Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

firing problem

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MARK WALLACE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARK WALLACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: firing problem
    Posted: May-17-2007 at 7:30pm
I decided to change points, condenser, cap and button on distributer. the boat ran good before this. I had a problem last summer, It was like it wasnt getting enough fire to crank. you could turn the boat over as long as you wanted to and when you let off the key it would crank.( had a new coil on it) but anyway i decided to put the new points on it before this summer. The problem now is it will crank as soon as you touch the key now and sit there and idle fine,but when you give it gas it runs bad ,misses and wont rev up. I am stumped, can not figure what i did. any help would be greatly appreciated. THanks MARK
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2007 at 8:51pm
set the dwell, timing and adjust the carb and everything will be fine.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARK WALLACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2007 at 10:19pm
THANKS, I JUST CAME BACK IN FROM WORKING ON IT. I PUT THE OLD POINTS BACK IN AND IT RAN FINE. THEY LOOKED THE SAME BUT WAS MADE OUT OF DIFFERENT MATERIAL, I GUESS IT WAS THE WRONG ONE.
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2007 at 1:02am
Where did you get your parts from?
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARK WALLACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2007 at 7:45am
SKIDIM
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2007 at 10:40pm
Check your plug wire placement in your dist. cap. Could be you are one hole off all the way around the cap making the timing very retarded. Very retarded timing will behave the way you descibed included very quick starting. (The old Ford Model "T"s and model "A"s had a manual spark retard control to make them easy to crank.) If you have a timing light you can confirm this easily.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2007 at 2:09am
Did you try again with your new points? I'll have to go along with 79. I don't think you had them adjusted correctly. After installing points you need to set the point gap according to your engine's specs. Gap is set with points fully open (cam follower on one of the 8 high spots). This will get you close. Then, as 79 said, set dwell and then timing. If you don't know what a dwell meter is, write back or go to your local auto parts store and talk to a parts counter person.

Brian
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
JasonR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2007 at 8:42pm
regarding your first problem with letting the key go to run from start then it fires....thats usually due to a low voltage situation while cranking due to either resistance in the wiring harness, to much resistance in the ballist resistor/coil or to much amp draw from a falting starter not allowing the ignition systme to fire properly, when you turn the key off the starter lo longer has a draw and the ignition fires once. Take a jumper wire from the small empty terminal on the starter solenoid (usually the bottom one) and run it to the hot side of your coil. This bypasses the harness on the engine and B/R and gives battery 12 volts to the coil while the solenoid is charged. You will really see this situation on hot start problems with converted elec. ignition because the module needs a specific voltage to trigger. I believe it was at least 7 and no more than 11.
'86 2001 800hrs
Michel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2007 at 11:57am
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

set the dwell, timing and adjust the carb and everything will be fine.

How do you check if timing is right? What is the dwell....?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic