NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel Tank Pick-up

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Tank Pick-up
    Posted: August-05-2019 at 12:30pm
Last Monday I had a minor problem, The Sport (GT-40) ran fine, cruised around and skied and cruised some more. Then on the way to the launch at about 30 mph it started to bog down, surged a bit, bogged some more. It ran fine up to about 24 mph but much over that it would bog again. Stopped, started, it ran strong for 5 minutes then it happened again.

Luckily it was an easy fix - I started with the obvious, found the anti-siphon valve gummed up with the ball depressed, cleaned it up with brake cleaner and then flushed with water, some crud came out, once clean it seems to operate the way it should. Re-installed and all is well.

When doing this I pulled the fuel pickup tube out of the tank. No screen or anything on the bottom, just this scalloped end. Seems to be the right length. Was this someone replacing it without a screen? Or was it this way from the factory?

'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2019 at 12:31pm
Not sure what the picture problem is, I uploaded them OK and only about 300 kb file size. Pictures are a challenge on this site.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2019 at 1:08pm
Yeah screens at the end of the dip tube, seems a good place but i have never witnessed. one.
The only place i've found a cone screen was inside the high end of the dip tube after removing the dip tube from elbow fitting
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2019 at 2:09pm
Here'a a thread from not long ago in the link below.

97 Sport GT40 with a screen at the bottom of the dip tube

link
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2019 at 3:54pm
My boat is 24 years old now, so far the anti siphon valve has worked fine but maybe this is a good time for a preventative cleaning.

I have not removed the rear seat on the 95 Ski Nautique yet is there a simple quick release to get it out and check the anti siphon valve?
Thanks
Mark
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2019 at 7:17pm
Just checked my 98 SN last week. On it the back of the seat is held on the bottom corners with a rubber bungee type thing that pulls towards the front of the boat and over a pin to hold in place. Then just lift straight up and the seat back comes off some brackets.
Anti siphon valve looked like this.

84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2019 at 11:19pm
Question - Is a anti siphon valve for safety or so that someone doesn't get a five finger discount on stealing fuel ?
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2019 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by Faceplant Faceplant wrote:

Question - Is a anti siphon valve for safety or so that someone doesn't get a five finger discount on stealing fuel ?

Safety. The idea is if a fuel hose ruptures, or something else breaks and allows fuel to flow, the anti-siphon valve ball seats and stops the open flow. Otherwise, with our fuel systems below tank height, the entire tank could empty into the bilge.
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2019 at 12:37am
Makes sense . Thank you
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2019 at 9:10am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Here'a a thread from not long ago in the link below.

97 Sport GT40 with a screen at the bottom of the dip tube

link

And another link to a boat from the same time frame that had a screen at the bottom of the tube

link
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2019 at 11:44am
First, so I don't get on Ken's "list" about closure:

THANK YOU KEN AND OTHERS FOR YOUR HELP HERE.

After seeing two similar boats with screens, the question is whether I should install a screen or not. I've been running for the 9 or 10 years I've owned the boat without one, and not sure if no screen from factory or it was removed. Do I continue as is, or put one in?
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2019 at 10:11pm
Personally I prefer no screen, I have a filter accessable in line outside the tank, anthing that flows out of the tank will be caught in the in line filter before my electric pumps where I can easily change it as needed. Cleaning the tank screen is much more work. That is just my 2 cents.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2019 at 12:24am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Personally I prefer no screen, I have a filter accessable in line outside the tank, anthing that flows out of the tank will be caught in the in line filter before my electric pumps where I can easily change it as needed. Cleaning the tank screen is much more work. That is just my 2 cents.

What kind of filter did you install? Inline screw on type?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2019 at 6:58am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

I guess if you do it your preferred way, you're using the anti siphon valve as a "pre filter"to trap any big chunks before they get to your inline filter

Then you'll be scratching your head wondering why the in line filter is clean but the pump won't work right since the valve is all plugged up

Then you'll change the pump and still be scratching your head when the new one doesn't pump.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2019 at 7:02am
Dave

I have to keep a list of my lists.

I checked and you're on a couple of them but they're "good lists"   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic