11:01pm
Does anyone know why they started making marine engines that rotated in different directions than auto's? This is not a trick question. I'm not smart enough to know the answer and figure some of you are.

"A world of pain, Larry. A world of pain."
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2006 at 11:20pm
I'm not sure if anyone really knows the answer. The most popular theory I've read is that the Clockwise (reverse) rotation engines counteract the weight of the driver when under power and make the boat ride level. In the day of 16 ft inboards, before spotters were required, this makes some sense. In dual engine boats, traditionally, a clockwise engine was used on one side, and a counter clockwise on the other. Again, this makes sense in terms of keeping these boats balanced. Today, most dual screw boats use gears to reverse the prop rotation, but the motors are built in standard rotation.

As a matter of practicality, it typically accepted that you should cirlce or pick up a downed skier to the drivers (starboard) side of the boat. If the need to reverse arises, a reverse engine motor will pull the rear end to the port, keeping the prop away from the skier. In other words, reverse rotation is safer than standard rotation in that regard. BKH
Livin' the Dream

stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2006 at 11:33pm
Well , I'm not smart enough to know the answer either...but Brain (I mean Brian) sure is! Good answer too...that does make sense. I have heard before the part about offsetting the drivers wieght , but not the skier part!
stang

The Super Air

The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2006 at 11:35pm
BK,
I've heard the very same explanation before about pulling the boat away from the skier (to portside)...interesting.

In Texas, you still don't have to have an observer if you have at least a 4 x 4 mirror!
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2006 at 12:36am
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

The most popular theory I've read is that the Clockwise (reverse) rotation engines counteract the weight of the driver when under power and make the boat ride level.BKH

I've heard that. My thought is always why not put the driver on the other side and leave the rotation standard.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2006 at 1:21am
Originally posted by jimbo jimbo wrote:

I've heard that. My thought is always why not put the driver on the other side and leave the rotation standard.

You know, I've wondered that too. I did some research and never found the answer, but I have a theory.

My theory: the starboard steering wheel goes back to English Shipping. English shipping pretty much set the standards for the world.
As I understand it, the wheelhouses were located on the starboard side because the ships docked and unloaded to that side. Right hand steering wheels became the defacto standard as boating developed.

Then my theory goes on: In the early days of slalom skiing, skiers actually did not cross the wake. Rather, they skied to one side of the wake. Buoys were a single line spaced evenly, and the skier merely skied around the balls. As I understand it, speed was increased until the skier no longer could make it through the "course." All of the pictures I've seen, seem to show the skier on the port side of the boat, opposite the driver.

One practical reason for not changing to port side steering is that most people are right handed, and operate the throttle with the right hand. Another is that it has become custom to pass clockwise around the turn island in a slalom course (driver closest to the island).

Of course, all this could be BS.

I just find it funny that all my friends with standard rotation boats, do nothing but complain when they drive the Nautique because this thing "backs up the wrong way" or "I can't dock this thing." On the other hand, I've never met a Nautique owner who has any trouble jumping in a standard rotation boat and driving it without issue. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2006 at 9:15am
I thought the steering wheel is on the right because the rules on the water for meeting other boats is opposite than that of driving cars.
Tim D
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2006 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

I thought the steering wheel is on the right because the rules on the water for meeting other boats is opposite than that of driving cars.

Tim, traditionally, I believe you are correct, another residual of shipping. However, here in California, the navigation rules provide that passing vessels shall pass to the port side. I believe the rules are similar on inland waterways throughout the US(ICBW). Again, seems more about custom and tradition than anything else.BKH
Livin' the Dream

fredo68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredo68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2006 at 1:24pm
where has 79nautique been for all this good stuff?
fredo68
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic