Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Re-foam

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DKLK68CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKLK68CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Re-foam
    Posted: October-25-2007 at 9:36pm
New to the CC world and this site. Our family as a recent addition being a 68 Mustang. The plan was a serious rub & wax and cosmetics. Well my curiousity got the best of me and I pulled the floor pan for inspection to find completely saturated foam, standing water! We have had many boats in the family over the years from 23' to 31' and I have never seen foam in anything. I know enough to know this is bad, but repairable. I know the whole stringer thing and yes some need work. I have looked through the forum to find posts on the subject but my question is why do these boats have the foam to begin with. I have seen the "noodle" job, makes sense, but still the boat will float without the foam, or not ??

Everyone seems very helpful with the posts and get ready, I am sure you will hear more on this adventure.

87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2007 at 9:47pm
The main purpose of the foam it to keep the boat floating if it were to fill with water. I think I have read it on one of the topics that the boat could fill with water to just under the gunnels and still float because of the foam. Then there is the argument that is on this that the foam adds some rigidness to the structure. The foam also helps cut down on hull noise.
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2007 at 9:52pm
The foam also could prevent the boat from filling with water if something was struck and compromised the hull.
hasbeenskier
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2007 at 1:09am
Welcome to the site fellow Mustang owner.Post some pictures when you get a chance.I took the foam out of mine years ago and never put it back in.As to hull noise, with 3" exhausts and HM manifolds all I hear is engine.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2007 at 7:04am
DK, Welcome and congrats on getting the boat.

The stringers have been replaced on my 77. The foam was not put back in and I have no noise problems, no ridigity issues and foam was sprayed under the decks and gunnels for flotation. The bilge stays nice and dry.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2007 at 2:54pm
Welcome Dk. I bought a 67 Mustang about 6 weeks ago and promptly removed the foam, much of it wet. I removed 5 33 gal trash barrels full, between 300 and 400 lbs worth. I do not plan to refoam the boat.
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2007 at 2:56pm
I did my 82 this summer and went back with no foam. I have no regrets. I just keep my insurance paid incase it sinks to the bottom.

I was expecting it to sound hollow but I did not notice any difference. The original floors are fiberglass and I think that the foam is neccessary to lay the floors the way they do. If you go foamless then you have to kind of redesign the floor.
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
mjess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2007 at 11:22pm
I'm also new to C.C.and this site but I've been following alot of the advise. I would like to say that this is the most amazing site I have ever seen. I have already made a few friends and have learned a ton about these old c.c.I think I get a call a week from the Boat Dr. just to see how I'm doing with my 1978 S.N.I bought the boat from the original owner with just over 800 hrs.I know that it had never sat out side for more then a few days a year. I used the boat all year with out having to repair one thing. I was installing a swim plat form that I built with help from Mark Mell and the Boat Dr. when I saw that there maybe some wet foam. So I cut the hole damn floor out.Well the foam was not wet it still looked new!But I did find the floor boards around the ski pylon had been wet and started to rot. The stringers are fine.I will not be reinstalling the foam.Jon4press how did you redo your floor?
ski naut
DKLK68CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKLK68CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2007 at 9:12pm
Thought I would share the project of our 68 Mustang. The foam was all removed (15 trash bags) probably 300-400# worth. Biggest surprise that the fresh air duct was completely closed with foam. I don't think this boat has had fresh air ever. The plan is an inline blower. Going to expose the stringers to let dry, reglass with West Systems, replace other wood structures and West, Interlux barrier coat the entire belly and put down 5/8" floor. And not put down the original floor pan without

Question: the only motor info I have is the intake is a Edelbrook Torker 289. Safe to say this is a Ford 289. Is this a OE motor and what kind HP does it have ?

Tried to provide a pic but failed. I'll try again other time.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2007 at 11:16am
Originally posted by DKLK68CC DKLK68CC wrote:

Going to expose the stringers to let dry, reglass with West Systems, replace other wood structures and West, Interlux barrier coat the entire belly

DK, I highly recommend that you remove all the wood so it does dry out especially the bottom sides. If you reuse it, use a moisture meter and make sure it is at least below 10%. You are on the right track with using epoxy and the moisture barrier to prevent future water moisture from getting into the wood but to do this you must remove the wood. You have forgotten the bottom edge of the stringers against the hull. Polyester (the hull) is hygroscopic and the epoxy (not hygroscopic) must go on that side as well. If not, you are creating a very nice environment for rot.

What happened when you tried posting pictures?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2007 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by DKLK68CC DKLK68CC wrote:

Question: the only motor info I have is the intake is a Edelbrook Torker 289. Safe to say this is a Ford 289. Is this a OE motor and what kind HP does it have ?

It is not safe to say its a 289 just based on the manifold, the same manifold would fit a 260 or a 302. It is safe to say someone has been messing around with the engine because that was not an original manifold. Depending on 2 barrel or 4 barrel carb I think you would be looking at 160 or 210 rated horsepower and a 302 engine in 68 as orignal.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2007 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

302 engine in 68 as orignal.

Joe, I believe Ive read that they CC was still using up the 289's in '68, so its just as likely to be either motor.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2007 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Joe, I believe Ive read that they CC was still using up the 289's in '68, so its just as likely to be either motor.

I have no doubt, in reality someone could tell me just about any engine was original in thier mid to late 60's correct craft and I wouldn't argue consistency wasn't exactly paramount back then. Without a complete history on this one and with a torker 289 manifold its very hard to tell what it is and how much is original, going to need casting numbers off the block (behind the starter) and the heads (varies) to even have a shot.

IIRC, the torker 289 was a fairly tall manifold with the carb mount actually twisted a bit and would fall somewhere between a performer rpm and a victor jr in the current offering, there might be a stout engine under that manifold.   
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic