NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Painted trailer

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SKI79PA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKI79PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Painted trailer
    Posted: January-28-2007 at 11:11pm
Got the trailer sandblasted then we paited it and rewired it all new LED lights and carpet will post more pics later
Root View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Root Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2007 at 12:13am
Nice job SKI,

I pull for Ken Schrader, even though he hasn't won in a long time....
RootRacing
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2007 at 5:21pm
SKI79PA trailer looks sharp, did you just pick out a red you liked, or did you get a paint code from CC?
SKI79PA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKI79PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2007 at 8:45pm
No the original color was offwhite. We used some left over red epoxy paint. Really durable .
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2007 at 6:25pm
Has anyne on this site ever thought about, rhino lining or 3M under coating a trailer when redoing it. If so how did it work out?

SKI79PA are you going to reuse the original boards that the bunks were made with or, are you making new ones? If you are making new ones how are you going to shape them.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2007 at 6:32pm
It's been done before, Look HERE at PN.
Andrew McBride View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew McBride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2007 at 9:49pm
The trailer looks great!

I rhinolined my fenders on my trailer. Sprayed single stage black dupont on the rest of the trailer along with some highbuild primer, and a final coat of gray sandable primer.

Andrew McBride
83' Ski Nautique
"Under Construction"
SKI79PA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKI79PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2007 at 11:23pm
I used the original boards they were in great shape. I had to put all new hardware on them. I used all stainless steal. Also marine grade carpet. It looks really good at night all LEDS
68lemans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68lemans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 1:04pm
I made my bunks on my trailer and we put one bolt in a time bending the board, working from the back to the front. It took four people and a couple of beers but we got it done and it was really not that bad. We put the boards on with no carpet and bent them and drilled all the holes and then took them off and put the carpet on. It only took an hour or two. (I used stainless as well)

You can see the new ones on my post.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5576&PN=1
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 7:12pm
I apologize in advance for a dumb question, but what do you do with the boat when you are re-finishing the trailer?

Also how do you check the structural integrity of the trailer? I think I have a lot of rust on the inside of the trailer rails (regtangular tubes). They get a lot of water inside them when putting the boat in. On level ground behind the truck, the trailer slants towards forward and I think a lot of water stays in the rails and doesn't drain well. I like the idea about rhino lining or 3M under coating, but don't know if the trailer is too far gone.

SKI79PA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKI79PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 7:28pm
My Father in law runs a meatal fab shop. I pick it up with one the 80 ton cranes. Then he sandblasted it took it to my friends he painted it and i rewired it and replaced all of the lights. Put it back on the trailer. The other option is to go you local marina and ask to rent a slip for a few days. If you do business with them they should be cool .
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 8:27pm
just ahng it from the rafters in the garage if your garage is tall enough and unfinished. That's what my uncle does when he repaints the bottom of his cris craft. Old wood one that is
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 8:34pm
Andrew, you work at a bodyshop?
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 9:04pm
Eric anymore snow today?
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 3:30pm
the only snow flying was the foam from your boat................. snowed a little today, supposed to get real cold. little more rot to pull out, wanted to get the hard part done to dry it out, that foam was soaked everywhere near the hull where it matters. you dont realize how much that wieghs the boat down with wet foam and saturated wood, my knees need a week or 2 break
"the things you own will start to own you"
aodmailboxes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aodmailboxes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 1:18pm
How much did it cost to have the trailer sand blasted?? I hope to rework my trailer mid-March.
SKI79PA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKI79PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 9:23pm
No charge for the sandblasting my father in law runs a metal fab shop
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2007 at 6:59am
aodmail, Sandblasting should run between $150 & $200. The best way to have it blasted is in pieces as this will allow the areas between things bolted together to be blasted as well.

tnplicky, there is plenty of over engineering on boat trailers so unless there are visable holes in the rectangular tubing of yours I wouldn't worry about it. Some sandblasters do have long nozzels that will go inside the tube but I doubt they will have one long enough. A wire brush designed for boiler tubes and extentions on the end of a drill works great. To prime and paint inside, I've had fantastic results with moisture cure penetrating zinc polurethane primers. They are low viscosity so they will get into spots you may have missed with the wire brush. I pour it down the tube and then with the foam end of the cheap brushes tied to the end of a long rod swab it around inside. With the moisture cure paints, you don't have to worry about big globs or puddles of paint inside as it will cure no matter what thickness of paint is left inside,

Be carefull with hanging a boat from the garage rafters. It needs to be looked at by someone who is qualified especialy if it is build with manufactured trusses. They are not designed for high loading on the bottom cord. I do hang all my boats in the garage (conventional stick framed) but I've made sure that the load is spread to multiple ceiling joists and the loads don't exceed the load numbers out of the book.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic