Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best all around prop for a 70 Separator?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Geno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best all around prop for a 70 Separator?
    Posted: October-16-2007 at 11:18am
351 HM 290hp
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 11:24am
Is there a 12" on it now? If so, I would say a 12x14 would be a starting point. I'll email my friend who has the blue (original color!!!!) torino and see what is on his.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 11:45am
Have to agree old wise Poobah,with that motor and weight he may be able to pull a 12x15 but the 3 blade OJ Legend 12x14 is a good starting point.
Reid found that 12x15 takes a strong motor to spin it the 5000 he wanted. I have yet to try mine.
Naw tranny worked fine, what else would we expect from Eric,you would have heard me sceam all the way up there had it not.
But guys you gotta watch him, he ships all the trannys in left hand or normal rotation.He has a SICK SENSE OF HUMOR .....
Total hours about 8, mileage 150 total fuel 35 gals. Fun factor from running the Mighty Mississippi ,PRICELESS.............
Geno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 1:13pm
It's got a 12" 3 blade bronze - pitch unknown. I'm going to have a nick repaired so I thought I might repitch it while it's in the shop and maybe go for a new one if that's not feasible.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 1:26pm
Geno, the prop should be marked with the pitch even if it has been re pitched the prop shop will re mark it. Stay with the current prop untill you get some time to run it some more. I don't remember you having problems (besides the electrical fire) when you did have it out on the water.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Geno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 1:36pm
No - no problems at all with the prop - it's slow to come up on plane but I'm not going to pass judgement until I get the carb working right and put some tabs on her. I expect she'll always be a bit slow to pop up being a rear engine boat.
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 2:15pm
The correct prop size is: 12X16 with the 235 Holman Moody, 12X18 with the 290 Holman Moody. This is according to CC. They are very slow out of the hole.....but once they get going look out! Be careful coming off throttle too quick or water will come over the stern.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 4:00pm
Hmmmmm? Wow, those numbers seemed way outta whack until it's considered that this package has a reduction in the v-drive, as informed by Woody. Geno, I'd still want to start with what's on there now like Pete said. Have you looked on the side of the hub really well to see if there's anything there?
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 4:15pm
Reid, They seemed "out of whack" to me too so I called up north to see if my friend with the blue Torino had a chance to look at his. He will try to look when he gets home today. One thing I did learn is CC did use a couple different V drives with different ratios. The early Crusaders were 1:1 and then went to the 1.23:1 but then swung larger diameters than the 12". A 12x16 or even worse the 12x18 would have real bad slip.

Geno, You need to look at the prop again, the ratio on the V drive and get it back in the water to try. How's the paint job going?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Seperator View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seperator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 9:55pm
12" Dia is what it called for because the 13" was too close to the bottom of the boat and caused cavitation.

If you have the 290 hp you will need a Nibral 12x17SC-12x18SC (SC is Super Cup) to keep your revs in check (4800). Yes they are real slow out of the bucket but man do they run on top end.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by Seperator Seperator wrote:

12" Dia is what it called for because the 13" was too close to the bottom of the boat and caused cavitation.

If you have the 290 hp you will need a Nibral 12x17SC-12x18SC (SC is Super Cup) to keep your revs in check (4800). Yes they are real slow out of the bucket but man do they run on top end.

Sep, What year and what Ratio V drive?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Seperator View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seperator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2007 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The early Crusaders were 1:1 and then went to the 1.23:1 but then swung larger diameters than the 12".

8122 What do you mean by early Crusaders? Years?
Larger Diameters?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2007 at 1:54pm
Sep, It is my understanding that early versions had a 1:1 Crusader V drive and that's my basis on the 12x14 prop. It sounds like you have lots to add to our site and that you have some first hand knowledge on the Separator/Torino/Spoiler. Fill us in!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Geno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2007 at 1:59pm
I'm going to get the carb right, install the trim tabs and get her back on the water to see what difference that makes. I'll look at my prop and see what's on it late this evening.

Pete - the paint is not coming along at all at the moment - haven't been able to get to her in a while. We have decided on the yellow color all over though - Yucatan Yellow I think it's called
Seperator View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seperator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2007 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Sep, It is my understanding that early versions had a 1:1 Crusader V drive and that's my basis on the 12x14 prop. It sounds like you have lots to add to our site and that you have some first hand knowledge on the Separator/Torino/Spoiler. Fill us in!

I would be glad to help if I can but not sure what vee drive I have....
Just trying to get educated and clarify what year(s) "Early Versions" is and what year(s) they might have switched to the gear reduction vee drive.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2007 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by Seperator Seperator wrote:

I would be glad to help if I can but not sure what vee drive I have....
Just trying to get educated and clarify what year(s) "Early Versions" is and what year(s) they might have switched to the gear reduction vee drive.

One of the problems especially with early and low production CC's is there wasn't that much consistency. Many times they used what they had on hand to complete a boat. A good example would be the deck scoops. Some were purchased and others were CC's own fiberglass versions. As far as early and late, all I can say is pre 70 and post 70! You must have a later V drive with the reduction with prop pitches of 17 and 18. How about posting some pictures of your boat? Do you know the year of yours?

A early (let's say 68) will have exhaust risers forward and then the hose going under the engine and out the transom low. Later the risers were aft and very short sections of hose went out the transom high. These were the very loud ones!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Geno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2007 at 11:23pm
It has a Federal 12RH15 super cup on it now.
Seperator View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seperator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2007 at 1:23pm
Ok...that makes some sense. The Seperator I have is a Autumn Green 1970 Spoiler it does have the crusader vee drive so I guess it could have either ratio vee drive.

The prop that is on this boat to keep it at about 4800 revs is a Federal 12x19RH SC
Geno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2007 at 1:29pm
Damn - that's exactly the same boat I have. I wonder if you have a reduction in the trans - mine's a 1:1.

Do you still have the spoiler decals on the side and if so can you post good pics of them along with dimensions? I would like to have some decals cut to match the originals as closely as possible.
Seperator View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seperator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2007 at 3:14pm
I have SPOILER on the transom only...It is painted
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic