NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

66 Mustang Rescue

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 66 Mustang Rescue
    Posted: April-13-2008 at 9:09pm
I imediately thought V Drive because of how high the exhaust were located. Didn't give it another thought after that as I'm not too inetrested in them. However, if Reid or anyone else is interested, I'll get over there and track down the owner. The snow is melting fast.
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2008 at 2:27pm
I see Pete . You are saying v - drive because the exhaust is up high . And the Southwind would be under water .
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2008 at 11:49am
Pat, It does look like a tall free board but the transom is flush and the Southwind's had the stepped transom. It is also a V drive and I only know of I/O, jet or straight inboards on the Southwind. We'll have to wait until Bruce goes back and takes a second look!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2008 at 11:38am
I would say that boat is not a Torino style . It looks to me to be more along the lines of a Southwind . The side of the boat looks taller at the back compared to the torino .
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2008 at 10:37am
I think the PVC is just on there for winter storage to keep the rodents from getting in. I just can't picture it being run on the lake like that. Driveway ? maybe if he has close neighbors that are complainers!

Steve, I may be wrong as I only thought the Torino was made in yellow but I thought the Separator (batmobile windshields) only came in white.

So Reid, You what to see how a 351 H/M V drive CC runs against the Donzi!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2008 at 3:24am
Reid, I don't know if it's for sale or not. It was parked in the woods along with the Mustang, an old outboard and a junked mobile home on a camp road leading to a small lake. If you're interested, I follow up on it in a week or two. The snow should be gone in a couple weeks. I'd call the pvc piping woodchuck mufflers.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2008 at 1:46am
Reid,
Its probably one of those ugly "Bat-mobile" looking things... You wouldnt want that.. would you?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2008 at 1:03am
Sounds good Greg, but married life for me is just too fun. And inexpensive.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2008 at 12:57am
Reid, selling something. I thought you just added more to the stable!
Greg

86 BFN
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2008 at 12:52am
Bruce, you know me and light blue. That Torino-looking mess has my eye. So when does the snow melt enough to eliminate the trudging? Those exh silencers tell me it was a conservative owner who rarely got on plane but who never mastered docking or the use of fenders. So is it really for sale? I'm definitely interested in selling something in order to get a nice Torino. Just not that many out there.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2008 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Pete, Timken is casted on the side and i would say it is somewhere from the 60's or so, i think it does say crusader on it.
any memories of what boat company or anything you may know about it?
eric

Can't help on this one! I thought you've mentioned the Crusader before? Was it when talking to Geno on his Torino/Spoiler/Separator? Speaking of which - Geno, what's going on with the boat??

Eric, Isn't this a Crusader? Not much of a picture - sorry!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2008 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Brad, The trailer really doesn't really look that large for the boat to me. Maybe a couple inches narrower would be nice. Hows the tongue weight?

Pete, you're right. It would be ideal if the bunks were narrowed up by about 3 inches on each side. The tounge weight is perfect where it currently sits (not quite up to the bow stop). I loaded it up and them bumped it forward a few times till it was right where I wanted it.

It may just be those fancy rims, but I think it looks fast just sitting still on the trailer

Bruce- It definitely needs some wax, among other things
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2008 at 5:35pm
are those are permanent?, or are they for running in the drive? if the boat was in NC i wouldnt think twice, but Maine? lol
"the things you own will start to own you"
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2008 at 5:29pm
Eric, I'd say they are to quiet the engine down, so you don't have the hear that through hull exhaust.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2008 at 5:22pm
white PVC????fill me in, dont say for water cause he could have brought the tarp down lower
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2008 at 5:19pm
Pete, my tarp guy brought me a Timken V-drive that was sitting in his garage, all my years...never seen one like this, it has 2 flanges and is heavier than some of the 2:30am leftovers, Timken is casted on the side and i would say it is somewhere from the 60's or so, i think it does say crusader on it.
Ideas keep going thru my head as to what im going to do with it.
any memories of what boat company or anything you may know about it?
eric
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2008 at 4:26pm
Probably right, Pete. It looks 70's and I that's the only VD they made back then isn't it? It didn't interest me enough to trudge through the snow. I like the below waterline extensions.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2008 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I just got back from snooping around western York County this morning and found these 2 that need rescueing.

The blue one looks like we found another non yellow Torino!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2008 at 4:10pm
Tim, I was thinking of you when I looked at the red boat. It's got the 1970 style steering wheel.

I couldn't tell you what year it is as it has mixed characteristics between the early and late 60's.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2008 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Brad, The trailer really doesn't really look that large for the boat to me. Maybe a couple inches narrower would be nice. Hows the tongue weight?

The proportions look just right, dont they Pete? I'm really digging the look.

Bruce, I would appreciate it if you took down the picture of that red Mustang before I get the notion to follow up about it. Thanks.

Brad, Im going to take a look at those trailer wheels on the galvanized trailer tomorrow. I may be in the market for a set of steelies that would look original on a late 60's/early 70's #2 trailer (like under the red boat Bruce posted).
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2008 at 3:56pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2008 at 3:54pm
Looks good Brad. I really like the color of that boat. You need to get it washed, waxed and get that boot stripe off it.

I just got back from snooping around western York County this morning and found these 2 that need rescueing.

Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2008 at 1:10pm
Guys- Here's a quick update on the Mustang rescue:
After a lot of driving around, swapping parts and answering questions from the local PD , the Mustang is finally perched on an original Correct Craft trailer. The trailer is a little big for the small Mustang and will need a couple mods (guide posts, bow stop), but I think it looks pretty dang sweet!

Old trailer: (now for sale!)

New Trailer: (from Tim's Freeport, aka the green monster)

Hot Rod setup:

Picked up a complete Interceptor engine a couple weeks ago that I hope will make a good power plant for the Mustang. Will start tearing into the engine tomorrow. Will post pics after tomorrow's progress.

That's all for now.
-Brad
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2007 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Auto trans fluid works well to free up an engine I've been told,something to do with the additives.

Yup, ATF has more detergents than motor oil.
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2007 at 2:40am
Thanks for the tip Gary. An old timer once told me that Marvel Mystery Oil is pretty much just ATF.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2007 at 2:11am
Auto trans fluid works well to free up an engine I've been told,something to do with the additives.My boat had been sunk before I got it,the engine was locked up but the engine oil and trans oil had been changed but never run.The input shaft of the trans rusted and damaged the seal when I started it.Ended up using a speedi sleeve like these, http://www.chicago-rawhide.com.au/Products/speedi.htm
and had no problem since.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2007 at 2:52am
Great way to start . I hope the little orphan roars to life. So she can feel and be loved again and not just kicked to the curb with no hopes of a better life .
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2007 at 2:14am
Quick update on the 66:
I spent a little time last week with the old girl.
Started cleaning out the inside. It was basically a giant squirrels nest/ squirrels swimming pool due to a plugged drain hole. The floor is a giant sponge as you can all imagine.
I ripped out the remaining carpet, sets, old life vests, ladder and anthing else that wasn't nailed down. Removed most of the acorns and chestnuts from the bilge.

On to the engine and transmission. It's the original 260 V8 with a 2 bbl carb and Velvet Drive 1:1.
The engine is in very rough shape and it's not likely to ever run again, but I'll do my best to give it a fighting chance. It's not clear if it was ever properly winterized and with the amount of water that had accumulated in the boat, the damage done is most likely fatal.
I spent half a can of PB Blaster just soaking down any bolt/ moving part/ linkage/ etc.
Pulled each spark plug- 7 of the 8 plugs looked good and no water. The 8th (#4 cyl) had water in it. Rear most freeze plugs were popped.
Removed all water from oil pan and #4 cyl. I took all the random quarts of oil I had been collecting over the years and dumped it in through the valve cover fill.

The transmission might actually be okay. Even though it was mostly submerged for God knows how long, it did not appear to take on any water. At least it thats the way it looked from the dipstick reading. Still some nice red tranny fluid in there. Pumped that out and filled to the brim with new fluid.
Removed the linkage and freed up the shifter mechanism. Prop shaft turns freely.

Removed the belts and freed up the circ pump and raw water pump.

Next I'll fill each cyl with MM oil and let sit for a couple weeks. Then put a breaker bar to the crank nut and see what happens. If it spins without too much grinding and moaning, then I'll put a starter to it and see what happens.

Well- that's all for now
-Brad

p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2007 at 2:03am
Mike those are some fabulous pictures and documents to the start of a fantastic boat .I am glad that some one was able to aquire copies of them before they were lost forever .
I go to a lot of auctions and see a lot of stuff that gets thrown away or neglected . I often wonder if there is any historical value in any of it .

Great find !
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
63CCSN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63CCSN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 8:19pm
nautique frk,

Leo is great to talk to!

I saw the stuff you posted in the reference section. It's great! Thank you for putting it up there.

Do you have pictures of your 64 you could email me? In particular the engine and the interior? I PM-ed you.

Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic