NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Groove in Driveshaft

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Groove in Driveshaft
    Posted: February-16-2007 at 9:33pm

Upon inspection of the driveshaft from my 87SN I observed a groove on the end nearest the transmission. (The groove is the dark ring to the right of the reflection from the flash - picture quality is not that great). The driveshaft measures exactly one inch. Inside the groove it is .98". The groove must have come from the packing seal; maybe it was too tight, I know it was misaligned at the end of the season. Regardless of what caused the groove - does this scrap the driveshaft?
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 10:35pm
Bill ,a new shaft from General Propeller will cost you about 150.00 add the prop you lose when the shaft breaks, not counting the strut or rudder damage.150.00 bucks would be a cheap fix .............boat dr
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2007 at 8:18am
if it breaks, that will be the spot, you may consider a dripless also, if its disclored at the spot it may have heated and changed the structure of the shaft and turned it very brittle at that spot
"the things you own will start to own you"
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2007 at 9:38am
Figured as much. Is that $150.00 for a double tapered shaft? (that is what I have now). I just bought an OJ dripless system as well.
Bill
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2007 at 9:43am
Ski Bum, call me with the over all length and will get you a price from Gen. Prop. they build the OEM shafts for C/C.....boat dr
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2007 at 10:02am
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Ski Bum, call me with the over all length and will get you a price from Gen. Prop. they build the OEM shafts for C/C.....boat dr

Sent you an email off your profile.
Bill
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 9:46am
150.00 bucks for a shaft that's pretty cheap must be made out of soft low grade steel, I paid almost twice that at wholesale prices for a custom length shaft made from the top of the line material. oh well to each their own guess I would expect that from someone using cheap rockers.

if the shaft isn't bent and you are going to install a dripless seal then you can re-use the shaft you have currently, If there is a sharp edge on it where the groove is then hit it with some sandpaper to knock down the edge before you install the dripless seal. And get the shaft aligned properly too.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 10:28am
79, Read the above post MORON,General Propeller is the OEM supplier of C/C shafts,I am able to buy a lot of parts at a substantial discount, and unlike you Chris do not try to add shipping nor any other charges.
A lot of this has to do with attitude towards venders and my clients. If I can pa$$ these on to my fellow C/C Fans I am more than happy to.
As far as you paying wholesale for that shaft ,sounds like you like it up the rear.But anyone that would use a scored shaft, or suggest a C/C fan is absurd.
But what the hell Chris ,your advice is free,and that is about what its worth.Have you ever seen the damage a broken shaft can cause, Oh i forgot you probably designed and manufactured those too...............boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 12:17pm
Again you missed it. You like buying cheap sh*t as in cheap quality materials as in cheap stamp roller rockers as in CHEAP      F U C K'n S H I T      I WOULDN'T PUT ON ANYONES BOAT, well maybe shallow pockets Doc's crap.

Sure you can get the 17 or 18 grade of aqualoy or auquamet both are bottom of the line materials for 150 bucks no problem.

Get the good sh*t... AS IN A QUALITY PART which starts with the material it is made from, then it goes to the skill of the machinist making it, then it goes to the process used by the machinist.

again more cheap sh*t from a cheap bastard know it all. It was nice talking with the guys about you yesterday they all had about the same comments it was funny a common theme, why would you do that, ... that's a cheap way... for a few more bucks you cold have.... I really had to control myself and laugh quitely, but it was a great day with great people and the motor turned out really nice. Now we just have to replace that point dist of his and it will really perform with the new heads and intake.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 12:59pm
cHRIS ,AGAIN YOU MISSED THE BOAT,these are the shafts that are installed from C/C, do you think they make their own or buy them from an outside vender?
As far as the Boat Dr. being the center of a conversation,you were giving someone else a break.Better to have shallow pockets than a shallow brain,you qualify Chris.How much did you pay for that shaft,I rest my case.
I am happy to pa$$ on any dicounts to any one on this site,on this note i will move on to other topics that are a help to those on this site,bashing ends here........boat dr
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

bashing ends here........boat dr

in proximity to where it started
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 8:02pm
HUMMMMMMMM
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 9:26pm
79, do that hum thing a little harder it feels good
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2007 at 10:31am
same old jack a$$ that doesn't know when to shut his f**king mouth
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2007 at 10:48am
SkiBum, Gen. Propeller called back with prices;
D/Taper are available in 17,19,22 grades
S/Taper also same grade 17,19,22
C/C uses the Auqamet 17 as their OEM.......
Not surprising though,as price drives the market.Aquamet 19 and 22 are more expensive,more alloys.boat dr
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2007 at 11:03am
Personally I'd change the position of the stuffing box(longer or shorter hose) add a good indexed safety collar and run it.I've seen older inboards with 3/4 shafts and bra$$ also prob out last all of us

Good luck Munday
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2007 at 8:04pm
Ya know, Munday i would run it too if it wasnt so purple, it takes alot of heat to turn something purple, shafts do need the ability to flex and twist a little and with a hard spot it dont wanna twist
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2007 at 8:55pm
I am not going to run the old shaft. I sent it to the boys at General Propeller and they will duplicate it for me. New stringers, floor, gelcote, perfect pa$$, ACME 540, and a drive shaft with a groove in it - just waiting to destroy a lot of hard work. No brainer.
Bill
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2007 at 9:13pm
Sorry I didn't know it was all new,or heat marked either.I;d replace it too,but I might figure out how to strap it to my trailer,Might still save an otherwise junked weekend esp. since its double taper easy to slide in.

Munday
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2007 at 7:38am
It may never break, Murphy's law......if it does break it will be July 4th weekend when everybodies in from out of town
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2007 at 10:30am
.... or Murphy's Law.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2007 at 10:32am
PlBC,
I dont know why i came up with newton's law, its getting to the point when i proofread a post, I completely spell a word backwards and go back and correct and words look funny, maybe i should start thinking opposite and things will turn out correct
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2007 at 10:41am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

PlBC,

ya we know your still on the first cup of coffee, or just missed the shift key. I do the same thing type then proof read and still miss sh*t.
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2007 at 11:29am
my spelling skills are great compared to my typing skills both are terrible

Munday
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2007 at 12:43pm
the problem is the sub conscience takes over
2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2007 at 1:29pm
Hey, my spelling is so poor I find myself opening Word and typing in works just to use the spell checker I do have problems typing what I am thinking....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic