Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is this boat?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Splinters View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Splinters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is this boat?
    Posted: September-25-2007 at 2:20am
I just discovered a CC for sale near me but I'm having a difficult time trying to figure out what it is. The current owner thinks it's a 1957, but has no idea of the model. It doesn't quite match any of the pictures in any brochures, either, so I'm hoping someone here can help.

After reading similar posts on this site I contacted CC directly. David Hendricks doesn'tseem to have it nailed down exactly, but sent me a picture that does look similar. It most closely resmebles a Collegian, with the exception that it is a utility and not a runabout.

Try not to laugh too hard, but the story that comes with the boat goes that it was used at Cypress Gardens for the ski shows. Perhaps a tall tale, but it might explain why it seems difficult to identify.

It's 18' and has a Gray Marine 110. It looks like a gas pedal was removed and a hand throttle (a pull knob right of the steering installed. Some work has been done on it,but it looks pretty lously. It seems to have had dual horns, too (they're in a box that comes with it).

Here are a couple of pics. Let me know what everybody thinks.

p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 2:27am
I would buy it . How much?
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 9:14am
If it is 18' then I feel it's the 18' version of the Debonnaire. I know of one in northern Wisconsin. There are several of these models that very few were ever made. I'd be surprised if CC made 10 of them. How much? That's hard to say without seeing the boat. If you restore her, plan on putting in lots of man hours. How much would it be worth? Here again, the old wood CC's don't have the collectors value yet. They will as fewer and fewer wood boats are available. Who is David Hendricks?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
84zz4ss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84zz4ss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 10:26am
David is from CC customer service. You can see his name in the reference section as providing some of the manuals.
Thanks

Scott
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 10:40am
I was just wondering how long he's been around CC's. It really doesn't surprise me that he didn't know what it was.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 9:37pm
Looks like a Collegian or Debonnaire to me. I have posted some brochures on the site for these models.
Mike
Splinters View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Splinters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 9:38pm
Thanks for your comments. This has been quite an education! The seller wants almost $4k for it as it sits, which seems high considering it needs everything and resale values have't appeared to appreciate as much as other makes based on my limited research. The windshield is missing, too. I would think it more reasonable at $2k. It does seem pretty solid overall, and the drivetrain doesn't seem to have molested at all.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 10:05pm
2K is more like it! You may need 1000 to get (make) a windshield! There are many people who think they have a gold mine under the tarp out in the barn. Most don't but on occasion you will still here a good barn story.
Tim, If you get it, are you planning on restoring it? Yourself? What part of the country are you in?

I don't know your wood boat background but: It is a double planked bottom so you may not really know what the condition of the inner planking is in hidden spots. If the seller tells you all the bottom needs is to be soaked, He is full of B.S.!! I have walked on boats after that remark!!

Mike, The Collegian's were runabouts. CC did spot that it was a utility.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2007 at 2:53pm
Pete,

What's the difference between a utility and a runabout?

Thought of you last sunday. Was out on the lake pulling my son and water testing my newly repaired cooling system and this Beautiful!!! twin cockpit woody was cruising around, a big one, I'd say 21-22 feet. No badges on it so I couldn't identify it. He actually pulled up alongside to ask if we were ok when I had my cover up, (as my newly repaired cooling system still isnt quite right) I said we were fine (not really, but I limped back in) complimented him on his boat, and he took off. He did say it was his first time out in it. I should have asked him more about it, but I was pretty focused on and annoyed with my troubles at the time. Really stood out as this is not a lake where that kind of boat is seen to often.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2007 at 2:58pm
A utility has the engine cover (dog house) we are used to with our inboards. The runabouts engine is under a deck with deck hatches that open. A rear engine V drive is considered a runabout in the true sence of the wording.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2007 at 4:22pm
I have no idea what it is, but any planked wooden CC is a rare boat.
Splinters View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Splinters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2007 at 1:01am
8122p - I'm in Michigan. I was planning on doing the work myself (before I found out the price). I've had great success with other past projects (cars, fiberglass boats, jukeboxes, etc..) so the whole wood concept would (sorry!) be a new adventure. Some quick internet research indicated there are a number of books available on the restoration topic and with the free exchange of information on formus such as this I thought I was reasonably well prepared. Most of all, I wanted to enjoy it when it was done. Nothing looks more sexy than an old woody on the lake!

p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2007 at 1:24am
So , Did you buy it ?
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
Splinters View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Splinters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2007 at 1:47am
No, I didn't. The seller wants too much and I'm too cheap....

Heck, I' still trying to figure out exactly what it is. With the information here and directly from CC, I can safely say it isn't a standard model.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2007 at 8:42am
I was looking through Vol. II of Bob Speltz's "The Real Runabouts" which has a chapter on Correct Craft and spotted this picture! Here's the boat but still no name! Like I said before, it may have been a low production expieriment of a 18' Debonaire to see if it was marketable. The two in the picture may have been the only two ever made!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic